Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As far as I know the stop agreement in the DCC is for exceptional reasons. I see no reason why we should stop people.

I'm off on August 20th anyway, booked and all.

I am hoping to get away mid September

I'm not terribly confident tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Stheno wrote: »
    I am hoping to get away mid September

I'm not terribly confident tbh

I don’t blame ye tbh, reality is if NPHET decide it shouldn’t happen on the 19th, it won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

gozunda wrote: »
    No. Because when there was no vaccinations - having a young population most certainly was not an effective prophylatic to stop older cohorts being at risk from serious illness and death

And its not the 'very old btw. All those who are medically vulnerable regardless of age are at risk from serious illness without vaccination.

But we already know this.

Read back what you wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

You left out the most important figure from the UK... Vaccines

Over 44m of a population of about 65m, almost 70% of their population... Ireland are way behind in that.

Also the UK have a stronger health service and have had many multiples of our cases and deaths per million so not really like-for-like

No I didn't actually ignore the vaccine figures, I have considered them.

UK at over 85% first dose v Ireland at just under 70%.

Then I compared 60k at 1 location v sitting socially distanced minimal numbers.
    That in combination with the current increases in rollout.
    Sure they had multiple times our cases like they have multiple times our population.

Are you also ignoring the rest of the EU?

Sure couldn't trust the Germans to do a good job with covid I suppose haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

yeah many suffering long covid 18 months already but I do get to travel every month or 2 for a break next trip 6 weeks away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Very difficult to argue with that.

It really looks like we need a second opinion when what’s been given here looks so different to so much of the rest of Europe.

As we live in a democracy, members of NPHET would have no objection to this, right?

Here you go ...

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/threat-assessment-emergence-and-impact-sars-cov-2-delta-variant

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Read back what you wrote.

And ...

Or is it that you think prophylactic just means a form of contraception?

Is it true that under the "green cert" thing that people from green list and amber list countries no longer even require a negative test for entry let alone a vaccine?

And ...

Or is it that you think prophylactic just means a form of contraception?

No No. I have children, thank you. Do you?

I suggest you read once again what you wrote. I'm not sure you caught your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

I suggest you read once again what you wrote. I'm not sure you caught your point.

Write she said and she never wrote.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you would explain - rather than make it a guessing game. Thanks.

Edit:

If I remember correctly this is the second such comment I've had to explain - the first was yesterday when questioned about the use of the term 'plague Island' as a term used by people in the UK.

:that was another poster - my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

JRant wrote: »
    De Gascun should stick to his wheelhouse and leave matters of national policy to the government. NPHET have given their letter, random members of the their inner sanctum being roled out for soundbites is not what they are paid to do.

Indeed, couldn't you too leave matters of national policy to the government too JRant?

Perhaps you would explain - rather than make it a guessing game. Thanks.

Edit:

If I remember correctly this is the second such comment I've had to explain - the first was yesterday when you questioned the use of the term 'plague Island' as a term used by people in the UK. I believe you thought they were 'ignorant people" for doing so?

Nothing to do with me. Can we stop cluttering up the thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

That’s completely beside the point

O Leary has been an absolute cretin for the entirety of the pandemic

Don’t be naive.

He cares about one thing. Ryanair profits.

Thankfully most ppl see through his agenda

I suggest that Ireland would have benefited greatly from placing this "Absolute Cretin" in charge of NPHET from the outset of this 15 month old "Public Health Emergency".

Mr O Leary's firm have cancelled my late August flight to a smaller London airport,but hey - ho I was able to rebook FREE OF CHARGE to a larger one (I always make a point of availing of ANYTHING offered FREE by Ryanair )

I,for one am thankful that the man cares about the financial health of HIS company,as that same level of concern is markedly absent from both Government and Public Health Advisors in relation to the Country at the moment.

Thankfully,as you suggest,I can indeed see right through O`Leary's agenda to the far more attractive scenario on the other side of it,so Bring it on sez I ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

bear1 wrote: »
    Who are the silent majority?

Presumably the majority of the population that have remained silent. I think we sometimes forget that less than 1% of Irish adults are regularly active on twitter, and only a fraction of that again active on places like boards. The majority have indeed stayed silent on this.

If red c is to be believed however there is no majority for extending restrictions, in fact the population is almost split down the middle last time it was asked. The fact that there isn't a majority though should be irrelevant to government policy, as it's governments job to lead not follow. You'd find it hard to get majorities for spending cuts or tax increases but that doesn't mean they are sometimes necessary and prudent.

One needs to be careful about opinions attributed to "silent majorities"

Presumably the majority of the population that have remained silent. I think we sometimes forget that less than 1% of Irish adults are regularly active on twitter, and only a fraction of that again active on places like boards. The majority have indeed stayed silent on this.

If red c is to be believed however there is no majority for extending restrictions, in fact the population is almost split down the middle last time it was asked. The fact that there isn't a majority though should be irrelevant to government policy, as it's governments job to lead not follow. You'd find it hard to get majorities for spending cuts or tax increases but that doesn't mean they are sometimes necessary and prudent.

One needs to be careful about opinions attributed to "silent majorities"

I'm one of the 99% who isn't active on twitter and I think your 'point' is tosh, please debate further.

Does any one at all find it weird that our 'leaders' issue their views, edicts, and commands via a crappy platform that limits the number of characters you use, and is distinctly anti Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

What's current best guess for USA travel opening time-frame? I guess they might revise the country list, in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Indeed, couldn't you too leave matters of national policy to the government too JRant?

Newsflash MrM, I'm not part of a group giving pessimistic projections to government and neither do I have regular briefings with them on matters of national health.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

After listening to a few NPHET members on radio today, you'd have to wonder were they ever planning to open indoor dining before September. Remember months ago and we kept hearing about an outdoor summer and just the way they were talking today made it sound like it was never on the cards for us.

Just the way with the antigen testing, if they were going to open indoors on the 5th July like they say they were if Delta never came along, wouldn't antigen testing be safer than no testing? Since when has NPHET ever taken the riskier version?

They really did a number on the government with this. I'd almost feel sorry for them if it wasn't their own fault for having no backbone and brought in antigen testing sooner rather than going on radio saying government policy is to embrace antigen testing and then do nothing about.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Newsflash MrM, I'm not part of a group giving pessimistic projections to government and neither do I have regular briefings with them on matters of national health.

So maybe you could leave it to the experts then instead of claiming to know better?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Aph2016 wrote: »

All fart and no poo judging by his replies to comments.

Until he posts it, it's Ewan looking for attention. Quelle surprise there.

Another conspiracy theory bites the dust.

https://twitter.com/NewGranada1979/status/1409185402280316929

So maybe you could leave it to the experts then instead of claiming to know better?

What does De Gascun know about international travel and how is he an expert in it?

I also love the logical fallacy of appealing to authority, like that's any sort of argument at all. "Oh but he's an expert", am expert in what exactly? Here's a hint it ends in 'ing' and starts with 'test'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am curious about these experts.

Three CMO's, Scotland, England and Ireland. All experts apparently.

Yet when it comes to Covid and the delta variant, one of those three experts is offering very different advice to the other two.

You seem to know a lot about experts, can you explain why this is? If they are experts, how can any of them be wrong?

Why is he mentioning that the Delta is real? It looks like another made up argument MM is having in his own head again.

It would also seem he has no intention of opening indoor this month and quickly tried to backtrack on what he said by mentioning "maybe even sooner" after saying it wouldn't be for a number of weeks.

Alas, never fear, he has spoken to the world's foremost authority on the Delta variant, none other than Nicola Sturgeon. We can all rest assured that MM has the best minds engaged on this matter and should drop any hint of questioning the "very clear" numbers from 'D'Modelling'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Easy money being that McKenna continues to be the big prick and attention seeker he's always been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Appears to be a prominent NPHET members kid or family member, rather than the NPHET person themselves, hence the reluctance to post it.

Advertisement