Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Genuine question.

Does anyone still believe we will be opening up indoor dining on the 19th of July to everyone as was planned for the 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

the kelt wrote: »
    Genuine question.

Does anyone still believe we will be opening up indoor dining on the 19th of July to everyone as was planned for the 5th?

Zero chance, there is no possible way they will be ready even if Tony allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Genuine question.

Depends on UK data over the next two weeks and how much progress we make on the antigen testing plan and, of course, the pass they don't want to implement. 70% No at this stage and another MM speech to the nation about what we need to do. I'm more curious what he'll say about the rest of the summer and into the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Leo trying to rein Tony in again it seems...

Somehow however, I don't think it'll be up to Leo and Micheal though. NPHET pushing fear and hysteria, and their one-note lockdown "strategy" means that they'll get their way in the end - again!

I've actually started to think that this nonsense could well go on until the 2 lads swap jobs next year, and Leo does what will look good for Leo - which in this case coincides with what most of the public want.. A return to actual normality.

Last June or so Leo categorically stated that the era of national lockdowns was over, at worst we would see short regional ones.

I would bet my life savings that no other country in Europe will go into lockdown again.

Us though? We tend to do things differently.

re Leo vs MM, they need something to seperate themselves from each other come election time. Cue Leo saying MM was ridiculously cautious in the summer of 2020 given the rest of Europe proved this thing was over, but that for stability he felt unable to challenge him.

Anyway, with any luck street protests will have forced an election long before then. Mehole was determined to not be the the only FF leader not to become Taoiseach. I'd like some other titles attached to his Wikipedia.

- Only Taoiseach to be forced from office/ early election by street protests

- Only former Taoiseach to be jailed

- Only former Taoiseach to end up living in homeless emergency accommodation after having lost his assets in civil actions from the Vintners and Restaurants Association

The list goes on, really.

The funny thing is he actually seems a nice enough fella, but his bumbling incoherence and absolute ineptitude on all issues has been simply criminal, and he should be prosecuted as such.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Genuine question.

No tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

Genuine question.

No, I think they'll announce some half-arsed "roadmap" of next restrictions easing on July 19th with nothing actually implemented on July 19th. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

is_that_so wrote: »
    Depends on UK data over the next two weeks and how much progress we make on the antigen testing plan and, of course, the pass they don't want to implement. 70% No at this stage and another MM speech to the nation about what we need to do.

Tony doesn't even want PCR testing to be allowed for indoor dining. It's vaccine/Recovery or nothing.
    You'd have to wonder if it wouldn't tempt a few young people to get Covid so they can qualify to fly and dine indoors by proving recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Tony doesn't even want PCR testing to be allowed for indoor dining. It's vaccine/Recovery or nothing.
    You'd have to wonder if it wouldn't tempt a few young people to get Covid so they can qualify to fly and dine indoors by proving recovery.

I must say I'm quite happy to have caught Covid with what it appears is now happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Genuine question.

As usual, a new group has been set up to study what is essentially already known in other jurisdictions including antigen tests. A report issued and sent to state bodies to examine the findings. A report issued and proposals sent to cabinet.
    Cabinet discussions with involved parties including industry sectors. Back and forth, push and pull, a decision finally achieved.
    With all that, what are the chances the final destination will be achieved on july 19, 2 1/2 weeks from now?
    Slim..
    But, if there is a will there is a way.
    Cabinet is not willing though, so..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ballynally wrote: »
    As usual, a new group has been set up to study what is essentially already known in other jurisdictions including antigen tests. A report issued and sent to state bodies to examine the findings. A report issued and proposals sent to cabinet.
    Cabinet discussions with involved parties including industry sectors. Back and forth, push and pull, a decision finally achieved.
    With all that, what are the chances the final destination will be achieved on july 19, 2 1/2 weeks from now?
    Slim..
    But, if there is a will there is a way.
    Cabinet is not willing though, so..

If there's anything FF do well it's set up new bodies to "look at" things and commission reports that go nowhere.

It's how to be seen to do something while doing nothing.

MM has changed nothing about FF.

• Advertisement

There is an inevitability to what NPHET will advise but not necessarily what the government will do. For now it's to closely follow that advice, but even the small deviation into antigen testing is a sign that they will not continue to do so indefinitely. The numbers over the next few weeks may dictate how soon that could happen. NPHET has now worked itself into a position where their advice is likely to be viewed with a lot of initial resistance. The callous indifference of the enforced hospitality pass seems to have annoyed an awful lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I said this exact same thing. I can imagine the Covid parties already!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Big Covid lecture from the driver of train over the intercom before train leaves. Would he ever feck off and just drive the train. Nobody cares anymore.

lawred2 wrote: »
    If there's anything FF do well it's set up new bodies to "look at" things and commission reports that go nowhere.

It's how to be seen to do something while doing nothing.

MM has changed nothing about FF.
    TBF the "looking at" has been passed to an expert group and some work has already been done on antigen testing recommendation. The logistics of it will be the real challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Leo trying to rein Tony in again it seems...

Somehow however, I don't think it'll be up to Leo and Micheal though. NPHET pushing fear and hysteria, and their one-note lockdown "strategy" means that they'll get their way in the end - again!

I've actually started to think that this nonsense could well go on until the 2 lads swap jobs next year, and Leo does what will look good for Leo - which in this case coincides with what most of the public want.. A return to actual normality.

Leo is probably right. We’ll see a spike in infections etc during this month but it will be short lived. By the end of this month we potentially will have administered another million shots. Not to mention how many more by the end of August. We will not see another January.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Big Covid lecture from the driver of train over the intercom before train leaves. Would he ever feck off and just drive the train. Nobody cares anymore.

Saying what?

That sounds daft.
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    Leo is probably right. We’ll see a spike in infections etc during this month but it will be short lived. By the end of this month we potentially will have administered another million shots. Not to mention how many more by the end of August. We will not see another January.

...which is exactly what is taking place in the UK presently.

Only a big fool would need complex modelling to portray the current situation. We all know what is going to happen. And NPHET are wrong - again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

niallo27 wrote: »
    Zero chance, there is no possible way they will be ready even if Tony allows it.

It’s not a matter of Tony “allowing it”

It comes down to the situation in terms of numbers and projections - all based on expert advice

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It comes down to the situation in terms of numbers and projections - all based on expert advice

Numbers like less than 50 in hospital and 15 in ICU numbers?

Numbers like less than 50 in hospital and 15 in ICU numbers?

To my lay man’s view, delta has changed “the best laid plans”

To borrow a phrase - Man plans, the virus laughs....

Sadly this is the situation we are in now.

Expert advice means nothing if the advice is wrong.

NPHET have been omniwrong throughout this pandemic. True, they got it right at times and wrong at other times.

But they are not infallible. At this stage, simple logic and politics should lead the way and not fantasy projections from the dullest, least charismatic member of NPHET - dry Philip Nolan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

To my lay man’s view, delta has changed “the best laid plans”

To borrow a phrase - Man plans, the virus laughs....

Sadly this is the situation we are in now.

"Man plans, the virus laughs" is not a phrase.

Expert advice means nothing if the advice is wrong.

NPHET have been omniwrong throughout this pandemic. True, they got it right at times and wrong at other times.

But they are not infallible. At this stage, simple logic and politics should lead the way and not fantasy projections from the dullest, least charismatic member of NPHET - dry Philip Nolan.

Personally - and I would say MOST ppl in Irl have this view - I don’t care not a wit or a jot about charisma, or if someone is dull or interesting

It ain’t showbiz. It ain’t Vegas.

Actually - dull is probably preferable in terms of qualities of a scientist/medic

I would strenuously agree they are not infallible btw. Infallibility would be a dreadful idea when it comes to scientific enquiry.

I care solely about their relevant expertise and what they can offer Govt in terms of sound advice

beaz2018 wrote: »
    "Man plans, the virus laughs" is not a phrase.

The original is man plans god laughs

Personally - and I would say MOST ppl in Irl have this view - I don’t care not a wit or a jot about charisma, or if someone is dull or interesting

It ain’t showbiz. It ain’t Vegas.

Actually - dull is probably preferable in terms of qualities of a scientist/medic

I care solely about their relevant expertise and what they can offer Govt in terms of sound advice

Well, I do.

It pains me to half to death to listen to that dry, grating voice ramble on for a half a lecture; the Father Austin Purcell of medicine.

And based on these fantasy projections of 700k cases and 2,000+ deaths, he's not only dry but also seriously deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

is_that_so wrote: »
    TBF the "looking at" has been passed to an expert group and some work has already been done on antigen testing recommendation. The logistics of it will be the real challenge.

Yes, i heared the interview the head of that group had on the radio.
    The issue does lie w implementation but that is not the whole picture.
    It is about the timing and willingness of parties to come to an agreement after reports are issued.
    That can be fast or slow.
    The cabinet and industry have opposite positions atm.
    The cabinet wants tests, industry does not.
    As i said before, the push and pull alone creates delay.
    I have the feeling industry will at some point give way and accept antigen tests, just to get things going.
    There is no reason f cabinet to give way. PCR tests are a non runner, neither are no tests.
    After that it will take time for industry to implement the agreement.
    Again, all this takes time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

What numbers?

Well, I do.

It pains me to half to death to listen to that dry, grating voice ramble on for a half a lecture.

And based on these fantasy projections of 700k cases and 2,000+ deaths, he's not only dry but also seriously deluded.

Well, maybe listen to Ryan Tubridy or Claire Byrne /Ian Dempsey if you are looking for a professional broadcaster with a voice you like....

I would put it to you that The rest of society don’t particularly care about voices or charisma (or lack there with) of the national experts

Personally I don’t care if they have all the charisma and charm of a sodden cardboard cornflakes box.

The ppl of this country care about their expertise and the quality of their sound advice to our democratically elected leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

They care about their expertise and the quality of their sound advice to our elected leaders.
    You are right there. And when the quality of their sound advice is at odds with every other country in Europe they will reject it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I've a feeling we will. That this pox will become a background seasonal thing that does the rounds and we'll live with it like flu and pneumonia. Not nearly as destructively mind you, though my concern remains the politicians and some advisors who are reticent to let go of the limelight and power who will keep rattling the "massive spikes!" cage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Well, maybe listen to Ryan Tubridy or Claire Byrne /Ian Dempsey if you are looking for a professional broadcaster with a voice you like....

I would put it to you that The rest of society don’t particularly care about voices or charisma (or lack there with) of the national experts

They care about their expertise and the quality of their sound advice to our elected leaders.

Agreed.

Which is why I referenced Nolan's erroneous, fantasy projections. I care far more about the fact that his figures are seriously deluded - so much so, that these projections have paralyzed government into freezing the reopening of not just part of hospitality, but all hospitality.

It's yet another shameful scar on the ugly face of this spineless government.

That said, I did send an email to Philip Nolan in the summer of last year, asking him to up the charisma and energy levels. I clearly failed in my attempt, as evidenced by the worsening charisma and energy levels dispensed from his vocal cords over the past year.

Advertisement