Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

they can think what they like but nothing bar an unrestricted full opening is justified.

Anyway RTE have asked the HSE for a breakdown of the numbers of who is in hospital with covid and who is in hospital because of covid.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2022/0112/1273204-hse-hospitals-covid/

The cat will be out of the bag I'm sure as I've always been convinced the numbers were inaccurate - in fact a sham to perpetuate the whole hysteria and rule by decree that we have endured.

This could be a government ploy to cut the legs off NPHET scaremongering

Meanwhile, the Health Service Executive has said it will have data tomorrow on the number of patients in hospital with Covid-19 and those in hospital for other reasons who have tested positive.

The HSE and the Department of Health were previously unable to provide the information.

Following a request from RTÉ News to the HSE for this information, the HSE directed the query to the Department of Health.

The HSE said that as this information is reported to National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET), the query needed to go to that department.

Interesting question - did NPHET have this info all the time and refused to release it?

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'd guess we'll be 3/4th fully open by late summer then shutting up shop again in late autumn/early winter.

you nailed it. I have a firm belief your analysis is correct . there is control of information to control the message and process.

if it was clear that most of those hospital cases and ICU cases would be there anyway this would have ended in the summer of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It shouldn't take that long at all. If the unwinding plan is starting in February then we'll be done by April. The only question is on masks and social distancing, which may take a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's correct, employers can't ask about your vaccination status barring a change in legislation happening.

People can sue the manufacturers to their hearts content as part of the FDA full approval process and the EMA Conditional Marketing Authority (it's literally there on the site describing what CMA is), not sure why people keep pushing this as a point.

• Advertisement

All of the data is there up to November in the CSO analysis, there will be data added for December soon enough as well.

I think Omicron has changed the %'s but they'll still be gathering the December data for a few weeks, part of the problem with our non-digital health system (I think you can go over to Denmark for more accurate up to date information that should be broadly reflective of what we see).

did you link the wrong post? - i didn't mention suing anybody

but in reply - this is the response in the European parliament - the answer is probably not to suing pharma.

question

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-9-2020-004950_EN.html

Answer

As defined by the Product Liability Directive(1), any defect will need to be established before the competent court with a proof of the damage, the defect and the causal relationship between defect and damage.

The Commission assumes that the second question refers to a situation where a company is not held liable due to a hidden defect.

Article 7 (e) of the Product Liability Directive provides that ‘the producer shall not be liable as a result of this directive if he proves: that the state of scientific and technical knowledge at the time when he put the product into circulation was not such as to enable the existence of the defect to be discovered’. If the company is not held liable, it will not be obliged to pay compensation.

The COVID-19 vaccines advance purchase agreements provide for Member States to indemnify the manufacturer for possible liabilities incurred only under specific conditions set out in the agreement. In all other conditions not defined in the agreements, Member States will not be obliged to indemnify the manufacturer.

That literally backs up what I was saying. Note that the advance purchase was done under the presumption that the approval would be emergency which means that every individual batch gets sign off but that the liability falls on the country, under CMA, the liability falls on the manufacturer at the advantage that each batch doesn't need individual sign off, all European vaccines went under CMA likely due to the excellent safety profile of the mRNA vaccines which also led to the Adenovector vaccines following similar approval. CMA has a higher burden of documentation required for approval and was one of the reasons why it took longer for the EMA to approve (and one reason they started doing rolling approvals to speed up the process). The UK used emergency approval (I think it still is) and so did the FDA but have since moved to full approval for Pfizer (which again, would allow the patients to sue Pfizer but gives Pfizer greater ability to market and distribute the vaccine).

The more pertinent question is whether anyone is trying to sue the country or manufacturer and has been blocked from doing so? I'm sure the anti-vaxxer groups will be trying to push a test case somewhere.

And also that listed side effects are at the patients risk, but again, if there were very adverse events, the country administering the medicine would pick up the tab, as they would for any treatment (unless the issue was down to the vaccine producer as happened in Japan with Moderna, then the producer would be picking up the tab).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

more BS reporting and have myself to blame for looking at it 🙄

Massive boost If this was to happen but nope not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

This was asked a couple of days ago on here but with no definitive answer as far as I could see. Anyone know if the HSE will definitely use positive antigen test results to give a covid Recovery Cert? Is this likely at all? I'd be reluctant to go through the whole rigmarole of testing & tracing if there wasn't a promise of a Covid-19 Recovery Cert for testing positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I dont take issue with the HSE sharing that with Nphet. Not sharing that on the official HSE website is my gripe. It seems that Nphet acts as a Politburo the same concerning government with 'asking' the CMO what they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Positive news. Lets hope so.

'Prof Nolan said there ‘won’t be a sharp descent’ in cases after the peak, but a levelling off.' Where the hell would he get that calculation from given the sharp rise and fall in other countries including the UK now? Never mind, the man is not to be taken seriously. Too bad it continues to hit the news..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Look at the best case scenario v the actual scenario ... it's an absolute f*cking disgrace what they are doing ...

OF course the covidians will be saying it's because of the lockdown in NL...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

It could affect the worry index. The deliberate obfuscation of this info by Holohan with his 5% nonsense took some neck which is no surprise from him. Of course very little blowback from our media.

It is not his job or at least it shouldn't be his job to try and frighten the nation by inventing bullsh!t stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

For the second time recently, I'm in agreement with you. Although I do think the government have these numbers too.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like case numbers have peaked, as test positivity rates are coming down.

This is the one where Government did nothing, just stood off and let nature take its course. The spike curve will look very similar to last year's, when they locked us down.

It's almost as if Restrictions don't actually do anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭MOR316

Not to go off topic but, on the subject of vaccines and boosters...

I have never had any health issues, not overweight, lead a relatively healthy lifestyle with no family history of health problems. When I got the booster, I was in bed for a day with chest pains. They can say what they want but, that is not normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Anecdotally, I have heard of quite a few people getting the **** kicked out of them with the booster while the first two shots were relatively mild.

Same...There is a guinea pig vibe to all of this

• Advertisement

This may shock a lot of posters on here and that absolute turnip Styo Speedman on Twitter but, here is the fundamental truth...

We're not God! We're human beings! We cannot stop the impossible so stop trying!

This is by no means a criticism of your choice whatsoever but I find it baffling that you took the booster anyway, surely knowing on some level that you don't need to because, as you stated you are quite fit and healthy.

Lots of people I know are in the exact same boat. They just went along with it because it was offered.

It's so strange to me hearing people, including in this thread, say things like "that's it I got my booster but no more, that's the last one now."

Who are they fooling?

They did the 5pm closure after they opened up too soon in summer/autumn. A 180 degree turnaround in december. But that was during Delta. Hospital numbers still going down there despite Omicron taking over. There are a lot of people now demanding the 5pm closure to be scrapped.

The more Omicron data comes out the better it looks.

It is milder and that is not simply because of immunity and vaccinations like some continue to insist upon.

How long can health officials hold on to the old narrative? It is tipping on all fronts outside their domain and even inside..

Well in my case, I had to get it as I am travelling to the States soon and my "vaccine cert" would have been deemed void so. They only let you in if you're vaccinated and all is up to date. Same with bars, restaurants, theatres etc over there

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gotten it. Pointless otherwise

I get it. Same reason I took the "first" vaccine myself. Hopefully the States will be better craic than here!

Michael Martin is apparently on the Late Late tomorrow to give a coronavirus update.

There's a small possibility that he could be aiming to soften the country up for an actual relaxation of restrictions. By God I hope that's the case.

You've no idea how happy I am that it's the actual Taoiseach and not Tony Holohan again.

In years to come, the media circle jerk of Tony Holohan will not be looked upon fondly by the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I’m sure Tubridy will tear into him. Ask him all the hard questions. Make him squirm. Right?

Exactly same here, I got it as I need it to travel to Netherlands next month...

Yep, and the fact that it generally doesn't effect the lungs, just stays as an upper resp. infection - this is a game changer!

I know of unvaccinated people that got it and not a bother on them.

This booster campaign is pointless waste of time - for younger non vulnerable people at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

About as much chance as that happening as they have of ditching the discrimination certs anytime soon i.e. none

Advertisement