Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing CPU

Options
  • 29-06-2021 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Dell Optiplex 3050 tower and I'm considering upgrading the processor.

I have no idea what to look for in terms of compatability/correct fit, or even how to go about making the purchase.

Is there a website similar to Crucial (for storage and ram) that I can put in the model (of motherboard, I assume) and will give me a list of possible chips, so that I can choose?

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks Fritzelly

I can't see anything there that helps. I'm reasonably competent with tech, but not knowledgeable enough to work with some of the required info here.

That's why I'm wondering if there is a site where I can put in my motherboard and simply get a list of suitable chips for me to choose from.

I assume that because it's a Dell motherboard, then that might be an issue.

Tommy

Thanks Fritzelly

I can't see anything there that helps. I'm reasonably competent with tech, but not knowledgeable enough to work with some of the required info here.

That's why I'm wondering if there is a site where I can put in my motherboard and simply get a list of suitable chips for me to choose from.

Tommy

The link takes you straight to a list of compatible cpu's for your socket

Decide your budget and whether the new cpu is worth it against your current one

All I could find is LGA 1150 socket for towers

(meant 1151 as in link above)

Thanks sugarman

Here is the data from Speccy

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7500 @ 3.40GHz 33 °C
    Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0W0CHX (U3E1)
    Graphics
    DELL S2721D (2560x1440@75Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 630 (Dell)
    Storage
    931GB Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (SSD)
    931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 32 °C
    Optical Drives
    PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH
    Audio
    Realtek Audio

• Advertisement

Whats the purpose for upgrading the CPU?

Thanks sugarman.

I don't game, so not worth it for that reason.

I posted this because my processor failed the Windows 11 check.

However, I may have been a bit hasty, as I see (surprise, surprise) that MS have stated that the compatibility checker is not accurate and will be changed.

I'm fairly competent with tech, but hardware is not one of my strong points and being curious, I'm still looking to find a "help" site to assist us mere mortals when looking to change CPU (similar to Crucial for drives and memory). Maybe one doesn't exist.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Adding to that, if it fails W11 compatibility, upgrading to an i7 of the same generation will also fail.

When I run CPU-Z, it indicates that it is 1151 LGA

Is there somewhere I can shop for a compatible CPU (with integrated graphics) using the socket type as input?

What are the other issues I need to consider, other than socket type?

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only compatible CPU upgrade is Intel Core i7-7700/7700K or Xeon E3-1275 v5 / v6.

None are worth it as they just add hyper-threading & they are not Win11 compatible.

Intel LGA 1151v2 is NOT COMPATIBLE as the socket is (confusingly) different.

For official Windows 11 support, you will need a new PC. Thanks to Dell using proprietary parts, the only things you can carry over would be RAM (DDR4) & hard drives/SSDs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement