Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do landlords get contents cover for apartments

• 29-06-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

If i dont care about the contents of a property and only care about public liability. Do many ll get contents cover?

The apartment already has block insurance so i thought id check what other people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hi All,

If i dont care about the contents of a property and only care about public liability. Do many ll get contents cover?

The apartment already has block insurance so i thought id check what other people think?

Landlord might get content cover for thier own property (BED etc) but they would not be able to get cover for tenants property, unless they were somehow liable for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

So im trying to figure out if contents cover does anything for me. If my contents are damaged, i dont care. I will sort it out myself. My question is really only around is content cover worth it for a ll if they dont care about contents and only care about public liability.

Im finding out that block insurance can cover for fixtures and fittings for public liability so cant see a reason why contents would be useful then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I had the very same question re public liability.
    If for instance the tenant sat on your chair and it fell apart and he suffered serious injury. I assume the contents insurance would cover you. Similarly, if the tenant tripped and fell on a a laminate floor board or was electrocuted by a faulty electric shower ( perhaps I'm being too dramatic)I assume contents insurance might indemnify you?. As a very frugal person I decided it was worth the €80 annual premium, it costs even less when written off against income tax.

I would be interested in other people's input on this. This question is obviously specific to apartments ( where the areas outside the apartment I.e. Common areas are covered for public liability by block insurance.

I'm not sure if block insurance covers a leak within your own apartment damaging your own apartment contents.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    If for instance the tenant sat on your chair and it fell apart and he suffered serious injury. I assume the contents insurance would cover you. Similarly, if the tenant tripped and fell on a a laminate floor board or was electrocuted by a faulty electric shower ( perhaps I'm being too dramatic)I assume contents insurance might indemnify you?. As a very frugal person I decided it was worth the €80 annual premium, it costs even less when written off against income tax.

READ YOUR POLICY AND MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS
    Contents insurance covers damage that occurs to household goods. These include furniture, clothes and home electronics items such as TVs. You are covered for any damage to household goods caused by fire, water, storms, burglary and vandalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If the structure is the cause of the accident, the block policy will cover the liability. If your belongings, activities or occupancy of the apartment is the cause, you are liable and you need your own cover.

The block policy does not cover your contents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Jim2007 wrote: »
    READ YOUR POLICY AND MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS

I'm NOT making assumptions regarding my policy. FYI I DO read my policy and don't need you to tell me.

I was informed by MY insurer that my contemts insurance covers me for public liability indemnity for the scenarios involving fixtures and fittings. I dont know if other policies cover the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I'm NOT making assumptions regarding my policy. FYI I DO read my policy and don't need you to tell me.

I was informed by MY insurer that my contemts insurance covers me for public liability indemnity for the scenarios involving fixtures and fittings. I dont know if other policies cover the same.

So for the benefit of anyone else reading the thread you have both contents AND public liability insurance. But contents policies to not cover public liability by default.

Advertisement