Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwiring a ring

Options
  • 29-06-2021 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

There’s no existing hardwired doorbell in the house. What exactly is needed to hardwire the Ring Doorbell?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Brian017 wrote: »
    There’s no existing hardwired doorbell in the house. What exactly is needed to hardwire the Ring Doorbell?

Without meaning to sound smart you need wires connected to the correct voltage and maybe also to a chime. There are loads of wireless options available though, I thing Ring even sell a rechargeable battery pack, that might be a better option, pair with a smart speaker and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

You will need to run a cable to the board into a transformer or spur off a nearby socket into a transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you already have a Ring doorbell?
    If so what model do you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Davy wrote: »
    Do you already have a Ring doorbell?
    If so what model do you have.

Yes I have, it’s the Ring Doorbell 3 Plus. I just don’t want to have the bother of recharging the battery even if it’s only every 3 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes I have, it’s the Ring Doorbell 3 Plus. I just don’t want to have the bother of recharging the battery even if it’s only every 3 months or so.

It would be easier to buy a spare battery, keep that charged and swap when you get a low battery warning. Or if you have decent sun get the solar charger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Del2005 wrote: »
    It would be easier to buy a spare battery, keep that charged and swap when you get a low battery warning. Or if you have decent sun get the solar charger

Spare battery is what I ended up doing.

Annoyingly I had it wired but I got a new door recently and the installers left the doorbell wire inside the new door frame (and with only about 2 cm of length protruding). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Del2005 wrote: »

I’ve seen plug in adapters that you plug-in to a socket. Are these a viable option or would you still go with the spare battery option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I’ve seen plug in adapters that you plug-in to a socket. Are these a viable option or would you still go with the spare battery option?

Perfect if you have a socket nearby and can dress the cable nicely

Advertisement