Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strife with fixing an alarm.

• 29-06-2021 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Holy crap. I am just banging my head off a wall here. I am trying to get a simple alarm replaced on a rental house. It is wired in, but problematic, old and needs replacing.

I need a new panel, 5 contacts and a PIR. Wiring is all in place, just needs the hardware renewed. I just had an alarm company trying to tell me a superduper wireless panel is 300 euro then add the sensors. While a wired panel is 750 euro plus sensors. Both systems about 900 euro.

The wiring is already there, it is a rental house, basic and simple is good. Does anyone know anyone around that can do this work without trying to over do this work. House is in Citywest.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭altor

Holy crap. I am just banging my head off a wall here. I am trying to get a simple alarm replaced on a rental house. It is wired in, but problematic, old and needs replacing.

I need a new panel, 5 contacts and a PIR. Wiring is all in place, just needs the hardware renewed. I just had an alarm company trying to tell me a superduper wireless panel is 300 euro then add the sensors. While a wired panel is 750 euro plus sensors. Both systems about 900 euro.

The wiring is already there, it is a rental house, basic and simple is good. Does anyone know anyone around that can do this work without trying to over do this work. House is in Citywest.
    Thanks

Its more than likely a faulty device/devices on the circuit causing the problem.
    Have you had the sensors tested as opposed to replacing the whole system?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

System is over 20 years old and sensors are rusty. Owner happy to replace hardware and zone downstairs windows and doors. It's a rental house so basic system, fancy not needed

System is over 20 years old and sensors are rusty. Owner happy to replace hardware and zone downstairs windows and doors. It's a rental house so basic system, fancy not needed

You would need someone to look at it alright if sensors are rusty as cables may be damaged also.
    A hybrid system can use wired and wire free to cut down on costs if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Why not save the headache and install a wireless system for 500?

You would get

5x window/ Door sensors
    1x Internal alarm
    1x External Alarm
    1x keypad
    1x motion sensor
    1x Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

.42. wrote: »
    Why not save the headache and install a wireless system for 500?

You would get

5x window/ Door sensors
    1x Internal alarm
    1x External Alarm
    1x keypad
    1x motion sensor
    1x Hub

All battery powered, more pain for a landlord in a few years.

I am with Altor here, I think the existing system can be repaired with a few new devices and as he said if there is a worst possible damaged wiring situation then and only then should wireless be considered in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Thanks

While it is possibly repairable I would say replace for what it should cost. The materials there are about €200. About another €50 if you have an external bell to replace also. Maybe a half days work.

I would have thought €500 would have been the ball park

900 for each option
    As I said, way over the top for a basic rental house. But trying to get that point across to the alarm company was like talking to a wall. Gsd this, wireless that, crazy stuff

900 for each option
    As I said, way over the top for a basic rental house. But trying to get that point across to the alarm company was like talking to a wall. Gsd this, wireless that, crazy stuff

The best option is to get another few alarm companies to give you a price.
    I would look into just having said system sensors replaced if possible as this will save you money as you wont need a whole new system hopefully.

recap and update.

The engineer who came out and disabled the alarm system, put the job down as a quote. Then the quotes came in around 900 euro for a super duper system.

I rang them, as mentioned above, and got a robot who couldnt understand what I was trying to say, I dont need rockets, just a basic wired replacement with 5 sensors.

Then I get a bill for 90 euro for a "service call" which I tried to pay on the day, but engineer said it was ok, he was putting it down as a quote. I rang them again, explained again, and they told me the service manager would call me. Still no call.

Today get a snotty call about an unpaid bill and after me explaining AGAIN, the ejit tells me I am trying to get out of paying.

I dont think Cuala Security know their arse from their elbows. Am I being unreasonable here? Its only 90 quid but they appear to be something else.....

Just to add, the owner emailed a couple of companies, and they are saying around 600 euro.

• Advertisement

Sounds about right for the basic upgrade using cables in place

Advertisement