Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage with remote working

• 29-06-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

I joined a company during lockdown and have been working remotely with them since. Their office is approx two hours from where I want to buy a house.

I've been given plenty of verbal assurances that I would be able to continue working remotely. I thought I was close to being ready to apply for a mortgage. I've been dealing with a broker who tells me that banks are looking for very strongly worded written confirmations from employers that remote working would be permanently available in situations like mine.

I was quite shocked to find my company won't provide this because it's not in line with 'official' policy. The best they'll do is provide a letter saying I can work remotely at my managers discretion.

Does anyone know if I have a chance of getting a mortgage in this scenario? I work as a software engineer and my employment prospects would be strong also in the area where I want to buy. I have very good savings and I'm looking for a fairly modest mortgage to pay over approx ten years.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Realistically there is not enough experience out there for anyone, even your broker, to do anything but speculate at this stage. It’s an evolving are, you’ll just have to go with it and see what happens.

Advertisement