Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any thoughts on this greenhouse

Options
  • 30-06-2021 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

The cold May temperatures have cost me in the vegetable patch. I feel like I'm way behind because I couldn't get anything going. So I'm thinking of buying a greenhouse for next year. This one would fit in an unused part of the garden very well but there's very little out there on the company and I know very little about quality in relation to greenhouses.
    Would anyone have opinions

https://www.homeandgarden.ie/product/vidaxl-greenhouse-anthracite-aluminium-3-8-m%c2%b3/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Looks okay as its a lean to going onto a back wall and has polycarbonate instead of glass.
    Will you have enough room in half a greenhouse thinking 6 foot in length

One important thing in a greenhouse is ventilation be it roof or louvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

tjc28 wrote: »
    The cold May temperatures have cost me in the vegetable patch. I feel like I'm way behind because I couldn't get anything going. So I'm thinking of buying a greenhouse for next year. This one would fit in an unused part of the garden very well but there's very little out there on the company and I know very little about quality in relation to greenhouses.
    Would anyone have opinions

https://www.homeandgarden.ie/product/vidaxl-greenhouse-anthracite-aluminium-3-8-m%c2%b3/

Also interested, would love a greenhouse that only cost a couple of hundred.

There's a couple of things that seem concerning.
    Is it missing the entire back? In the image it looks like its placed flush against a wall and rain water would get in?

And what does this mean?:
    "Please note the base frame is not included"

Base frame is what the greenhouse will sit on if ground is soft.

Its a lean to greenhouse with no back and unsure if it comes with a seal or needs cartridges of sealer to apply.

There are cheap greenhouses out there and saw one saying it wont support heavey snow.

Second hand greenhouses have you checked?

Checking on adverts i see polytunnels just under 300 and is long and wide and has vents but is on grass.

https://www.adverts.ie/sheds/polytunnel-best-on-donedeal/24215978

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you should be fine as long as you assemble it correctly (take your time read instructions carefully and don't take any shortcuts)

i put up this one 6 years back and its still standing strong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

greasepalm wrote: »
    There are cheap greenhouses out there and saw one saying it wont support heavey snow.

The OP's one also says it won't support heavy snow - makes sense if the polycarbonate panels are only 4mm thick.

It looks/reads to me like this is a cheap, disposable shelter, meant to be bought on impulse and probably won't last very long, especially if the aluminium frame is "for extra stability" rather than being a foundational part of the structure. I'd say it gets most of it's strength from the polycarbonate panels, so if one of those goes, the whole thing will go ...

Also don't be misled by those 2.4m² - you're going to need a good chunk of that for standing/walking, espcially with the door on a short side, otherwise you'll spend the whole winter shifting pots and trays around to make space for yourself as you sow/weed/thin/repot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You'd build one yourself for less.
    Built a 12x4 out of timber and recycled widows for 150e that will last.

A puff of wind and that one is gone

Puff of wind what about the ever increasing hurricanes we now get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Large sheets of thin polycarbonate flex in wind and will blow out of the frame no problem.

15 years and still in place and extra clips in roof section but its beside a wall and has overhanging branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

looksee wrote: »
    Large sheets of thin polycarbonate flex in wind and will blow out of the frame no problem.

that's not my experience, the one i link to above has withstood many a severe storm....the key is not to have it too exposed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

thanks for the replies so far folks. This crowd actually have their greenhouses listed on adverts so I messaged them about how it's fixed to the wall and ground and they replied saying its not to be fixed, its designed to be easily moved. Makes no sense to me.
    Shame as size wise it fits the area in my garden perfect and price wise its great too but maybe I should of guessed at that price there'd be something wrong.
    I'm not the handiest at DIY so the search will continue. anyone know any companies doing custom greenhouses?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The cold May temperatures have cost me in the vegetable patch. I feel like I'm way behind because I couldn't get anything going.

do you actually want/need a greenhouse?
    Perhaps a seedbed would do?

https://www.ksbgarden.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=176

6-406x580.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

thanks for the replies so far folks. This crowd actually have their greenhouses listed on adverts so I messaged them about how it's fixed to the wall and ground and they replied saying its not to be fixed, its designed to be easily moved. Makes no sense to me.
    Shame as size wise it fits the area in my garden perfect and price wise its great too but maybe I should of guessed at that price there'd be something wrong.
    I'm not the handiest at DIY so the search will continue. anyone know any companies doing custom greenhouses?

Ksb, d-plant, heptagon houses just to mention 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

peasant wrote: »
    do you actually want/need a greenhouse?
    Perhaps a seedbed would do?

https://www.ksbgarden.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=176

6-406x580.jpg

I considered this but my partner said no way. she thought it was ugly.

Advertisement