Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Ethernet Upload Issue

• 30-06-2021 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Have a 1gbit down and 100mb up fibre connection

- On wifi ax, I get 800Mbps down and 100Mbps up, no issue
    - On Ethernet, (2.5Gbps card), I max out download at 940Mbps, but upload is limited to 50Mbps (strange)

Tried several ethernet cables, so it must be a setting on either the card or router.

Tried changing settings in properties of the ethernet card to no avail

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

To remove the 2.5Gbps card (2.5GBASE-T?) as a possible issue, have you tried with plain old 1Gbps ethernet card/port? I'd start there first as you have suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

the 2.5g ethernet is built into the motherboard

strangely enough my router, ax11000 asus has its own ookla speedtest feature from its admin page settings which speedtests 100mb upload no problem

the pc with the 2.5g ethernet if testing from ookla speedtest via chrome or windows speedtest ookla app has upload limit of 50mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭niallb

Go into the properties of your connection and find what the link speed is.
    It's not your ISP's fault if you're only getting 50Mb on the wire, and it should be easy to confirm.

No matter what's on the motherboard, it might not believe there's 2.5G on the router end, so it's possibly just a negotiation issue.
    It may be possible to get the uplink speed up by locking the card's speed so that it doesn't auto-negotiate.
    I know you've tried several ethernet cables, but you need a top class cable for those speeds, so if they all came free with Eir routers they still might be the problem!

they are cat 7 cables from a german outfit so i expect they are decent quality, they also pull 940Mbps down no problem

its the upload capped at 50Mbps for some reason

have deleted the drivers, tried default drivers which upped the upload to 60Mbps, installed newer drivers and back to 50Mbps upload

Also, as mentioned, if i do a speedtest from the routers admin page, its hitting 100Mbps upload no issue

This is very strange and i cannot find much similar posts from google on the issue

EDIT: i have the ethernet card set at 1Gbps full duplex and this is confirmed from ethernet properties as connected at 1Gbps

So i just tried microsoft edge and went onto ookla speedtest and it gives nearly full 100mbps upload

what the heck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BArra wrote: »
    So i just tried microsoft edge and went onto ookla speedtest and it gives nearly full 100mbps upload

what the heck?

Chrome plugin?

if i use the ookla speedtest app installed from windows store it also limits to 50mb upload

chrome speedtest - 50mb upload
    windows 10 speedtest app - 50mb upload
    edge browser - 100mb upload

if edge gives full upload, it must not be an ethernet setting issue

Advertisement