Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common courtesy

Options
  • 30-06-2021 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Our next door neighbour (semi-detached house) decided it 's perfectly fine to hire people to start hammering and drilling on our shared wall at 8 in the morning without notice. Apparently they're building/renovating their fireplace, which I can only deduce from the name of the vans parked in front of their house. Now, this is actually not the first time it's happened, they probably think we can't hear it? But it's common courtesy to inform your next door neighbours given the amount of noise it generates, right? I mean, it's all well and good for them seeing as they're out of the house and their kids are at school while we're trying to sleep for our night shift with all the noise doing our heads in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

General work hours are 8 am to 7pm. Most tradesmen would operate in these times. Not ideal if you work shifts but work has to be done at some point. Like you said, they may not think its too noisy.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/what_is_noise.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah I'd probably give a bit of heads up to the neighbours if it was me getting work done, although I don't know if it would really make all that much difference to the person hearing the noise. My parents lived in a terraced house with neighbours doing a total top-to-bottom rennovation a few years ago, and it took months. It is what it is sometimes, not much to be done about it. At least this is just a fireplace so it probably won't take that long before they're gone.

camz09 wrote: »
    Our next door neighbour (semi-detached house) decided it 's perfectly fine to hire people to start hammering and drilling on our shared wall at 8 in the morning without notice. Apparently they're building/renovating their fireplace, which I can only deduce from the name of the vans parked in front of their house. Now, this is actually not the first time it's happened, they probably think we can't hear it? But it's common courtesy to inform your next door neighbours given the amount of noise it generates, right? I mean, it's all well and good for them seeing as they're out of the house and their kids are at school while we're trying to sleep for our night shift with all the noise doing our heads in

SOunds just like builders opposite us on our road. They are preparing for third level student accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

8am is an ok time.
    Common courtesy is gone as people now days are so whinge bags.

Suppose you said no , could you start at 10am, who pays for the builders between 8 and 10.

Sadly it’s often easier to just plough on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I got new neighbours last year and they had a lot of work done initially, security cameras, patio, radiators etc. A LOT of drilling and noise. They did give me a heads up on most of the work.

I'm working from home since Covid, and while it was annoying I had to stick on noise cancelling headphones for a few days. Thankfully I didn't need to be on any calls. If I did, I had nowhere to go during the lockdown!

To be fair to them the work was carried out at normal times during the day and finished at a reasonable hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

A couple of hours work even a day or two during normal weekday working hours is fair game. When would you like them to do the work??!

That said if I was on good terms with them and knew they did shift work I would let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

tbh OP that is minimal, try put up with non stop noises, at all hours and other anti social stuff,I could go into details but, it would take a while
    I think people possibly should go about informing neighbours of extensive work, but smaller jobs, it might be nice if you know them and they you, but if its a once off job or occasional, Id bear with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

We thought the same with neighbors getting work done... But then we got an extension ourselves.

The wheel turns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Treppen wrote: »
    We thought the same with neighbors getting work done... But then we got an extension ourselves.

The wheel turns

Id say that depends, a one off or occasional job, you can see that a person who is doing the work needs to get in and get the most of the day to do the work, maybe for a few days,
    On the other hand, when work/s are going to take months, consideration is a good idea, cant have someone turning up at all hours and working till all hours even over the weekends non stop for months, work then imo has to start at a reasonable hour and finish at a reasonable hour.
    There are plenty of preperation/finishing up tasks that can be done without loud noises or equipment that can be done before or after a certain time to be reasonable.
    imo any extensive work should take consideration of noise caused and the situation of the immediate neighbours, ie we had a newborn at home when it was inflicted upon us and despite asking for warning of heavy duty noise and stated we could go out, random and sudden excessive loud noise was inflicted on us, so its not just a matter of stating, the shoe could be on the other foot, some people are ignorant selfish inconsiderate cnuts, what the OP is descriving sounds imo to be at the very low end of things, so it doesnt seem like they have much experience of terrible behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

I think it would be common courtesy to inform neighbors of something like this. That aside, 8AM to start work is perfectly reasonable and the fact that OP works nights doesn't change that. Tradesmen don't work nights so any work they do will be during normal working hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement