Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT & Customs Purchases 1st July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Are they actually going to check every single item? That would require alot more time, staff and resources. They will just go after items they can make loads of money on, not worth checking every low value item bought from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Are they actually going to check every single item?

Who is they?

It's not just customs officials for the Irish government. The couriers (An Post, DPD, UPS etc. etc.) know the package origin and are only too happy to collect the fees due and charge you a processing fee. So even if customs officials do only flag a sample of packages, the couriers are now looking more closely too in my experience since brexit. UPS are particularly bad looking for cash on the door step

Vegeta wrote: »
    Who is they?

It's not just customs officials for the Irish government. The couriers (An Post, DPD, UPS etc. etc.) know the package origin and are only too happy to collect the fees due and charge you a processing fee. So even if customs officials do only flag a sample of packages, the couriers are now looking more closely too in my experience since brexit. UPS are particularly bad looking for cash on the door step

Ya you are right, it's the handling fee charges that are the real killer blow, no more cheap stuff from aliexpress and the like and everything from UK costing way more now, oh well all good things come to an end eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

Ya you are right, it's the handling fee charges that are the real killer blow, no more cheap stuff from aliexpress and the like and everything from UK costing way more now, oh well all good things come to an end eventually.

No its petty point scoring by the EU.

What have you done wrong? You aren't committing a crime sourcing goods from elsewhere that our so called betters tell us that we live in a 'global economy.'

Some of the goods are cheaper from UK. Why? Possibly because this country taxes people to death or/and the rules and regulations are obscene or/and business here is not competitive. All of this isnt your fault so why tax you twice or three times.

Oh and Addresspal is not much good now, would be better if they set up a base in Germany or somewhere in mainland Europe now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

100%.

No its petty point scoring by the EU.

What have you done wrong? You aren't committing a crime sourcing goods from elsewhere that our so called betters tell us that we live in a 'global economy.'

Some of the goods are cheaper from UK. Why? Possibly because this country taxes people to death or/and the rules and regulations are obscene or/and business here is not competitive. All of this isnt your fault so why tax you twice or three times.

It was the eu/Merkel/ Von Der Leyen using Ireland as a stick to beat the UK, who had the temerity to leave their rotten club. As proven in 2008, the eu is quick to chuck us under the bus when it suits them.

A tank of diesel and the ferry crossing costs would take any profit out of a shopping list unless it was really expensive gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

For shopping from the UK, Amazon is pretty much the same as it always was (it was even better in the first half of 2021 where orders <€22 weren't charged VAT). I'd expect most UK online retailers to follow that lead soon enough, once they get used to things.

As for other countries - stuff from USA etc always attracted VAT, handling. I doubt many <€22 items are ordered from places like that. So it's largely the small <€22 Chinese imports affected, and VAT on that stuff would also be small. And nature business always finds a way. So we'll see either AliExpress using more European distribution centres, or including EU VAT in the prices. It'll still be cheaper than bricks'n'mortar stores.

It's a pain for now, but it'll improve and life will go on.

tjhook wrote: »
    For shopping from the UK, Amazon is pretty much the same as it always was (it was even better in the first half of 2021 where orders <€22 weren't charged VAT). I'd expect most UK online retailers to follow that lead soon enough, once they get used to things.

As for other countries - stuff from USA etc always attracted VAT, handling. I doubt many <€22 items are ordered from places like that. So it's largely the small <€22 Chinese imports affected, and VAT on that stuff would also be small. And nature business always finds a way. So we'll see either AliExpress using more European distribution centres, or including EU VAT in the prices. It'll still be cheaper than bricks'n'mortar stores.

It's a pain for now, but it'll improve and life will go on.

Incorrect. Amazon loads the price of goods to Ireland at checkout. Amazon shopping by Ireland is almost zero now.

• Advertisement

Incorrect. Amazon loads the price of goods to Ireland at checkout. Amazon shopping by Ireland is almost zero now.

I'm not sure I've seen that. I see more stuff that won't ship to Ireland alright.

But when I do make an Amazon order I see UK VAT removed and Irish VAT applied. Not a lot of difference. Unless it's changed?

tjhook wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've seen that. I see more stuff that won't ship to Ireland alright.

But when I do make an Amazon order I see UK VAT removed and Irish VAT applied. Not a lot of difference. Unless it's changed?

That is a recent thing then because I was a fairly descent Amazon buyer. Now one item since 1st of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

tudderone wrote: »
    It was the eu/Merkel/ Von Der Leyen using Ireland as a stick to beat the UK, who had the temerity to leave their rotten club. As proven in 2008, the eu is quick to chuck us under the bus when it suits them.

This has nothing directly to do with BREXIT and nothing to do with point scoring. The EU were doing this regardless of BREXIT and it affects imports to the EU from the entire world. However, some seem to think the world revolves around the UK and BREXIT, well it does not.

If the UK had agreed the deal which Therese May was offered then there would be no charges to pay as they would still be within the EU Customs area. However, crazier minds prevailed and THEY OPTED to be out of it. If you are out you are out just like China, Botswana, Singapore etc. Now of course, as expected, they are whinging about it.

If any country was quick to do anything, it was the UK, who removed the low value limit on 1 January of this year. Hitting EU, including Irish exports, straight away.

That is a recent thing then because I was a fairly descent Amazon buyer. Now one item since 1st of Jan.

I think you were just unlucky. Or maybe I'm the lucky one :)

I tried two things from my wishlist. A book (zero VAT) and a router (full VAT).

Router, UK Price £284. At checkout with delivery to Ireland, £291. Small VAT difference.

Book. Zero-VAT rated. UK price £28.71, Irish price the same at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

Are they actually going to check every single item? That would require alot more time, staff and resources. They will just go after items they can make loads of money on, not worth checking every low value item bought from China.

The way the system works now is that the exporter in China or wherever must send an electronic list of all the contents in every item.

In effect, the charges are worked out before the item even gets here based on the list of goods arriving. Once your item enters the country then the delivery agent (DPD, An Post, DHL etc.) send you the SMS to tell you that you have to pay a charge.

They (or rather the Customs computer system) will automatically go after every single item regardless of how low the value might be because (i) its EU law and Irealand must comply (ii) a lot of small items add up to millions in revenue.

The days of maybe it will slip through are just about over. Also, it cuts down on restricted and prohibited items being imported as they must be declared electronically in advance.

freddieot wrote: »
    This has nothing directly to do with BREXIT and nothing to do with point scoring. The EU were doing this regardless of BREXIT and it affects imports to the EU from the entire world. However, some seem to think the world revolves around the UK and BREXIT, well it does not.

If the UK had agreed the deal which Therese May was offered then there would be no charges to pay as they would still be within the EU Customs area. However, crazier minds prevailed and THEY OPTED to be out of it. If you are out you are out just like China, Botswana, Singapore etc. Now of course, as expected, they are whinging about it.

If any country was quick to do anything, it was the UK, who removed the low value limit on 1 January of this year. Hitting EU, including Irish exports, straight away.

Why should the UK agree to what the EU want. It is up to them. This is about what affects us imposed on us not the UK or imposed from the UK.

Why should we pay extra tax on things not made in the EU or cheaper elsewhere than EU?. Its pure protectionism and a penalty on us.

They aren't whinging about it, we are. I was buying tools, materials, machines, spare parts from the UK as they had a much greater selection, cheaper prices and staff who actually gave a damn and know what they are talking about. I can't buy from there now without being screwed.

"Buy from Europe ? " Nope they seem to want to charge as much to send goods over as anywhere else. On a small engine part (a carb), from Germany, they wanted over 35 euros to send it via the slow boat, rip off, and the fact we are in the eu doesn't seem to cut much ice with the French, Germans or anyone else over there, not friendly or helpful to deal with, not happy you don't speak their lingo, and a take it or leave it attitude in my experience.

The Theresa May deal ? Yes stay in the custom union, but take eu laws and regulations drafted by some unknown in the commission, probably someone who also works for Deutsche bank or Goldman-sacks, that you have no control over.

They aren't whinging about it, we are. I was buying tools, materials, machines, spare parts from the UK as they had a much greater selection, cheaper prices and staff who actually gave a damn and know what they are talking about. I can't buy from there now without being screwed.

"Buy from Europe ? " Nope they seem to want to charge as much to send goods over as anywhere else. On a small engine part (a carb), from Germany, they wanted over 35 euros to send it via the slow boat, rip off, and the fact we are in the eu doesn't seem to cut much ice with the French, Germans or anyone else over there, not friendly or helpful to deal with, not happy you don't speak their lingo, and a take it or leave it attitude in my experience.

The Theresa May deal ? Yes stay in the custom union, but take eu laws and regulations drafted by some unknown in the commission, probably someone who also works for Deutsche bank or Goldman-sacks, that you have no control over.

All very true but the EU worshipers will always say it is the UK's fault.

Take UK stores in Ireland. Look at the choice they give you at Tesco's. Irish, UK, from anywhere that you want. Supervalue not so good. Lidl even worse.

Argos.......Buy it, take it back, no quibble replaced or money back. Go to an Irish store and get that.

Where are the EU stores in Ireland doing same? Too far away mate. Too small. Not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Some people will whinge no matter what, I'd imagine it can't be good for their health to be in a constant state of negative thinking.

Amazon are charging £145 for a set of gen.3 Primo's Trigger Sticks but won't deliver to Ireland. That could be seen as something to whinge about, instead of whinging I checked Amazon.de and got them delivered to my front door for 106.60 euro.

We're still getting plenty of stuff from Amazon.uk delivered as well and no issues with extra charges on any AliExpress orders.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Some people will whinge no matter what, I'd imagine it can't be good for their health to be in a constant state of negative thinking.

Amazon are charging £145 for a set of gen.3 Primo's Trigger Sticks but won't deliver to Ireland. That could be seen as something to whinge about, instead of whinging I checked Amazon.de and got them delivered to my front door for 106.60 euro.

We're still getting plenty of stuff from Amazon.uk delivered as well and no issues with extra charges on any AliExpress orders.

Log out of all Amazon........Delete your cache and cookies and history from all time........Open up and use Uk as your base with your VPN.............Use Google UK as your search engine........Go to Amazon but do not log in and see product you had in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    www.deliverme.ie.
    For those things, you just HAVE to buy in the UK, and the UK won't ship to the ROI direct,but will to NI.Bit expensive mind at 25 euros a go.

If I collect from their Newry depot I guess I avoid customs fees etc?

What about if they ship it on to ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The days of maybe it will slip through are just about over. Also, it cuts down on restricted and prohibited items being imported as they must be declared electronically in advance.

Depend on what they declate it as."Tools", "Sample" etc is still ambiguous enough.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    If I collect from their Newry depot I guess I avoid customs fees etc?

What about if they ship it on to ROI?

All explained on their website.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Log out of all Amazon........Delete your cache and cookies and history from all time........Open up and use Uk as your base with your VPN.............Use Google UK as your search engine........Go to Amazon but do not log in and see product you had in mind.

I was looking for a PoE network switch to replace one i purchased from amazon in 2017. Every item i looked at was "no longer available". Made to look like it was no longer sold. If i changed delivery address to an English address, all of a sudden it could be bought.

This seems to be different behaviour, in the past it would say, "cannot be delivered to your location" but now its jist not available. Strange.

sphinxicus wrote: »
    I was looking for a PoE network switch to replace one i purchased from amazon in 2017. Every item i looked at was "no longer available". Made to look like it was no longer sold. If i changed delivery address to an English address, all of a sudden it could be bought.

This seems to be different behaviour, in the past it would say, "cannot be delivered to your location" but now its jist not available. Strange.

Whats that about Sphinxicus ? Why not us :confused:

sphinxicus wrote: »

No I think it could be because sellers on Amazon in UK do not want the extra shipping to Ireland. Ireland is off the radar to UK now.

Go to ebay and see what people want to ship.

Other companies do not want the hassle of extra paperwork or goods held in transit. So they just do not want to know.

No I think it could be because sellers on Amazon in UK do not want the extra shipping to Ireland. Ireland is off the radar to UK now.

Go to ebay and see what people want to ship.

Other companies do not want the hassle of extra paperwork or goods held in transit. So they just do not want to know.

I'd agree with you but in this instance the item was sold and fulfilled by Amazon, not a marketplace item or a Sold by Company X item. See random example i picked there now

English address:

GZN6TFR.png

Irish address:
    IaAjKpr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Why not buy a poe switch here. Freetv.ie with next day delivery.

Fils wrote: »
    Why not buy a poe switch here. Freetv.ie with next day delivery.

Thanks for the suggestion. Reasons why i won't be purchasing from there:

1. i dont want a no-name switch (which is all of the PoE switches appear to be)
    2. i need a managed switch. The selection available is unmanaged.
    3. The switch i gave as an example is not the one i want, i just used it as a quick example. They do not have the switch I would consider
    Anyway, dont want to take the thread off-topic, as i said i was just using the PoE switch as an example of a change i had noticed in Amazon in response to Bog Trotter99's post yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

I received two orders from ali express this week choose the ali shipping option when purchasing the items.

Items shipping origin Solomon Islands. If you look it up Solomon Islands appears to have some vat free trade agreement with the EU. Where there is a will there is a way looks like theres still loop holes. Dropshipping from Solomon Islands appears the latest one. :)

If you search: "The EU's trade relationship with the Pacific states (Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Samoa and the Solomon Islands) is set by a"

Advertisement