Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have RTE 2 dropped The Simpsons ?

• 30-06-2021 10:55am

Schedule getting back to normal post euros next week and no Simpsons, something called Heart of Dixie in their slot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Rights expired more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

sugarman wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect regular scheduling to resume until after the tournament has concluded on Sun 11th.

Even in the days between games like today and tomorrow, there has been a couple of different shows in place of the usual 4.30PM Simpsons slot.

I thought the 6pm slot was the usual Simpsons slot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭dam099

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Rights expired more likely?

Yea, don't know if they have expired yet but chances are once the current agreement expires it will not be renewed as Disney are moving all their content to Disney+.

Elmo wrote: »
    I thought the 6pm slot was the usual Simpsons slot :pac:

RTE in their wisdom moved the Simpsons to 4:30pm a couple of years ago... One time, one would have imagined that TV3 would snap up the rights for the Simpsons but they dropped Family Guy, American Dad south park, so most unlikely now

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

RTE in their wisdom moved the Simpsons to 4:30pm a couple of years ago... One time, one would have imagined that TV3 would snap up the rights for the Simpsons but they dropped Family Guy, American Dad south park, so most unlikely now

Think they had to drop them when Fox was bought out by Disney, they consolidated the rights over to the UK channel and now obviously completely closed it with Disney+ now a thing. I would expect to see the same for Simpsons everywhere else eventually. Channels don't want to give up the easy ratings gets, the rights just aren't even being offered anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Why don't you just get free cable?

"Maaaaarge, I've never put my foot down about anything..."

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Wonder will they drop off Sky One. They’ve been a mainstay of that channel since the dawn of the Simpsons and Sky itself pretty much.

Sky was bought out by Comcast, not Disney and no longer has any shared ownership connection to Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Wonder will they drop off Sky One. They’ve been a mainstay of that channel since the dawn of the Simpsons and Sky itself pretty much.

Sky was bought out by Comcast, not Disney and no longer has any shared ownership connection to Fox.

I remember when sky was launched.
    The local "piped" tv operator added sky one to his list of channels....RTE 1&2, BBC 1&2, UTV & Ch4.
    Thing was the cable stopped 5 doors from our house.
    I was raging as all the other kids in school would come in on a Monday going on about the Simpsons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

The Simpsons was the best show on tv in the 90s. It’s terrible how they trashed its reputation by milking it for 20 years longer than they should have. Pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is the schedule returning to actual normality before 2nd week in August?
    Surely Olympics coverage is going to keep schedules skewed and strange until then?

• Advertisement

Think they had to drop them when Fox was bought out by Disney, they consolidated the rights over to the UK channel and now obviously completely closed it with Disney+ now a thing. I would expect to see the same for Simpsons everywhere else eventually. Channels don't want to give up the easy ratings gets, the rights just aren't even being offered anymore.

TV3/Virgin Media TV dropped American Dad/Family Guy around the time BBC dropped them and when ITV picked them up, dropped for no real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Schedule getting back to normal post euros next week and no Simpsons, something called Heart of Dixie in their slot.

Sentimental Hallmark channel esque crap.
    Bet it was cheap too.

Sentimental Hallmark channel esque crap.
    Bet it was cheap too.

Not quite Hallmark, CW programming, finished in 2015. They show it most Saturday afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not quite Hallmark, CW programming, finished in 2015. They show it most Saturday afternoons.

Still rubbish though.

Still rubbish though.

Yes, from what I have seen.

I wonder how many viewers shortland Street gets in the 5:30pm slot ? They tried Ellen at teatime for a few months on rte 2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They did a deal to stay on Sky for an extended period, in return for Sky agreeing to end a previous exclusive deal early. Not sure how long it lasts for. You might remember the earliest Disney+ adverts aimed at U.K./Ireland didn’t have the Simpsons included as at that point they didn’t have the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

TV3 and 3e showed the first 2 series of Hart Of Dixie as well 9 years ago. And you could throw in Ellen Show as well previously been shown on TV3, so there's been many a cast off thrown in on that slot sometimes. Have no idea what their target market is for that slot anymore

iseegirls wrote: »
    TV3 and 3e showed the first 2 series of Hart Of Dixie as well 9 years ago. And you could throw in Ellen Show as well previously been shown on TV3, so there's been many a cast off thrown in on that slot sometimes. Have no idea what their target market is for that slot anymore

They want to drop TRTÉ and RTÉjr, they technically shouldn't have been able to push TRTÉ back to 4:30.

AFAIK and I haven't looked at figures for a while, but Neighbours was getting less than 70,000 viewers at 6pm and I can't see Shortland Street is lighting up the 5:30 slot.

Is the late 90s, is this the longest absence from the N2/RTE2 schedule ever for the Simpsons?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭passatman86

D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Its about time they did as its been awful for decades.

It looked like a filler, odd time after some sporting event or something like that, not a regular slot

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Theres been some big changes to Sky’s channel line up announced today with the demise of Sky One and the launch of two new channels, Showcase and Max.

whats this to do with the Simpsons and RTE2, I hear you cry?

Well one explanation I have heard, though I think it may only be among the reasons, rather than the sole reason, is that Sky’s renegotiated deal for the Simpsons, which gave them an extension of their rights for the show in return for giving up exclusivity, is about to run out and that the Sky One name and the Simpsons are so connected that they want to lessen the ties before this happens.

While I don’t know if I buy this as a reason for Sky’s actions, it certainly seems plausible that Disney want to make Disney+ the exclusive home of the Simpsons, and that it’s only a matter of time before this happens.

The Simpsons are back next week @5pm replacing the goldbourgs

Advertisement