Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV recommendations (getting rid of Sky)

Options
  • 30-06-2021 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi

My Sky Q is in the process of cancelling, as we rarely watch live TV these days. However, my kids want to get a TV for upstairs for casting Netflix/YouTube. Our main downstairs TV is an old one but has HDMI port, so am thinking of giving this to kids for upstairs to use with Chromecast. For downstairs, I'm looking to buy a smart TV around 50" that we can use apps for Netflix & YouTube (and ideally RTE /Virgin Media Player if possible). We would be happy with no live channels, but we often have guests that like to watch Sky news and Virgin Media one (for soaps) primarily. I'm really in the market for a budget range TV - any recommendations would be great?

I noticed the Walker TVs have a satellite tuner, so am thinking this may be useful if in future we want to connect the old Sky lead into this (the engineer left us the old LNB & sky+ box when we changed to Sky Q last year). I see these TVs have an RTE Player app, does anyone know if you can add Virgin Media Player app too? Alternatively, some of the Hisense TVs on Amazon have a satellite tuner (but the ones in Currys don't seem to), would they be likely to work here?

Thanks in advance for any advice, it's been a long time since I last bought a TV so any help would be great.

We don't currently have any external aerial to receive Irish channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

carazeb wrote: »
    Hi

My Sky Q is in the process of cancelling, as we rarely watch live TV these days. However, my kids want to get a TV for upstairs for casting Netflix/YouTube. Our main downstairs TV is an old one but has HDMI port, so am thinking of giving this to kids for upstairs to use with Chromecast. For downstairs, I'm looking to buy a smart TV around 50" that we can use apps for Netflix & YouTube (and ideally RTE /Virgin Media Player if possible). We would be happy with no live channels, but we often have guests that like to watch Sky news and Virgin Media one (for soaps) primarily. I'm really in the market for a budget range TV - any recommendations would be great?

I noticed the Walker TVs have a satellite tuner, so am thinking this may be useful if in future we want to connect the old Sky lead into this (the engineer left us the old LNB & sky+ box when we changed to Sky Q last year). I see these TVs have an RTE Player app, does anyone know if you can add Virgin Media Player app too? Alternatively, some of the Hisense TVs on Amazon have a satellite tuner (but the ones in Currys don't seem to), would they be likely to work here?

Thanks in advance for any advice, it's been a long time since I last bought a TV so any help would be great.

We don't currently have any external aerial to receive Irish channels.

I don't know of any tv brand that has the VM player, it is available through the NOW stick without subscription. RTE Player is available on a number of tv brands, we use a Walker tv for SaorView, fta satellite and apps, good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 carazeb

decor58 wrote: »
    I don't know of any tv brand that has the VM player, it is available through the NOW stick without subscription. RTE Player is available on a number of tv brands, we use a Walker tv for SaorView, fta satellite and apps, good value for money.

Thanks for that suggestion. The kids had an old NOW TV stick lying around, just tried it and VM media player works fairly well so that'll do the job for that channel. I think I'm leaning towards a Walker TV in case we do ever decide to run in an aerial and/or the satellite feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

carazeb wrote: »
    Thanks for that suggestion. The kids had an old NOW TV stick lying around, just tried it and VM media player works fairly well so that'll do the job for that channel. I think I'm leaning towards a Walker TV in case we do ever decide to run in an aerial and/or the satellite feed.

Looks like you need a TV with a satellite tuner and your old LNB refitting. You will need an aerial if you want the Irish channels. (Or Saorsat but that would be another dish and a diseqc switch).

Advertisement