Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling garden?

Options
  • 30-06-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for general ideas. Half of our garden is on a slight slope upwards, between a 90 and 45 ' angle. It levels off flat at the top then for about 3 meters. It's a typical 3 bed semi garden.
    I want a smallish patio, tables and chairs, a shed etc, but can't do all this on our garden cos of the slope.
    We haven't called anyone about it yet, but anyone any idea on how to go about levelling it and how much patios and all cost? Ball park number is all I want. I know that's a kinda broad question, but before we call anyone we want to have some ideas, suggestions, anything so we can be more clearer to them ! Anyone any ideas or similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭mulbot

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    Hi all, just looking for general ideas. Half of our garden is on a slight slope upwards, between a 90 and 45 ' angle. It levels off flat at the top then for about 3 meters. It's a typical 3 bed semi garden.
    I want a smallish patio, tables and chairs, a shed etc, but can't do all this on our garden cos of the slope.
    We haven't called anyone about it yet, but anyone any idea on how to go about levelling it and how much patios and all cost? Ball park number is all I want. I know that's a kinda broad question, but before we call anyone we want to have some ideas, suggestions, anything so we can be more clearer to them ! Anyone any ideas or similar experience?

Is there a wall at the back of the slope. Be careful not to dig out too much soil or you'll risk the wall collapsing. I have the very same garden as you describe. I brought my patio closer to the house and planted a border on the slope instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭U1D2C3

mulbot wrote: »
    Is there a wall at the back of the slope. Be careful not to dig out too much soil or you'll risk the wall collapsing. I have the very same garden as you describe. I brought my patio closer to the house and planted a border on the slope instead.

Yep, have a 7 or 8 ft wall at back of garden, behind it is a cul de sac turning space. Am hoping to have patio extended from house, thinking steps or something and raising the area to match the back. Very hard to know how that would turn out tho. Any idea how much that could cost?

Yep, have a 7 or 8 ft wall at back of garden, behind it is a cul de sac turning space. Am hoping to have patio extended from house, thinking steps or something and raising the area to match the back. Very hard to know how that would turn out tho. Any idea how much that could cost?

Unfortunately I don't. Once I heard I had to start concrete pouring to strengthen up the wall foundations I just figured it was going to be too much effort, money etc, I brought everything "forward, plus even dropping down the soil and building a deck, patio etc there was, going to leave it all too high and in view of too many neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭U1D2C3

mulbot wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't. Once I heard I had to start concrete pouring to strengthen up the wall foundations I just figured it was going to be too much effort, money etc, I brought everything "forward, plus even dropping down the soil and building a deck, patio etc there was, going to leave it all too high and in view of too many neighbours.

Jaysus, I never even thought about being in view of the neighbours if raising it!!! Thanks !!! Dropping down to level would be better. Thanks ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Jaysus, I never even thought about being in view of the neighbours if raising it!!! Thanks !!! Dropping down to level would be better. Thanks ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

No worries, I'd rather have had the area at the back but just wasn't to be. The slope works well for border, as you can layer the plants etc, they don't hide each other. Pinterest is a good friend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement