Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hbomax Caribbean and Latin America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Why is it you keep Irish Netflix - wouldnt US or Canada have more content? Is for suggestions / local feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

1. It has mostly everything I want.

2. It has the most content of any Netflix county in the world.

3. Anything it doesn't have that I want to watch I can get from the other streaming services I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I switched settings on Getflix. US Prime, US channel A which seems to catch HBO. UK for iPlayer. Netflix is Irish, because I haven't paid for Getflix yet.

Some quick tests:

• Discovery Plus works with no issues (I was worried a setting would try to make it work from a different region and fail out, but it didn't)
    • Prime Video is US version with no issues (I was able to watch a few minutes of MLB last night)
    • HBO Max is US version with no issues (I was able to watch The Suicide Squad last night - not bad)
    • I didn't check iPlayer, but will check today

So all in all, seems to work great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭micks_address

timing out with dns for me this evening. No joy with nord vpn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

has been working for me the last few days on the laptop with surfshark through Argentinian VPN but on the firestick, it is detecting a VPN and throws up an error. Not sure why as they are both running through the same VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭ThePott

Same situation here with Nord. Been able to get it on laptop with a US VPN eventually but no luck with firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭andydurnin

Just found a new way to get all English channels and some US channels such as dazn on Android phone and laptop with out vpn and it's free. Just downloaded streamlocator as a chrome extension on laptop or add as an extension in browser on phone. Works well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm having some success on the Shield with Nord and non-US territories. It's a bit awkward though. If the Shield goes to sleep I think the connection drops and I have to Force Stop the app when I turn it back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

After an initial few days of not working with the profile error, it's now working without issue on a Xiaomi MiBox S using NordVPN. What works for me is to always connect to America first, then open a fresh instance of HBO Max app. I also force close it if I'm disconnecting from VPN so its opening from scratch when I'm going back to use it rather than from a cached/running in background state which will give problems if I've come off the VPN in the meantime. Watched Citizen Kane over the weekend with no issues and been jumping in and out since watching series. It did briefly stop to buffer a couple of times during the film but it wasn't a deal breaker in any sense, maybe 3 instance of 2 - 3 second buffers

will try again - nord wasnt working for me last night on google tv... also getting timeouts on the popular dns people mention... annoying as i just paid for a 2 year sub... you end up getting a cheap hbo sub then buying multiple vpn/dns which takes the good out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I was getting the profile issue. Researched, some on Reddit said it was because the non-US countries don't get to 'roam', others here said it was to do with the app. I was using VPN Unlimited's dedicated HBO VPN and changed it to US Virginia, and it got past the profile error and seemed to play OK on both laptop and Xiomi Mibox 3. Def have to kill the app when changing VPN though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I can never get in on the app - but usually always do on desktop, even using the same servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

VPNs have been rubbish for me with this, but Getflix is rock solid on phone and on chromecast with google tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭w4ntedman

Surfshark has worked perfectly all along for me on the shield. I have only watched a few buts and pieces but no hassle like others are mentioning apart from having to clear the cache if the shield goes to sleep as the app resets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Has anyone had any luck paying with Revolut card (or is it possible to use Google Pay somehow?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Used revolut via Curve and it worked fine after refusing revolut a bunch of times

i used revolut with a Brazilian address.. look back posts and you'll find a link to an address you can use.. there's a tax number there you need to enter as well.. payment went through fine and its renewed. Re my dns not working.. i set it up again last night on my amazon fire cube and worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I didn't see how to get around the Brazilian tax thing so I tried Argentina, which failed, then Costa Rica, which worked but is about €1 more than Brazil.

How much is Brazil?

Im with Costa Rica at €2.70/month.

I know Argentina is currently about €2.30/month on July half price deal which I thought was the cheapest.

• Advertisement

if you check back the posts there's a link to a tax id for brazil

Thanks for that. Was able to pay with my Revolut using the tax I’d from that website. Login not working for me yet but I figure I’ll leave it overnight and try it again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I paid €2.29 with Revolut at the start of the month for a Brazilian sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Got signed up with TunnelBear to Argentina and Revolut. Card froze initially but once I ok'd it in the app it went through no problem. Tried a 7 day trial of Surfshark but found it very slow. Signed up to a 14 day trial of Getflix but can't for the life of me get it working on my Galaxy S20, keeps failing the DNS test. Anyone else get this issue before?

Just double checking.

Did you

1. put the selected static Getflix DNS IPs into the router or what's ever device you are using?

2. use either the Getflix app or web to update your WAN IP on the Getflix servers?

If your WAN IP changes regularly you either have to manually update or set it to autoupdate the IP.

I don't autoupdate as I use OVPN on my Firestick/Phone to connect to my network when on hols and thus use the home Getflix DNS from the router.

Yep, I changed IP to static and entered the DNS settings listed for Ireland and Great Britain. On the Getflix dashboard I'll pass the IP test but always fail the DNS test.

My reading of it was that you're supposed to use the DNS server physically closest to you and it then sends your traffic to your chosen options for Netflix etc (US, Canada, and so on). Now I could be completely wrong there, I've never used Getflix before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

@Testament1 You are definitely correct to use the DNS settings for Ireland and Great Britain in Getflix.

I dont know if this is relevant to you but I had to change settings on my Vodafone Gigabox router to get Getflix to work.

Expert Mode - Internet - DNS - set to Manually

Looks like the router was ignoring the DNS settings I had changed on my device until I set the above to "manually". (Blurb from my router: The DNS configuration is done automatically when you connect to the network. Alternatively you can manually configure your own DNS settings for your devices.)

Post edited by Johnny Storm on

• Advertisement

I had the same issue with the Gigabox. Switching to Manual sorted it for me too.

Advertisement