Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate locking of thread?

Options
  • 30-06-2021 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

See here for discussion of a newsreader hired by the state broadcaster RTE over a year ago.

Going back over a year, people have raised concerns about his lack of quality, considering, once again, he's hired by the taxpayer-funded state broadcaster it's hardly surprising it would be picked up.

The mod says it's not appropriate and might be "distressing" for the newsreader.

Am I wrong for thinking that it's an illogical decision? How could it be inappropriate? Are people not allowed to criticise national, state-funded broadcasters?

There's any amount of threads in the radio forum debating the quality of certain broadcasters. Someone who's been hired by the state broadcaster should not be immune to criticism in my opinion just because there's a general unanimous opinion that he's poor.

There's been nothing nasty or personal said in that thread - entirely rational discussion on his quality, or lack thereof, and general consensus that he's not very good at his job.

I'm sure it could be "distressing" for other broadcasters and public figures to read negative opinion on their work but as long as it's not vindictive, nasty or personal, I cannot see the logic in locking this particular thread but not others about other broadcasters.

I mean we are not talking about someone being picked on for pursuing their hobby. This is someone who's on a pretty good salary working for RTÉ, paid by the taxpayers purse.

It basically seems to me that it was locked because it's somehow not "fair" that there's general consensus that someone is bad at their job.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Have you discussed this with the mod yet?

My own thoughts - if the subject was already raised a year ago, why is there a need for a new thread? Other than 'he's bad' what other contributions could be made that will enrich and further the discussion? A separate thread about hiring mechanisms in RTE might be more appropriate. Having said that, you should try to discuss with the Radio mod(s) first to see what the thought process was

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forum specific issues are dealt with in Help Desk, not Feedback (which is reserved for site-wide feedback)

Thread moved

Advertisement