Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parque flooring

Options
  • 01-07-2021 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am looking to put parque flooring into a small room 4 metres squared.
    I know parque is expensive but I have been quoted €4000 for wood, glue, plywood underneath and fitting with 16m squared needed due to wastage.
    This is all from the flooring company who I think hire in a fitter.
    I cant afford this but still want it so I am looking for ways to get it done at a better price.
    I have sourced the wood from the north for €900 and I’m looking to get the plywood and glue also.
    Would I be able to just hire a fitter to do this and get all the material myself or will the fitters want to get the materials themselves to charge a mark up on that too?
    Is parque flooring too complicated for this, can I simple get 16 meters squared and get the fitter to work away with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Way too expensive, if the measurements are correct. The amount of waste depends on the shape of the room, and the size of the boards being used, but you don't need 4 times the size of the room in materials. What length are the walls, and which type of floor are you using, is it solid, semi solid, or laminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Way too expensive, if the measurements are correct. The amount of waste depends on the shape of the room, and the size of the boards being used, but you don't need 4 times the size of the room in materials. What length are the walls, and which type of floor are you using, is it solid, semi solid, or laminate.

i'd imagine by 4 metres squared they mean the room is 4 by 4 metres

bfclancy wrote: »
    i'd imagine by 4 metres squared they mean the room is 4 by 4 metres

If that's the case, they will need more than the 16sq m of flooring mentioned in the op, there's more than just the price that doesn't add up in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

Yes, sorry the room is just less than 4 metres by 4 metres so around 16 m squared. So the quote was for 15.42 plus 15% wastage

What type of floor is it, laminate, semi solid or solid, finished or will it need to be sanded and finished after its laid, are you putting the 3 runs around the wall, is fitting skirting and skirting included. You will probably need 7 sheets of ply €200-300, floor adhesive €150 approx, how is the plywood being fixed to the floor.
    Your being quoted €250/m, shouldn't be more than €150/m unless it's something very unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

We fitted parquet flooring last year in the hall, I bought the flooring through a UK distributor for half the price of the Dublin distributor.

Be careful with the person who fits the floor. Parquet can be tricky and needs an experienced fitter. I would definitely check that the fitter is experienced with Parquet. Ours took the best part of 2 days to fit, and the fitter spent ages measuring and marking the cement floor before even laying one piece. Excellent job was done.

What type of floor is it, laminate, semi solid or solid, finished or will it need to be sanded and finished after its laid, are you putting the 3 runs around the wall, is fitting skirting and skirting included. You will probably need 7 sheets of ply €200-300, floor adhesive €150 approx, how is the plywood being fixed to the floor.
    Your being quoted €250/m, shouldn't be more than €150/m unless it's something very unusual

Its semi solid flooring.
    I'm not sure what "3 runs" is!
    Fitting skirting is included.

The best quote that i have now is
    I was quoted
    16m2 flooring - €1500
    adhesive €250
    fitter - €600
    plywood €500

I am hoping to get
    16ms flooring €850
    adhesive €150
    fitter €600
    plywood €300

Is that a reasonable expectation?
    Not sure how the plywood would be fixed to the floor, would i need more adhesive for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

kdowling wrote: »
    Its semi solid flooring.
    I'm not sure what "3 runs" is!
    Fitting skirting is included.

The best quote that i have now is
    I was quoted
    16m2 flooring - €1500
    adhesive €250
    fitter - €600
    plywood €500

I am hoping to get
    16ms flooring €850
    adhesive €150
    fitter €600
    plywood €300

Is that a reasonable expectation?
    Not sure how the plywood would be fixed to the floor, would i need more adhesive for that?

Is this the sort of floor your looking for ?

https://www.woodfloorwarehouse.ie/catalog/product/view/id/626/s/diamond-white-oak-herringbone/category/6/

Juwwi wrote: »

Yes, thats the company we were looking to order from and were actually looking at that exact one you linked to but the wife chose a more expensive one eventually!

The room has original floor boards with thermal underlay and carpet.
    Would I need to factor in the cost of more thermal underlay or can i use existing one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Juwwi wrote: »

That's only a laminate floor, is there any crowds doing fully hardwood floor in herringbone do you know?

Double check the wastage, it's higher for herringbone / parquet style flooring, so you will need more that 16 sq meters worth. We got semi solid herringbone in the hall and I think I got 20% extra. I couldn't believe how little was left over - all small offcuts, in total only 2 unused planks.

enricoh wrote: »
    That's only a laminate floor, is there any crowds doing fully hardwood floor in herringbone do you know?

As per my last post, we got semi solid herringbone. Kruger is the brand we used, available in Dublin but I imported myself from Germany via UK retailer for half the price. Doubt that will make financial sense now with Brexit etc.

Advertisement