Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS POLLEN PARTICULARLY HIGH THIS SUMMER

Options
  • 01-07-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Dont normally suffer from hayfever but this year I cant seem to go out walking or cycling without all the symptoms.
    I know a couple of others who suddenly have the same problem .
    Has anyone else noticed . One friend is blaming the vaccine :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

My wife and one of my children suffer every year from the dreaded hayfever. It seems a bit worse this year than in the past, but then that's how we feel about it every year. Bloody curse of an allergy. One of my kids has not had any symptoms in the past but at 12 now she is getting some mild symptoms occasionally this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

If you have Facebook, follow the Donegal Weather Channel. They post updates on pollen count etc daily.

The last 2 days, pollen has been in the purple range, where colours go from yellow, to orange, to red, and finally purple at the highest levels

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Met Eireann also publish the pollen levels on twitter etc. It has been high this summer so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are you taking a daily anti-histamine?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seems to be coming from shrubs bushes and grass predominantly in my area which is very close to the botanic gardens and tolka park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

No because up to now I didnt suffer from it . Bit late in life ( nearer 70 than 50 ) to pick up an allergy I would have thought .

Reply meant for Tigerandahalf

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Definitely! The over the counter meds usually do me but this year I had to go to the GP for tablets, nasal spray and eye drops. The GP and the pharmacy both said they've never had so many people coming to them dying from hayfever as they've had this year.

Come from a farming background myself and used to have bad reaction to old dusty hay but thats fifty years ago and nothing since . Im not a vaccine sceptic / denier ive had the vaccine and very happy to have done so but wonder if any possible connection .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are you exercising at different time or location to previous years...

Grass pollen surges about 2 – 3 weeks earlier at sea level compared to mountainous areas. High levels of pollen occur on warm, dry and sunny days. Low levels occur on wet, damp and cold days. Rain washes pollen out of the air. Pollen is released in the morning and carried higher into the air by midday. It descends again to ‘nose-level’ in the late afternoon. Cities and dense urban areas stay warmer longer and hold pollen.
    https://www.allergy-ireland.ie/our-services/sinusitis-facility/hay-fever

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Bassfish wrote: »
    Definitely! The over the counter meds usually do me but this year I had to go to the GP for tablets, nasal spray and eye drops. The GP and the pharmacy both said they've never had so many people coming to them dying from hayfever as they've had this year.

Same...I finally submitted to it and got prescription off the doc, €60 spent in the chemist for all the stuff I got, to be fair it is working. I had been taking 3 over the counter anti histamines (and a nasal spray) a day and that still wasnt helping. Now I dont feel like I want to scratch my eyes out, and my mouth and nose isnt itchy any more.
    My 7 year old developed symptoms this year, poor lad has horrible nose bleeds from it.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are you exercising at different time or location to previous years...

Grass pollen surges about 2 – 3 weeks earlier at sea level compared to mountainous areas. High levels of pollen occur on warm, dry and sunny days. Low levels occur on wet, damp and cold days. Rain washes pollen out of the air. Pollen is released in the morning and carried higher into the air by midday. It descends again to ‘nose-level’ in the late afternoon. Cities and dense urban areas stay warmer longer and hold pollen.
    https://www.allergy-ireland.ie/our-services/sinusitis-facility/hay-fever

In terms of outdoor activity iv done nothing different this year compared to previous XXXXX years. Probably less actually .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s high in Dublin, it affects my Dad badly but he’s been very bad the last while...

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s high in Dublin, it affects my Dad badly but he’s been very bad the last while...

I can fully understand someone suffering badly at a particular time of the year if they have suffered in the past but its strange to be effected if it never happened before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are you taking a daily anti-histamine?

I get very little relief from them on bad days.
    From January last year I took a spoonful of Honey from local hives every day. Local honey has local polen. This is what you will most likely allergic to. The idea is that you will build up a tolerance to it. Last summer I definitely think my symptoms weren't as bad as usual. Unfortunately I didn't do the same thing this year and I'm suffering as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can fully understand someone suffering badly at a particular time of the year if they have suffered in the past but its strange to be effected if it never happened before :confused:

I’ve never suffered from it, but I’ve been doing an outdoor gym class and I’ve felt a bit of my eyes getting watery as well as a scratchy throat and slightly blocked nose...lots of trees and shrubbery surround the area....

He’s been affected but never to what I’ve noticed this summer

Advertisement