Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France stage 6: Tours to Châteauroux (160.4km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bambaata wrote: »
    Looking forward to overhead but Cav seemed to drift a fair bit too?

Really enjoyable drag race!

Just saw replay, he'll probably get away with it

Hell get away with it there was plenty of weaving going on all over the place.
    FDJ fighting mad for wheels with 4km to go only to be nowhere with 1km to go

Edit: Demare was actually 4th I didnt notice him sneak back up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

like cav or not he's fairly good in the interviews, gives credit to his guys, calls out the issues he sees with the other teams. at leat it's not just sound bytes

edit: although with the way the team are delivering him in he better be giving them credit

mossym wrote: »
    like cav or not he's fairly good in the interviews, gives credit to his guys, calls out the issues he sees with the other teams. at leat it's not just sound bytes

edit: although with the way the team are delivering him in he better be giving them credit

He is a p***k the way he was moaning about teams. Its called tactics and boo hoo Mark you are on the second biggest team in cycling so shut up and do the work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Hell get away with it there was plenty of weaving going on all over the place.
    FDJ fighting mad for wheels with 4km to go only to be nowhere with 1km to go

Edit: Demare was actually 4th I didnt notice him sneak back up

Demare's lead out man (Guarnieri) hit the deck at 3km to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Cavendish looks like he will get his stages barring mishap

Not looking good for Bennett and the Vuelta and other races at DQS

Lefevere wont take him imo
    He certainly doesn't want to pay him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

He is a p***k the way he was moaning about teams. Its called tactics and boo hoo Mark you are on the second biggest team in cycling so shut up and do the work

I’d agree with this. I thought his interview was cringeworthy! Such a shame Ewan is out of the race, there isn’t really any competition for Cab in the sprints

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ratracer wrote: »
    I’d agree with this. I thought his interview was cringeworthy! Such a shame Ewan is out of the race, there isn’t really any competition for Cab in the sprints

yeah - it really is a shame he is not here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ewan and Sam the two fastest men on the planet both out, it really couldn't have worked out better for him.

Demare's lead out man (Guarnieri) hit the deck at 3km to go.

Im probably just a bit harsh on himself and Coquard. Its bugging how they cant get close to a win in a poor field.

Looking at the sprint again Cavendishs swerve is pretty bad if you look at the road markings

Sagan who ???

No Bennett, Ewan, (fit) Dylan Groenewegen, etc

BTW I prefer Cav having a go ...I absolutely cant stand those interviews where is is all about how wonderful he and his team mates are and where he does the long pauses and tries to be deep and meaningful......I find them contrived

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Ewan and Sam the two fastest men on the planet both out, it really couldn't have worked out better for him.

Not just that - its helping that the other teams are just falling over each other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

If Marcel Kittle hadn't retired, he would have beaten them all.

lennymc wrote: »
    If Marcel Kittle hadn't retired, he would have beaten them all.

Yeah mad how quick it all ended for him, was it his mental game that put an end to him?

Yeah mad how quick it all ended for him, was it his mental game that put an end to him?

It was a big part of it, listening to him talk in commentary at the tour a few years ago not long after he retired it sounded like a massive weight had been lifted off of him. He wasn't getting the results a lot like Cav but wasn't injured or sick that I know of.

He seems a happy man now, 2 kids and he's in France commentating the Tour I think.

He had this on his instagram recently. Click to see his comment on it. Seems to very much have a love of cycling still.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPqiCrJnsJg

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Won't be a popular opinion around here but I don't think that Sam wins either of those stages that Cavendish just did. Cav's instincts for when to go and what wheels to follow are the best. No-one close to him in that respect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

think that's harsh. i don't particularly like Cavendish, but everyone else gets to complain about the teams with no sprint ambitions driving hard to the end and making things dangerous. at least he called them out.

if sagan said it it would be gospel.

mossym wrote: »
    think that's harsh. i don't particularly like Cavendish, but everyone else gets to complain about the teams with no sprint ambitions driving hard to the end and making things dangerous. at least he called them out.

if sagan said it it would be gospel.

It might just be his voice but he seems a real whingebag and I dont remember any other sprinters talk like that just after a win. He is a terrible sore loser too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Won't be a popular opinion around here but I don't think that Sam wins either of those stages that Cavendish just did. Cav's instincts for when to go and what wheels to follow are the best. No-one close to him in that respect.

Sam's top end speed is so much greater than any of the guys still here... I'm not sure he could have lost if he tried.

happytramp wrote: »
    Sam's top end speed is so much greater than any of the guys still here... I'm not sure he could have lost if he tried.

But Sam's kick is a little slower than Cav ( or Ewen). Cab looks to go into the finish a little bit slower, let's the other sprinters bunch up, surfs the wheels and kicks. Sam has his train driving at top speed from a couple of km out and sprints off that. No way would Alaphillipe be able to be at the front of affairs about 1200m out when it's being lined up for Bennett.

If Sam was there today, he would have been quickest, but off a different dynamic. Sam sprinting against Cav, in a "Cav" sprint, wouldn't be as clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

It might just be his voice but he seems a real whingebag and I dont remember any other sprinters talk like that just after a win. He is a terrible sore loser too

Sam had a go at the other teams straight after a stage win last year, I don't remember if it was the Tour, may have been Vuelta.

• Advertisement

It was a big part of it, listening to him talk in commentary at the tour a few years ago not long after he retired it sounded like a massive weight had been lifted off of him. He wasn't getting the results a lot like Cav but wasn't injured or sick that I know of.

He seems a happy man now, 2 kids and he's in France commentating the Tour I think.

He had this on his instagram recently. Click to see his comment on it. Seems to very much have a love of cycling still.

Thats a fantastic summary of cycling from him, shame he wasnt around for longer but im glad he is happy.
    Just shows the mental strain it all can be, look and Tom D also, so good to see him back though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sam had a go at the other teams straight after a stage win last year, I don't remember if it was the Tour, may have been Vuelta.

It was after paris-nice this year, but he's the Irish hero so don't change the narrative.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-criticises-rivals-after-sprint-win-in-paris-nice/

Plenty here moaned about Bora drilling it last year too on some stages

• Registered Users Posts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whether you like him or not Cav has been a great sprinter for a long, long time now.

Bought the GCN app the other day. I couldn't watch it today but watched the last 5km a short while ago. I'm loving the app.

Weepsie wrote: »
    It was after paris-nice this year, but he's the Irish hero so don't change the narrative.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-criticises-rivals-after-sprint-win-in-paris-nice/

Plenty here moaned about Bora drilling it last year too on some stages

Ya we are gonna moan about stuff it's an internet forum buts Cavendish has a reputation for being a bit of a sore loser/winner and Bennett isn't in his league in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive always loved the way Cav surfs the wheels at the end of a sprint, just the split second decision making s immense. great win

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

That's a marvellous happy ending for Kittel; immense talent but also a highly intelligent and sensitive fella, in fact, lots of pure sprinters are emotional types, living on the edge and under immense pressure and high speed stress. We tend not to like the petulant outbursts from the likes of Kittel and indeed Cavendish, but it's more genuine when it happens, an antidote to scripted 'marginal gains' media narrative that recent GC contenders have been peddling... pun intended

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The issues that Kittel, Big Tom, and even Cav, makes Lefevere's comments on Sam even fecking worse though. Dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Sagan who ???

No Bennett, Ewan, (fit) Dylan Groenewegen, etc

BTW I prefer Cav having a go ...I absolutely cant stand those interviews where is is all about how wonderful he and his team mates are and where he does the long pauses and tries to be deep and meaningful......I find them contrived

Which is probably why Cav is so prickly with the media - he's never going to make everyone happy with his media work. For every person like you who thinks its contrived, there's someone else who likes his style. But Cav maybe doesn't like being judged/ criticised/ manipulated for non-racing performances.

Nobody like's to be criticised. I'd probably get a yellow card warning if I called someone else's post contrived on here. But that's life as a professional athlete I guess. Can understand why he can give the media a hard time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

ive always loved the way Cav surfs the wheels at the end of a sprint, just the split second decision making s immense. great win

Got to say I love it too. Also love his crankiness and his no-f**ks-given attitude. He's there to win, for himself. That's it. Everything else is fluff in his eyes. I like more sports stars a bit prickly... All thriller, no filler!

• Advertisement

Paddigol wrote: »
    Which is probably why Cav is so prickly with the media - he's never going to make everyone happy with his media work. For every person like you who thinks its contrived, there's someone else who likes his style. But Cav maybe doesn't like being judged/ criticised/ manipulated for non-racing performances.

Nobody like's to be criticised. I'd probably get a yellow card warning if I called someone else's post contrived on here. But that's life as a professional athlete I guess. Can understand why he can give the media a hard time though.

Every rider gets criticized but look at MVdP or Roglic or Pogacar
    Ewan or Demare...None of these guys act like dicks

No one gets a card on here for saying an interview is contrived ...people have said far worse ...seems to me you dont want Cav criticized at all ...and he has no reason above any rider to treat the media very poorly. He has doled out some **** in his time. He is a superb sprinter but otherwise I have no time for him

And yes Cavandish 'meaningful' interviews are as contrived and painful as Wiggos and I have every right to say this on an opinion forum

Advertisement