Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this plant is?

Options
  • 01-07-2021 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭

IMG-6221.jpg

IMG-6222.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

The leaves look like an Atriplex, maybe A. patula, but the stems look too robust for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for your reply.. a mate gave it to me (said it was a sunflower - clearly not)

Plants with hastate leaves like this aren't too numerous. Have a look at Persicaria arifolia, a Tearthumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Looks like fallopia baldschuanica or russian vine to me,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To be honest, it reminds me of the vines and leaves of a sweet potato (the white variety).

• Advertisement

Fallopia crossed my mind too, but I couldn't find a link which showed hastate leaves. But that reminds me that I should go and check the corner of my garden where my father planted one, in spite of a huge family row, about 40 years ago. A decade later he spent lots of money cutting it down. Since then it's one of very few things that I always use glyphosate on if it reappears.

tl:dr if it is that, run!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Been there, did that :D

looksee wrote: »
    Been there, did that :D

?

sporina wrote: »
    ?

Planted a Fallopia and a couple of years later dug it up again.

looksee wrote: »
    Planted a Fallopia and a couple of years later dug it up again.

got ya - i'll be chucking it soon.. I didn't even want it (i appreciate plants but don't have green fingers myself).. I took it as it was a gift (said it was a sunflower though).. looks more like a weed to me now. :pac:

• Advertisement

No-one is saying it is a Fallopia, just to be careful if it is.

Bet your friend exchanged his cow for some magic beans, and this is what they're growing into.

Don't climb up . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭notAMember

I'd say your mate planted a sunflower in good faith, but something else jumped in and used the pot when the sunflower didn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

sporina wrote: »
    got ya - i'll be chucking it soon.. I didn't even want it (i appreciate plants but don't have green fingers myself).. I took it as it was a gift (said it was a sunflower though).. looks more like a weed to me now. :pac:

Any neighbour that you'd like to give 'an olive branch' to?

:D

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Any neighbour that you'd like to give 'an olive branch' to?

:D

lol.. no... but if i did, not sure how well it would be received..

I got a plant once as a secret santa pressie :eek: they wer prob fobbin off a gift they didn't like.. (thought it was thee oddest present I ever received)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Maybe sunflower seed was sown in the flower pot and didn't germinate.

I've had a few surprises with seeds.

Advertisement