Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Door Bell

Options
  • 01-07-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,
    At the moment, when we're putting kids to bed, doorbell rings are causing issues. Not that often, but considering installing a video doorbell which will route to the phone. Just on the off-chance that it is an important call to the door.
    What's the best place to source such a device?
    I guess it also works on WiFi which could be an issue, because we de-activate the WiFi at bedtime.
    Can video doorbell work when there's no WiFi?

Or if someone can tell me who supplies them and I can tease out our requirements with them.

Many Thanks,

Jos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

If you want the doorbell to send you the feed of who's ringing your doorbell, even at night, yes, you need wifi.

If you want the doorbell to ring, without wifi (but you dont get any notification) it's possible to use your current doorbell wiring to connect the video doorbell, and it will be your current house chime that will notify you if there's someone at the door. (While this is based in my Eufy experience, I think Ring allows the same).

I've no idea if there's any supplier in Ireland as the likes of Ring doorbell (Amazon) or Nest (Google) or Eufy, they deal mainly online.

you could get a cheaper router and get a second wifi just for the doorbell, just so you get the feed, and you could actually disable the doorbell chime, and use your phone as a chime, and also see who's at the door. I'm saying this because the video doorbell also works as a security camera, which may be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jos_kel

If you want the doorbell to send you the feed of who's ringing your doorbell, even at night, yes, you need wifi.

If you want the doorbell to ring, without wifi (but you dont get any notification) it's possible to use your current doorbell wiring to connect the video doorbell, and it will be your current house chime that will notify you if there's someone at the door. (While this is based in my Eufy experience, I think Ring allows the same).

I've no idea if there's any supplier in Ireland as the likes of Ring doorbell (Amazon) or Nest (Google) or Eufy, they deal mainly online.

you could get a cheaper router and get a second wifi just for the doorbell, just so you get the feed, and you could actually disable the doorbell chime, and use your phone as a chime, and also see who's at the door. I'm saying this because the video doorbell also works as a security camera, which may be handy

Thanks for the reply.
    Just thinking, if there was a regular doorbell with an on/off switch that would suffice.
    I know I can manually stick rubber/wood in the box to stop the ding, but don’t want to continuously do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

jos_kel wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Just thinking, if there was a regular doorbell with an on/off switch that would suffice.
    I know I can manually stick rubber/wood in the box to stop the ding, but don’t want to continuously do that.

A Woodies or B&Q should have a couple of wireless doorbells that will do the trick. You just get a portable chime, instead of using the one hanged in the wall.

Just make sure you replace the batteries from time to time (every couple months I would say)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What problem are you trying to solve? That you don't want to miss important vistors or that you don't want to be disturbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jos_kel

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    What problem are you trying to solve? That you don't want to miss important vistors or that you don't want to be disturbed?

In truth a bit of both, but the main problem I'm trying to solve is that we don't want to be disturbed when putting kids to bed as it is quite difficult to get the kids to settle into bedtime routine.
    I also work from home and have to go down 2 flights of stairs to answer the door during the day, but I can live with that, hey, it keeps me active I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ok so a wireless doorbell won't do that, nor will an on/off switch. Your original ask of a video doorbell will. I know sod all about them except that I tried to install one recently that my aunt got a half price deal on. Except it didn't work and no comeback from the mail order vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Olliebond

Useful read below, has a few tips, cannot post URL so just add https

://doorbellexpert.com/video-doorbell-without-wifi/

Advertisement