Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State pension for plastic paddy

Options
  • 01-07-2021 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just wondering, if anyone knows. Worked in Ireland during the Celtic Tiger years in total for 6 years (97-03). I was employed and made prsi contributions.
    Questions I have:
    Are these payments qualifying for a state pension or do they become invalid after all these years?
    How many payments must be made to qualify and can voluntary contributions be made even if not living in the ROI?
    Is the state pension means tested against state pensions in other EU-countries?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just wondering, if anyone knows. Worked in Ireland during the Celtic Tiger years in total for 6 years (97-03). I was employed and made prsi contributions.
    Questions I have:
    Are these payments qualifying for a state pension or do they become invalid after all these years?
    How many payments must be made to qualify and can voluntary contributions be made even if not living in the ROI?
    Is the state pension means tested against state pensions in other EU-countries?

Thank you.

You need 520 contributions (10 years to qualify). Can’t make voluntary cons if not resident.

You can however use these contributions to boost your pension in other EU countries (and Uk and more). You’ll need to apply in that country and put the details on the form. They’ll contact the Irish pension service

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Depends on your age but you must have at least 520 full-rate social insurance (PRSI) contributions paid since entering into insurable employment. (If you turned 66 before 6 April 2012, you need 260 paid full-rate contributions)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Out of interest, if you have 10 years of full contributions & another person has say 35 years of full contributions, do both people get the same pension amount? Assuming they are both the same age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No 10years contributions is the minimum for the lowest rate of con pension. It’s really very complex how it is worked out. I was just looking at my contributions recently trying to figure it out.

Out of interest, if you have 10 years of full contributions & another person has say 35 years of full contributions, do both people get the same pension amount? Assuming they are both the same age etc.

The yearly average calculation method uses the time spent in the PRSI system so that can complicate things but if we use the TCA method introduced in 2018 you need 40 years for the max pension

So someone with 10 years would get a quarter pension and someone with 35 years would get 35/40ths

There’s things like credits too but there’s a max of 20 years allowed for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's strange the way it's calculated, if you never worked a day in your life until you were 55 and then worked the next 10 years in full you would qualify for the full pension. If you started working part time at 16 and then did college etc and retutned to full employment at 25 and worked every single week until 65 you would likely not have enough averaged out to get full pension, all depends on when you first began working.

It's strange the way it's calculated, if you never worked a day in your life until you were 55 and then worked the next 10 years in full you would qualify for the full pension. If you started working part time at 16 and then did college etc and retutned to full employment at 25 and worked every single week until 65 you would likely not have enough averaged out to get full pension, all depends on when you first began working.

That’s why they’re getting rid of the yearly average system. The TCA system is much more straight forward

Advertisement