Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Is it possible to transfer an entry to someone else if you can't go? A clubmate has offered me their entry and I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere on the website apart from where it says "You may NOT ride under someone else’s name under any circumstances".

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

There is no facility for transferring an entry from one cyclist to another on the Reservoir Dog Sportive. Riders cannot ride under another persons name. Information submitted when the rider entered the event online is specific to that person including emergency contact details, CI membership status and rider email and phone number. In the run up to the event we will be sending important safety related information and briefings to riders registered email addresses. This is especially important in relation to Covid 19 related precautions and some resultant changes to the event. We are sorry that we cannot process transfers but the added complexity entailed in running the event this year will not allow us the admin resources to put in place such a process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Fair enough - thanks for the reply.👍️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is the point where I say, is anyone driving from my direction and wishing to take pity for petrol money.

Double jabbed and will be masked up. Can cycle home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I know some of the VCB lads are doing it. I can post on the club chat and see if anyone has space for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Hi. Does anyone knows the start and sign-in times please?

I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

many thanks

NMG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm tempted by your pair of gp4000's. If and but you had room and if I met you at the start and if I tucked a crisp folded €50 into your jersey pocket....?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I presume this information is still correct ...

Cyclists can arrive from 07:30 onwards on the Sunday morning in Russborough.

Note however, that the 125km Reservoir Dog route starts at 09:00, and the 65km Reservoir Pup starts at 09:30

See here: https://www.reservoircogs.ie/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Thanks Keep_Her_Lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

According to the Reservoir Cogs Facebook page, they are planning on sending out an email with details of start times etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just got it...

Dear Riders,

We hope that you are looking forward to riding this year's Reservoir Dog Sportive as much as we are looking forward to hosting it. Whether you are riding our event for the first time or you are a returning rider it is always a challenge to complete both routes. But if you pace yourself, eat and drink regularly along the way, you will get to the finish with a smile on your face.

The start time of the events is as follows; 125km Reservoir Dog roll out is 9am. 63km Reservoir Pup rollout is 9.30am. Gates to Russborough open at 7.30am. The registration area will be open from 7.40am. We will send a link for online sign on closer to the event.

We have attached an information document which should answer any questions you may have. As there is no safety briefing permitted at the start line this year, safety advice is instead contained in this attachment. Please take time to read it.

This year due to Covid 19 restrictions there have been some unavoidable changes that we have had to make; All food stops will be outdoors, There is no tea / coffee at the start. The 125km Dog event rolls out in two waves 5 minutes apart. We have attached a set of rider Covid 19 rider guidelines which you will need to be aware of. We have all been doing our best to keep each other safe for the last 18 months and these guidelines are just a extension of this approach. It is an outdoor event but we still need to watch out for each other.

We would like to thank you for supporting the Reservoir Dog Sportive 2021. Whether you ride the Pup or the Dog we want you all to have a fantastic day on your bike.

Ride Strong, Ride Steady and Ride Safe.

We look forward to seeing you there on Sunday.

The Reservoir Cogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I signed up to do the 125km, but for a number of reasons have not done the right type of training. I've done about 4,300km this year but that largely represents spins between 50 and 80km around Co Kildare with very little in the way of hills. For those that have done the 125km before, am I foolish to consider taking it on?

I did the 125 km sportive back in 2019. If you have 4,300 km in your legs so far this year (well done!), then you are going to have no issues at all with the route. You have the strength and conditioning for the distance and climbing.

I have only ridden about 700 km so far this year and I'm doing the 125 km route!

Has anyone that has been up to Sally Gap lately know if the route down from the top to blessington is still lots of loose chippings? It was that way near the top about 5-6 weeks. fine going up, but not great for the down.

Hiya Weepsie, I was up there route marking on Tuesday and the descent towards Manor Kilbride off Sallygap is fine. I also descended it on the bike last week and there are no problems with it. I was in contact with the county engineer a couple of weeks back to check if there was going to be any 'surprises' along the route from fresh chippings. There are two places on the route that road works have impacted in the last few weeks. The Road towards Kilbride at 3Castles was resurfaced and chipped a couple of weeks back. I was out for a spin on it at the weekend. There are some loose stones at the edge of the road but it has settled and is better than the crater strewn mess that was there before. The N81 between Russborough and Blessington has been undergoing major ripping and resurfaceing for the last few weeks. The County engineer tells me that it will be left in a good enough state to cycle on over this weekend. All riders will get an email with any late updates including course conditions 24hrs before rollout. I am heading out now in the next hour to complete signage and road marking on the Eastern side of the route from Sally Gap to Roundwood and Laragh stretch. Our Club Spins last Sunday rode both routes in full and there were no major issues to report. Though watch out for a bad pothole at the bottom of the first big descent off Sehan, just before Stone Cross. We have marked the F@!k out of it with yellow paint. Also the road up the back of Ballynultagh Gap - the last big climb is in very poor condition. But most riders will have plenty of time to pick their line as the climb the 8% stretches here. Just don't be admiring the view too much 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

@Corker1 i don’t suppose you have a garmin route?? I can’t seem to get the strava one to upload!

I put a Strava route and a Ride with GPS file for both routes on the rider info that went out this week. Sorry no Garmin route, but we are also going oldschool this year with a mapcard using this map prepared by EastWest Mapping in everyone's envelope which you need to collect before the start. One for the 63km Pup route too. Also lots of detailed route info on the website if you want to map it on Garmin for yourself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went up Cunard this morn. Covered in animal shite. Get to the front!!

I presume so, but maybe some horse or cattle too, something a bit bigger. has been fairly dry the last week or 2 so to be expected. Sheep were chilled out.

Very encouraging sign at the start too.

Hedge cutting on some of the roads in the area too, but not on the route I think.

UPDATE, I was speaking with the Wicklow Co Co roads engineer this morning and he informs me that 1) He had the road to Kilbride swept of chippings yesterday so it should be fine. 2) The Roadworks on the N81 should be cleared by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm more bothered by wheel slippage - everyone grinding up probably won't throw up too much (at least if they're at my pace up!).

I'm very much looking forward to this tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my last sportive was the Dog in 2019.

Drove up Cunard today. Mostly dried sheep shite on the upper stretch along Glassamucky. The 'Crux section lower down on Cunard is largely unaffected. as long as the weather stays dry it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

See ye there in the morning. I'll be the lad with the skinny legs and fat belly in the Clonard jersey 😜

We hope you enjoy it Dastardly. Hopefully we won't be too out of practice after our enforced year off hosting in 2020. Really looking forward to experiencing the Buzz of a Sportive again!

See ye then Daroxtar. I'll be the lad with the fat legs and the fat belly in the Hi Vis....😆

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

So here’s my event "report", of sorts. 

I was paid up for "The Dog" and was really looking forward to it but unfortunately picked up an injury a few days ago which has put me off the bike for a while. So I decided I would head out to the course this morning anyway and offer a few words of encouragement to the riders as they battled their way up that savage ramp on the approach to Cunard Road Upper, identified as The Wall on the course map. 

I spotted a couple of Boardsies and issued the required salutation. I took a couple of snaps on my phone, not very good, but here they are anyway. Fair play to everyone who hauled themselves over that kicker!

I also got a warm greeting from one KenMc of this parish, who was in fine form as he horsed his way up that hill! Good on ya, Ken! No photo of Ken, unfortunately, cos I was standing there thinking "Is that KenMc?", "That looks like KenMc" and Ken is looking at me and I’m looking at Ken, etc. 

As some of the last riders in the group came through, I witnessed an unfortunate incident. Two chaps were riding together and there was a bit of weaving going on, on account of the brutal gradient. Wheels touched and one of the riders fell over very heavily, landing on his hip. Coincidentally, the course ambulance happened to be travelling up the road behind them at the time, so professional assistance was on hand immediately. The fallen rider was in a lot of pain, so I hope his injury isn’t serious and that he makes a speedy recovery.

I winced as the ambulance driver got under way again, as the poor clutch was not enjoying that gradient one little bit. But no sooner had he got moving, than he had to stop again because of an oncoming car. The car driver seemed to have significant difficulty creating enough room for the ambulance to pass and there was a whole load more clutch slipping before the ambulance got moving again (I think I may also have heard a few words of "encouragement" from the ambulance driver to the car driver!). 

As I walked up the hill back towards my car (which was parked safely off the course on Cunard Road Upper), I was treated to the exquisite scent of burnt clutch. Then when I crested the next brow in the road, there was the ambulance pulled over to the side with a hape of shmoke bellowing out from under it. The smoke had cleared by the time I walked up to it and a course car was in attendance. Not a great start to the day for the ambulance crew or that poor rider. I hope all worked out OK.

And hopefully I’ll be joining KenMc and the Boardsies for the 2022 edition of the Reservoir Dog! Meanwhile, I look forward to reading a few proper reports from those who participated today.