Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Americans who recently visited Ireland

Options
  • 01-07-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm an American citizen living in Ireland, and my family from the US is planning to arrive in Ireland next week for family reasons. I've tried looking for what paperwork they might need under the "essential travel" guidelines that the DFA/HSE posted but the descriptions have been pretty unhelpful. They are all vaccinated and will be completing the 5-day quarantine at my house in Galway.

For those from the States who recently came to Ireland and were vaccinated, did customs ask for documentation surrounding your visit? Looking for help to prevent them from being denied entry for some reason that I might've missed looking online. Any insight would be hugely appreciated - thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

alexd576 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm an American citizen living in Ireland, and my family from the US is planning to arrive in Ireland next week for family reasons. I've tried looking for what paperwork they might need under the "essential travel" guidelines that the DFA/HSE posted but the descriptions have been pretty unhelpful. They are all vaccinated and will be completing the 5-day quarantine at my house in Galway.

For those from the States who recently came to Ireland and were vaccinated, did customs ask for documentation surrounding your visit? Looking for help to prevent them from being denied entry for some reason that I might've missed looking online. Any insight would be hugely appreciated - thank you in advance!

They will need a PCR test 72 hours prior to arriving in Ireland, not leaving US
    They will need to have an address of where they are quarantine and they probably should have an idea of where they plan on getting tested after their 5th day

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alexd576

awsah wrote: »
    They will need a PCR test 72 hours prior to arriving in Ireland, not leaving US
    They will need to have an address of where they are quarantine and they probably should have an idea of where they plan on getting tested after their 5th day

Great, I think we have all of that squared away. Did you just come into Ireland? Did customs ask for documentation proving your visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It's not Customs they'll be dealing with, it's Border Control. The DFA website is very clear, they advise only essential travel with a mandatory negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival in the State, and proof of completed Passenger Locator Form.

Great, I think we have all of that squared away. Did you just come into Ireland? Did customs ask for documentation proving your visit?

No but my family member just came in last week and that's what she had to do, she wanst asked for anything in customs. When she left the states that's when she was told the 72 hours had to cover time of landing. I dont know what you mean by proving a visit, sue was staying with family and had no proof of such

No but my family member just came in last week and that's what she had to do, she wanst asked for anything in customs. When she left the states that's when she was told the 72 hours had to cover time of landing. I dont know what you mean by proving a visit, sue was staying with family and had no proof of such

I just mean whether or not she had to have anything (paperwork or otherwise) proving that her visit was necessary to enter into Ireland.

• Advertisement

I just mean whether or not she had to have anything (paperwork or otherwise) proving that her visit was necessary to enter into Ireland.

Her visit wasn't necessary, she was attending an anniversary mass and a wedding, I thought we had tourists coming into Ireland all the time? When I flew in last year I was asked nothing about what the purpose of my visit was

Her visit wasn't necessary, she was attending an anniversary mass and a wedding, I thought we had tourists coming into Ireland all the time? When I flew in last year I was asked nothing about what the purpose of my visit was

That's what I thought too - I just figured that people were perhaps lying about what their reasons were for entering. But if she wasn't asked for the purpose of her visit, I guess that provision never effectively mattered?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

My aunt came in last week. Dont think she was asked purpose of visit.

She did need:
    Proof of vaccination
    Proof of PCR test <72hrs old
    An address to put on the passenger locator form

Go here to book free pcr test for 5 days after they arrive. Need to do this the day before they land +/- 1 day:

https://covid19traveltest.healthservice.ie/hse-self-referral/?flow=travel

sbs2010 wrote: »
    My aunt came in last week. Dont think she was asked purpose of visit.

She did need:
    Proof of vaccination
    Proof of PCR test <72hrs old
    An address to put on the passenger locator form

Go here to book free pcr test for 5 days after they arrive. Need to do this the day before they land +/- 1 day:

Great, thank you for the info. Her visit was just to see family?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Great, thank you for the info. Her visit was just to see family?

Yes, family visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Advertisement