Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions to ask when viewing a green field site in the country?

Options
  • 01-07-2021 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

A friend of a friend knows a farmer that may be interested in selling a 1acre site that we are hoping to view this weekend.

What are some of the obvious questions or things that i should be thinking about when looking at it ?

It’s a 1 acre part of a field about 5 miles outside my local town. , i understand it’s on a private road that is up a significant hill.

Things like :

Do they legally have the deeds ?
    Is there water and electricity run to the site ?
    Where does the sun rise and set ?
    Is there any drainage concerns ?
    Any concerns with the soil or rock underneath ?

Any little tips or pointers no matter how random is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

My first consideration would be, can I get planning on this site?.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

What else uses the road, and is it disruptive?
    Can deliveries, bin trucks and other stuff get to your house.
    Is there scope for more sites around this one, and would you be okay with that.
    What are the neighbours like.
    You'll see it in summer, but think what it's going to be like in the dark, in rain, in snow, in icy weather.
    Sewerage
    Internet

That's a few to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Dav010 wrote: »
    My first consideration would be, can I get planning on this site?.

Christ, that will tell you where my head is at…
    That might be a good one to ask alright …
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

What else uses the road, and is it disruptive?
    Can deliveries, bin trucks and other stuff get to your house.
    Is there scope for more sites around this one, and would you be okay with that.
    What are the neighbours like.
    You'll see it in summer, but think what it's going to be like in the dark, in rain, in snow, in icy weather.
    Sewerage
    Internet

That's a few to start with

Internet nearly more important than running water at this stage !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Is the boundary confirmed or contested by 3rd party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

As mentioned already - planning permission, any applications already made on the site?
    Definitely physically check as much as possible where your electric and water connections would be. "20 yards out the gate could be 200 metres and through someone elses land.
    Look at the type of growth on the site and if its on a slope check for boggy parts, all part of drainage (as already mentioned)
    Private road - do you have full use of it? Any gates? Check for road width and can house building materials be delivered? Any tight turns or small bridges that would stop a delivery truck. If not is there somewhere close by that could be used?
    Find out as much as possible about the seller. I'd be surprised if there hasn't been a planning app done on the site previously.
    Always trust your gut instinct!
    The hardest part is the build itself so make sure you get the right site...I'm currently midway through a self build and it's rewarding but a lot of work. Any questions just ask and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭paul71

Does it flood, even once in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

If it's a private lane, your lender may insist on a right of way, all landowners along the lane need to agree to this, not just the guy that owns this field.
    Always a good idea to ask questions but bear in mind this guy is selling something so do your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thanks.

That isn’t something you ask the farmer. You have to go to the planning office for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

I’m guessing the farmer won’t know much more than yourself about the site. The soil would have to be tested to check its drainage quality, etc. You will be buying the site “subject to planning” I’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Big one would be that the sale of the site is subject to you getting planning on it unless you are buying it at farmland value.

Also subject to an engineering survey to determine how wet it is, how much rock, percolation etc, more than a few people have gotten a free site from family only to dump €30k of rock breaking and concrete into a raft foundation (farmers tend to giveaway the crappier sections of their land)

Second would be adding in a wayleave on that private road entrance, it needs to be shared ownership between you and the farmer so neither of ye can just put a locked gate on it and you might need to alter it to get ESB and eircom to your house.

Have a look at the land surrounding the house and ask the farmer how often they spread slurry on it or is it for cows who can be quite noisy!

As far as I know farmers have limits to how much of their land can be sold for one off housing, that's why its nearly always kept for their family to build on so you might need to check that with them in case they don't know that and one of their kids gets refused planning in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Oh yeah "up a significant hill" isn't going to help you with planning as the house will be quite visible and you need to factor on the cost of leveling the site, any retaining walls and the like, could cost alot if there is rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Thanks.

You need to look at the rural development section of your council's current county development plan. In Kildare for example, you need to be from the rural area within a tight radius (local town doesn't count), or be involved in the rural economy (farming, equine, horticulture, etc).

Advertisement