Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 01-07-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what this weed/flower is? It’s all over my grass, I hate the look of it but the bees love it so I have no plans to get rid, just wondering what it is?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The white one is clover, the purple one is self-heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

looksee wrote: »
    The white one is clover, the purple one is self-heal.

Seems to be way more than I had last year, does it just take over the grass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

clover > grass

clover > grass

Seems I have a lot to learn about lawns!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

clover is more drought tolerant than grass, and is leguminous (i.e. it fixes nitrogen, so actually feeds the soil); many of the lawn weed'n'feed companies would have you classify it as a weed because their product kills it, so they want you to think it's a weed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have to decide, either you want a lawn, ie, perfect blades of grass unsullied by anything else. Or 'grass' which includes creeping buttercup, daisies, clover, self-heal, veronica, dandelions, scarlet pimpernel, and numerous other things that the insects/bees etc love and which is much more interesting.

looksee wrote: »
    You have to decide, either you want a lawn, ie, perfect blades of grass unsullied by anything else. Or 'grass' which includes creeping buttercup, daisies, clover, self-heal, veronica, dandelions, scarlet pimpernel, and numerous other things that the insects/bees etc love and which is much more interesting.

I’m an ideal world I’d have a lawn but to be fair I do like how the bees jump around the grass so will be leaving it as is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I’m an ideal world I’d have a lawn but to be fair I do like how the bees jump around the grass so will be leaving it as is!!

You can mow that growth back (don't go too hard on it) and most of those will flower again in a couple of weeks- actually better for the pollinators as the second flowering provides more nectar because the plants haven't gone to seed. I have a lot of lawn/meadow, so I tend to cut different sections at different times (as well as leaving some bits to grow on as "full" meadow) and this seems to work well.

Advertisement