Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed - Probably more than advice.....

Options
  • 02-07-2021 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Sorry to ask, and this is a long one, but I need your help. I don't mind paying someone to sort it out, because I think it is beyond me.

Basically. I had a self-build PC, which was working okay, built it myself in 2015 or so. I5, Asus MB, 16GB Ram, suited me fine. I did upgrade the Graphics card last year to a RTX2060, and for storage had 2 SSD drives and a HDD.
    Last week I tried, for some stupid reason, to update the BIOS, but I also changed something in Windows, and I have no idea what, trying to change UEFI or something. The upshot of both of these is that I could not get the PC to power on again. Could not even get the BIOS to run. It powered on, fans and that went on, but nothing on screen. I tried disconnecting the GFX card and using the onboards graphics, as well as using different displayport and HDMI cable etc., to no avail. Computer would just not get anything on screen.

So I decided that I would just upgrade. Ordered a I7, MSI590 MB, 32Gb Ram and a CPU liquid cooling system. Put it all together tonight, and for a start it just kept booting to Bios. Eventually managed to boot it to Windows on my old SSD, which looked pretty much like the same as I had it last week, but no network, and I assume it is just "not right". Then logged off and it just goes back to the Bios and will not boot.
    To be honest I'm at my wits end. Thought I could manage to upgrade the MB, CPU and keep the other components, but I think things have come on since I last built a PC. I also think I did not have all of the correct power cables, etc. to go into the MB, and various bits and pieces.
    I thought I could just put the Windows USB in and reinstall the whole thing, but its not working out like that. Anyway, if anyone can assist, I would be very grateful. I don't mind paying someone for their time. I'm in Leixlip, but Dublin is grand also.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is the old drive using MBR or GPT? Was the old system using BIOS, given that the newer one is UEFI?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Spear wrote: »
    Is the old drive using MBR or GPT? Was the old system using BIOS, given that the newer one is UEFI?

I think my problem is that i don't even know the answer to that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is1ldur wrote: »
    I think my problem is that i don't even know the answer to that!

What model was the original motherboard?

Spear wrote: »
    What model was the original motherboard?

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

That uses UEFI, rather than BIOS. Which suggests the drive has GPT, and not the older MBR, which would need certain options, usually called legacy mode or compatability support mode to allow for booting off a drive using MBR.

• Advertisement

Just ordered a new case and PSU, gonna turn this into a new build altogether. Hopefully that will make things a little easier. Cheers for the advice.

Just ordered a new case and PSU, gonna turn this into a new build altogether. Hopefully that will make things a little easier. Cheers for the advice.

I'd say that's probably a bit rash in terms of fixing the issue, there's a lot more things that could be tested, including removing it from the case entirely and testing it externally, in case of a short and to check connections.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's probably just some setting in the BIOS that is not picking up the drives or something like that. If you lived in the city centre I'd gladly pop around and take a look at it for you.

Thanks guys, I might still need your help. I thought it better just to start afresh, I didn't even have some of the power connectors which the mobo seems to need. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks guys, I might still need your help. I thought it better just to start afresh, I didn't even have some of the power connectors which the mobo seems to need. I'll let you know how I get on.

Is that the EPS CPU power connector you mean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement