Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheep scales

• 02-07-2021 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

was thinking of welding a bar onto gate and hanging a sheep scales from it
    .not too sure how to hang the lamb onto it to weigh was thinking of some kind of straps myself any ideas will be very welcome ..or did amybody on here make their own lamb scales thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

was thinking of welding a bar onto gate and hanging a sheep scales from it
    .not too sure how to hang the lamb onto it to weigh was thinking of some kind of straps myself any ideas will be very welcome ..or did amybody on here make their own lamb scales thanks in advance

Buy a proper one...

Between the messing to get your solution working, and then once done, getting each lamb into whatever contraption to lift them, and after this the lamb kicking and jumping and you getting a reading between 30 and 50kg, then realising that it took you 2 hours to weigh 10 lambs when with a crate its a 15 mins job - you'll be cursing not buying one... ;)

I would say keep an eye on donedeal, or maybe put an add up that you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Country lad

was suppose to buy one off of a neighbour of mine but he decided not to sell it after .would
    nt be weighing a lot of lambs as sell some as stores to a neighbour

and sell some to factory as well and never far out with their weight by lifting them only a simple scales i need to the weigh the odd one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

was suppose to buy one off of a neighbour of mine but he decided not to sell it after .would
    nt be weighing a lot of lambs as sell some as stores to a neighbour

and sell some to factory as well and never far out with their weight by lifting them only a simple scales i need to the weigh the odd one

A scales will pay for itself.
    If you start to weigh lambs regularly you will be calculating their daily live weight gain. This in turn keeps you focused on keeping them thriving cos you don't want to be disappointed when you're weighing again in 3 weeks time! After this you will have heavier lambs which will pay for the scales over a year or 2 depending on how many lambs you have and you will have your scales for many years after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Made one years ago. Simple to make

Hard to draw properly. Reverse lambs in barrow type basket and have a hooks to put front legs through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

razor8 wrote: »
    Made one years ago. Simple to make

Hard to draw properly. Reverse lambs in barrow type basket and have a hooks to put front legs through

Bought same off done deal few years back... 120e factory made. Great yoke and weights meal etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fargo_Boyle_

Would either of you be able to post a picture or two of the barrow type looking to make one? 2nd hand crates are scarce on donedeal and around the 500 euro mark.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'll post it but it be a couple of days... I have a new clock fitted to an old one which I'm thinking of selling but I haven't calibrated it yet.

Advertisement