Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary generator for home office

Options
  • 02-07-2021 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Currently working from home like so many others but we've been told our power is going to be cut off for period, potentially a whole day, next week. We work from a separate building from the main house, though the power feed does come from the meter in the house. What options are there in terms of temporarily hooking up a generator to the office building so we can keep things running? It's not the first time this has happened and can't really afford to be out of action for a whole day and don't have the option to work from anywhere else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

How much/What type of equipment as are you talking about

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You may be able to rent a small generator.
    It may be easier to run an extension lead to a neighbor assuming they have power? Ensure the cable is not going to be damaged or become a tripping hazard if doing this.

2011 wrote: »
    You may be able to rent a small generator.
    It may be easier to run an extension lead to a neighbor assuming they have power? Ensure the cable is not going to be damaged or become a tripping hazard if doing this.

This would be best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Small office setup, two pc's, phones, printers, backup server etc. Nearest neighbour would be over 500m away (quite rural) so no chance to run a cable to them. In all likelyhood, they'll be off too anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Internet connection via modem in the main house?

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    Internet connection via modem in the main house?

No, standalone separate internet connection for the office.

What would that be about 1.5 KVA max ?

You need the right type Genny , think it's an inverter true sine wave type, I forget the details somebody else prob knows

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Chiorino wrote: »
    Small office setup, two pc's, phones, printers, backup server etc. Nearest neighbour would be over 500m away (quite rural) so no chance to run a cable to them. In all likelyhood, they'll be off too anyway

Ok, running an extension lead sounds like it would not make sense.

Although your load is very small my concern would be that a small generator may have bad volatge regaultion. This is not an issue for many appliances but personally I would be nervous with expensive sensitive electronic equipment.

Can you work somehwere else for one day?

Henry... wrote: »
    What would that be about 1.5 KVA max ?

You need the right type Genny , think it's an inverter true sine wave type, I forget the details somebody else prob knows

yes, somthing like this is a good option but could be difficult to rent.

2011 wrote: »
    Ok, running an extension lead sounds like it would not make sense.

Although your load is very small my concern would be that a small generator may have bad volatge regaultion. This is not an issue for many appliances but personally I would be nervous with expensive sensitive electronic equipment.

Can you work somehwere else for one day?

I forgot that bit

True sine wave with AVR

There must be a Genny available that does this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not sure if a building-site genny is the right option if you'll have PC's running off it, as who knows what shape/frequency the waveform will be.
    https://www.hss.ie/g/41506/6kVA-Silenced-Diesel-Generator.html
    If they were all laptops, then I'd say it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wonder with power being out will your internet be affected, is there any electronics in the mini pillars that might lose power?

I never liked them for electronic equipment

I wouldn't be hooking them up to the board anyway, don't like that either

Connect the equipment direct

No, standalone separate internet connection for the office.

Then rent a generator , silenced generator if available and a few good quality exterior leads. You could with proper wiring get a back up generator wired in but a rather expensive option.

Working somewhere else isn't really an option as I wouldn't be able to access my database or server if the power in the office isn't active. I don't believe there is any issue with the internet being affected if I can maintain power to the router (internet is via satellite dish)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You will also have to sort out getting the power to the items as you would have to run cables to them all and then unhook them once your power is back on.

You're better off buying a bottle of wine and asking a friend to use a spare bedroom for the day. If that fails a nearby hotel room for the day and expenses it.

afatbollix wrote: »
    You will also have to sort out getting the power to the items as you would have to run cables to them all and then unhook them once your power is back on.

You're better off buying a bottle of wine and asking a friend to use a spare bedroom for the day. If that fails a nearby hotel room for the day and expenses it.

Ya lol there's about 3 options

Run a lead

Hire a Genny

Move your equipment somewhere

Ya lol there's about 3 options

Run a lead

Hire a Genny

Move your equipment somewhere

Can't move the equipment and the lead isn't a runner so looks like a genny will have to be hired and a few extension leads bought. I can get a 2kva Honda inverter genny like this https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Honda-EU20i-Petrol-Portable-Generator/dp/B000VDFQDW local enough for small money. Would that be suitable?

Can't move the equipment and the lead isn't a runner so looks like a genny will have to be hired and a few extension leads bought. I can get a 2kva Honda inverter genny like this https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Honda-EU20i-Petrol-Portable-Generator/dp/B000VDFQDW local enough for small money. Would that be suitable?

I don't know sorry, without spending half the afternoon researching

There's a poster here Sir Liamolot that knows a lot about this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭247music

Do you plan on making tea at some point? Only capable of 1.6kw, most kettles would be 3kw and that's before you add in the load of all your other equipment...

If your dead set on a Jenny, then your best option is to find a hiring company that have a larger Kva invertor generator.

• Advertisement

247music wrote: »
    Do you plan on making tea at some point? Only capable of 1.6kw, most kettles would be 3kw and that's before you add in the load of all your other equipment...

One of the previous posters suggested 1.5KVA but 2 KVA seems to be the smallest available to rent to any degree. What potential issues would I have by getting one that's larger (other than the cost)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One of the previous posters suggested 1.5KVA but 2 KVA seems to be the smallest available to rent to any degree. What potential issues would I have by getting one that's larger (other than the cost)?

The larger the better as less risk of not having enough to power what you need as mentioned cup of tea or whatever.

So if you take into account say load is 2kw then you would be best with 3kw to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely.

Book a holiday off. I mean that in all seriousness.

listermint wrote: »
    Genuinely.

Book a holiday off. I mean that in all seriousness.

I'm guessing it's a self employed person.

Car99 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's a self employed person.

Correct. I'd love to be able to just take the day off but it's not possible at the moment.

As far as I can see all you need is an inverter type generator

I wouldn't know too much about them but they seem to have the clean sine wave and voltage regulation built-in

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As far as I can see all you need is an inverter type generator

I wouldn't know too much about them but they seem to have the clean sine wave and voltage regulation built-in

Yes but I would still suggest to use the extension leads with the protection on them also to be safe....
    If doing work that if not saved can be lost, constantly save, save and save....

Yes but I would still suggest to use the extension leads with the protection on them also to be safe....
    If doing work that if not saved can be lost, constantly save, save and save....

Seems to be as simple as that for small sensitive loads if I'm reading it correctly on the gennys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I have a Honda EU20i for exactly the purpose you are describing. I have used it several times to run 2 desktop PC's, a couple of laptops, router, modem, network switches, printer and a few lights. It's fairly quiet especially on low loads as the auto throttle adjusts engine speed to meet load. It's an invertor generator so output voltage and frequency are stable. I've also used it to run the sound board and a couple of 500W amplifiers at smaller outdoor events and it had no problem doing that either.

I use it with a camping power cable like this which adds RCD protection. You can either change the plug for a 13A one or use an adapter like this, or any 13A extension with RCD built in would be fine too.

A couple of 5l petrol cans will keep you going for the day. Just make sure no exhaust can get into the building through an open window etc, maybe consider a carbon monoxide alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Small UPS might be the best option here once you keep an eye on your usage.

Advertisement