Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary generator for home office

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

As an update, nowhere seems to have any small inverter generators available. Spoke to one crowd and they suggested that all their generators have built in automatic voltage regulation so they'd be fine to use with pc's and the like. I'm skeptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Chiorino wrote: »
    As an update, nowhere seems to have any small inverter generators available. Spoke to one crowd and they suggested that all their generators have built in automatic voltage regulation so they'd be fine to use with pc's and the like. I'm skeptical.

My understanding was that you still need the inverter type for the clean sine wave

Have you no way of working off mobile devices for a day

Henry... wrote: »
    My understanding was that you still need the inverter type for the clean sine wave

My understanding too. I'd actually leave everything off before I'd take the chance of frying it all.

My understanding too. I'd actually leave everything off before I'd take the chance of frying it all.

I wouldn't be hooking up a standard generator with AVR

• Advertisement

Have you no way of working off mobile devices for a day

The main problem is access to server/database which I won't have if the power is down. I can do very little without this, other than reply to emails/calls to tell clients there's nothing I can do until the following day. If that ends up being the case, I might as well leave it to auto reply and voicemail.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-EU20i-Petrol-Portable-Generator/dp/B000VDFQDW

That one referenced above the Honda EU20i looks about right to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭con747

Not sure if any use to you but Aldi have this https://www.aldi.ie/scheppach-1200w-inverter-generator/p/806491470899400 on sale on Thursday.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Not sure if any use to you but Aldi have this https://www.aldi.ie/scheppach-1200w-inverter-generator/p/806491470899400 on sale on Thursday.

Unfortunately it would be too small and the day after it's needed but thanks. I'll keep looking but I think I'm close to running out of options and am just going to have to literally pull the plug for the day. Thanks for all the input and advice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭con747

Your local tool hire place will have a suitable one.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The main problem is access to server/database which I won't have if the power is down. I can do very little without this, other than reply to emails/calls to tell clients there's nothing I can do until the following day. If that ends up being the case, I might as well leave it to auto reply and voicemail.
    Even medium to large commercial businesess just get an appropriate size UPS for this type of backup. We do work for a large global tech company and for their comms and server rooms on site they use a battery UPS . Thats the avenue you need to be pursuing they are not big or bulky at all for reasonable size loads.

con747 wrote: »
    Your local tool hire place will have a suitable one.

I would have thought so but I've rang a half dozen and no joy. A couple hadn't even a clue what I was looking for.

Even medium to large commercial businesess just get an appropriate size UPS for this type of backup. We do work for a large global tech company and for their comms and server rooms on site they use a battery UPS . Thats the avenue you need to be pursuing they are not big or bulky at all for reasonable size loads.

How long will they allow you to operate the PCs and equipment here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Even medium to large commercial businesess just get an appropriate size UPS for this type of backup. We do work for a large global tech company and for their comms and server rooms on site they use a battery UPS .

These tend to have an autonomy of 15 minutes, rarely as much as 30 minutes. Generally a UPS is just used to bridge the gap until the generators kick in.
    Thats the avenue you need to be pursuing they are not big or bulky at all for reasonable size loads.

They will be large and expensive option if you want to keep everything going for 24 hours on just one occasion.

2011 wrote: »
    These tend to have an autonomy of 15 minutes rarely as much as 30 minutes. Generally a UPS is just used to bridge the gap until the generators kick in.

They will be large and expensive option if you want to keep everything going for 24 hours one just one occasion.

That's what I assumed as well

Can you not move the server off site or something and access it remotely, then use tablets and mobiles to work
    I dunno

I would be veering toward the inverter generator if no other options

You have it for backup again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

That's what I assumed as well

Can you not move the server off site or something and access it remotely, then use tablets and mobiles to work
    I dunno

I would be veering toward the inverter generator if no other options

You have it for backup again

All depends on load and UPS . But likely to work out an expensive option alright if you wanted 8 hours backup or similar, much more expensive for 24hrs backup.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

All depends on load and UPS

……and the required autonomy. I would not think that there is any UPS rental option either :D
    But likely to work out an expensive option alright if you wanted 8 hours backup or similar, much more expensive for 24hrs backup.

I think it would be far cheaper to buy a suitable generator.

Advertisement