Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy attitude to Ladies/Girls in Sport

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That's a brutal email - pushing the responsibility back on you rather than taking the initiative and saying "can you give us the details in confidence and we'll follow up with your county board & county manager"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I thought that too.

It seems that the majority of people involved (that i know/dealt with) just do the bare minimum.

Half ar$ed seems to be the modus operandi for the girls.

County Boards ? seems morelike County Bored ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

As MacDanger said, that's an awful email.

No acceptance of any responsibility, the suggestion being that the county manager is not part of their remit and that somehow you are the one who needs to take this up with them. That email reads as a pure handwashing exercise and a badly phrased one at that. And to finish it off by slamming the county manager as being responsible for players leaving the sport as if it has absolutely nothing to do with them ... desperate stuff. A bad manager blames his/her staff when things go wrong and this certainly reads like that. If the county manager is at fault here that reflects badly on the organisation and Leinster LGFA should take responsibility, not throw their own volunteer under the bus like this. Is it any wonder volunteers are hard to come by if this is how they are treated.

If anyone wants to listen.

Click on Deise Today 10.00 -11.00

Forward on to 45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

It'd be fairly standard in men's and underage boy's inter county GAA to name teams for programmes a few days in advance of the fixture. And it would be reasonably common that the teams then might not actually line out as named 1 to 15 on the programme.

The Leinster LGFA secretary is 100% correct. If the team manager isn't informing the players of the starting team until shortly before throw in, that's not the fault of the organising body for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What was your email to them? You seem to blame them for printing the team and used that as a reason that girls are leaving the sport. I can see why they got defensive to be honest.

If their rules are to submit the team three days in advance and the manager knows it will be printed in the programme then it is entirely on the manager what happened.

How do parents to know that the management should be telling their squad who are starting in the match ?

All parents were handed the match programme going in, and read the starting teams, the girls didnt know the team until then.

My email that was sent to the Leinster Lgfa secretary - it was replied to by a games development officer.

Good morning.

My daughter was involved in the gf finals that were played last night.

The thing is , she , and everyone else involved, found out she/they weren’t starting by looking up the ‘Team news’ on your website!

Is that really the correct way to find out before you arrive at the ground for a leinster final?

I don’t think it is correct, on either the players or the management.

Its hard enough to keep girls interested in sports without the added pressure of everyone knowing the team before the management announce it!

Maybe the release of the teams could be delayed until after throw in, or after the game?

Apart from that gripe, I think the promotion of the finals was very good.

I hope you accept my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Peculiar thread with a peculiar title. If I got a bad burger at my local McDonalds, would I call it "Declining Standards in Global Fast Food Chains"

One thing I will say is this - the most underappreciated and most widely criticized segment within the gaa is underage coaches.

You've a substantial thread on boards, radio interviews, Anna Geary weighing in on a person that in all probability has been giving up 3 or 4 evenings of their own personal time, over several years, to coach - for free - your kids OP and other peoples kids; and to also manage all the administrative thankless crap that goes around that.

And they make a decision that you dont like and all hell breaks loose.

Why would anyone bother.

FFS.

Peculiar ??

How so? Overall there is a lazy attitude to girls in sport. You would need to be blind to not see it.

I coach underage in gaa and soccer , so i know all about dedicating time...blah blah blah...

Being a "manager" involves all aspects of managing a team - all aspects even the bits you dont like - 'administrative thankless crap that goes around that'

Theres 4 people on the 'management team' to delegate the tasks involved.

" all hell breaks loose" -????

"And they make a decision that you dont like" - it wasnt a decision, it was that they failed to tell girls at training the night before a Leinster Final who was starting ??? I suppose that is a decision- a decision to not tell them....

"why would anyone bother" ?? bother playing? bother coaching? bother travelling to games ?

Take it easy on the sensationalism .

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe I'm blind.

I dont really see it. I see people making huge efforts. You obviously dont. Maybe its a glass half full half empty situation.

The one thing I would question wrt to girls in sport is that where the Gaa and Soccer are concerned, its nearly all dads doing the coaching. The mothers dont do it. (some do obviously, but its way more the dads). If I was to pick one area where I think people need to stop making excuses it would be there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Camogie will be under the GAA wing faster than the LGFA, when you have one person at the top for nearly 25 years you can see what happens.

The Camogie have put it into their rulebook about facilitating the dual player - but I know in the past it was a case of one organisation fixing their fixtures and the other putting their games in before them.

The biggest problem with county boards is that people take positions to benefit their own club - and nothing else. I've seen it everywhere - you'll have a few on a board who are there for the right reasons and others who are there for the wrong reasons. Because so much power is at the top, you can't rattle the cage too much for fear of retribution.

On the whole KK debacle - Leinster Council should never have fixed a game like that for midweek - that is extremely poor. The excuse re the bus is valid, but at the same time mitigations can be made i.e. mask wearing etc. What the county manager did, not naming the team is old school - in this day and age the teams are out on social media before the game so the manager is completely at fault there - teams need to be named the same night the details go to the relevant boards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

It was down to your teams manager - in this day and age the squads for every intercounty game are named well before throw in, they are an essential part of promotion - if I were you I'd email your county secretary or county development officer. The management team need to be spoken to about it - they may not be aware that the team list goes into the board for a programme (though they should be). A situation like this is down to management - there is a massive amount of admin involved, but that is now excuse for girls finding out they are playing/not playing in a Leinster final via the match programme

Huge efforts - yes i agree, but at grassroots, its half ar$ed.

Whats wrong with dads/Men coaching? Excuses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I accept your point but it seems your anger is misdirected. The rules are the team are in 3 days in advance. The manager knows the team he put in, he knows it will be shown in the programme and he still doesn't tell his players in advance. Thats entirely down to the manager. Why can the manager not tell them during the week?

As i have pointed out, i wasnt aware of the naming of the teams situation.

As i said then , they had training the night before the final and they still didnt tell the players.

I understand now it was a failure on the part of the management team.

What are you basing that on? Half arsed?

Based on what you see at your local club?

What do you know about grass roots training in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Mayo? Really....what evidence do you have for this.

From what I see, the girls get at underage absolutely equal status when it comes to resources and effort.

based on what i see.

Club and county under age.

And what i see/read about ladies at intercounty level.

Girls do not recieve equal status - 2nd choice for pitches.

Feile on yesterday , no marking on pitches for them.

Are you involved yourself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

If Dad's don't do it it wont be done. People are reluctant to take on teams now with the commitment involved so its easier if you have a parent who is willing to get involved and maybe bring in his own coach which is what I have seen in my club especially at younger age groups. Some get involved having no experience and that is fine up to U/11 or 12 but when coaching gets more serious it is different situation.

From what I have seen women are not as assertive on sidelines, the male voice maybe because of tone carries more "passion", "venom" or "fire".

Girls do not receive equal status because of how LGFA and Camogie are ran. Who can take them seriously? You give up your main pitch and they decide to move game and tell no one. Or the other organise a game to clash.

If the pitch wasnt marked that is fault of club hosting feile and is extremely bad form.

I have seen some shite at both club and county level (underage) the favours in fixtures etc. It is getting better as clubs develop the female sections and will continue to improve IF parents stay involved and get more support from other parents and basically replicate what the boys teams do. I know in my club camogie and ladies football are treated very equally and that is down to people working together.

An update:

Re fixtures clashing for dual players.

"Apologies for the delay in responding but with volunteers on holidays it has been difficult to get a Leinster LGFA meeting. However, we did have one this week and I raised your correspondence with Management.

It was agreed that the issues outlined in your correspondence is very valid and one echoed by Kilkenny LGFA delegates. This year has been a particularly difficult one for everyone and matters on the pitch haven't been helped by having to condense players seasons over such a short period. It is one that we are committed to reviewing and it was agreed that Leinster LGFA will raise your concerns with our counter parts in Kilkenny Camogie. We also would ask that a similar communication take place at county level as we feel the issue is within the county and therefore the solution remains there too.

Our games development officer is working very hard within Kilkenny and you are piloting a new LGFA coach development program which can only be beneficial to all involved but it can only be a success if all associations play their part too.

Apologies for any delay and I wish you well in the future. "

• Advertisement

LGFA again..... 😲

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://ladiesgaelic.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/LGFA-Transgender-Policy.pdf

Transgender can now play Gaelic football from the age of 12 upwards?!

One of the requirements :

"Confirmation from a General Practitioner or suitably qualified medical practitioner confirming the Applicant’s total testosterone level in serum during the previous 12 months is equal to or less than 10 nanomoles per litre (nmol/L)"

Typical total testosterone levels in children and adolescents

AgeMale (in ng/dl)7–10 years old 1.80 to 5.68 Female (in ng/dl)2.69 to 10.29

AgeMale (in ng/dl)13–17 years old208.08 to 496.58 Female (in ng/dl)16.72 to 31.55

Typical total testosterone levels in adults

Testosterone levels change throughout a person’s lifetime. Below are typical total testosterone levels in malesTrusted Source

and females.

AgeMale (in ng/dl)19 years and older265–923 Female (in ng/dl) 15–70

Seriously... WTF is going on !?!?!?

Advertisement