Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a clean break from a Webdesign Company

Options
  • 02-07-2021 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a webdesign company creating a website for my business, I paid them half of the total cost of the project, when the project started. Their work is below par and I wish to cut my losses with them and cease my working relationship with them. How should I communicate this to them? Would an email be sufficient?

I want to make clear to them that they will not be getting the remainder of the project money we agreed upon at the outset. The site is not live and there is a long snag list of items that they need to address. It is like pulling teeth getting them to do any work for me. I just want to put this bad experience behind me and find a more professional webdesign company.

If anyone could advise me on how to handle this situation, in order to make a clean break with them, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

GB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

GotBainne? wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a webdesign company creating a website for my business, I paid them half of the total cost of the project, when the project started. Their work is below par and I wish to cut my losses with them and cease my working relationship with them. How should I communicate this to them? Would an email be sufficient?

I want to make clear to them that they will not be getting the remainder of the project money we agreed upon at the outset. The site is not live and there is a long snag list of items that they need to address. It is like pulling teeth getting them to do any work for me. I just want to put this bad experience behind me and find a more professional webdesign company.

If anyone could advise me on how to handle this situation, in order to make a clean break with them, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

GB.

I’m assuming this is a small web design outfit and not an affiliate to a large marketing/advertising business.

Put it in writing that if your listed snag list is not rectified to your satisfaction by a certain date then you will consider any contract with them terminated. List their inefficiencies and the problems you have had with them.

Putting the letter on your solicitor’s letterhead may add gravitas.

They may be happy to see you gone too but putting all your grievances in writing means if they did want to come after you for the remainder of the money, they’d have an uphill struggle from the outset.

Don’t expect or accept any code from them and just start from scratch again with someone new. When looking for the next company, ask to see examples of work, similar to what you are looking for, that they have done.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GotBainne?

Thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated!!

GB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Before you go doing anything, are you the one in control of your domain name? I have seen nightmare stories where people got into disputes and weren't the ones who registered their domain name and then were stuck.

Do you have any sort of contract with them in which terms and conditions are outlined?

Assuming that you no longer want to work with them, I don't know if there is any benefit to sending a snag list and an ultimatum to have it done by a certain date as you will only have further issues down the line whenever you need edits or updates. I would just cut your losses as you said and inform them that based on the back and forth communication and the list of issues not getting resolved that you are terminating the project with them and will not require their services beyond this point and no additional payment will be made.

Advertisement