Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier F

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More peddling and refusal to answer the question.

Is the 'state' to be held to the same standard as a paramilitary force?

Yes or no will do blanch.

So far, apart from the vitriol because somebody has a different opinion, you have only managed to say they are the same.

We know all crime must be prosecuted by the way, so no need to point that out again. Just deal with the premise you are being asked about.

Francie, you put a question, you got an answer, you didn't like the answer, so you tried to peddle the lie that it was a different unrelated unconnected question, and got pedantic.

My opinion is there in black and white. No amount of scrambling to make it say something else will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Often thought about the soldiers involved over the years. How do you live with yourself knowing what you've done? I don't think I could, surely Soldier F would have been better to turn himself in after the GFA. It must have overshadowed a lot of his life, I presume he's around the 70 mark now and until last week the case was live. Earlier today posters with his identity were taken down in Derry, I'm guessing he needs to be in something like witness protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Francie, you put a question, you got an answer, you didn't like the answer, so you tried to peddle the lie that it was a different unrelated unconnected question, and got pedantic.

My opinion is there in black and white. No amount of scrambling to make it say something else will help you.

It wasn't an answer to the question I asked. You went on a rant about all crime being treated the same.
    Those who know you, know why you did that.

You didn't answer a simple question, so I'll answer it based on what you said.

Your answer is No, both are the same in practical effect. The state can operate in the same way as paramilitaries if it feels it is warranted. The precedent this sets is that the state can do the same thing again.

The difference in this case is that when caught the 'state' evaded accountability and justice and then decided that too much time had passed.

Great that you only hold them to the same account as you hold the IRA, UVF etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

It wasn't an answer to the question I asked. You went on a rant about all crime being treated the same.
    Those who know you, know why you did that.

You didn't answer a simple question, so I'll answer it based on what you said.

Your answer is No, both are the same in practical effect.
    The state can operate in the same way as paramilitaries if it feels it is warranted. The precedent this sets is that the state can do the same thing again.

The difference in this case is that when caught the 'state' evaded accountability and justice and then decided that too much time had passed.

Great that you only hold them to the same account as you hold the IRA, UVF etc.

talk about manipulation of facts :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Jesus f*cking Christ lads, have a bit of dignity and decency. The blatant Provo whataboutery is the most base level of attempting to justify what happened that day.

The wrongs of the PIRA are about as f*cking relevant as discussing the actions of Pol Pot in this thread.

The simple fact of the matter is innocent people were murdered by state forces, and that state has spent decades since covering it up and protecting the perpetrators. No amount of pointing out the wrongs committed by a different group makes that right.

You can f*ck right off with your attempts to diminish that wrongdoing, or to blacken the names of the innocent people murdered that day by proxy with your attempts to try and connect them to the PIRA.

Absolutely pathetic.

When you can't defend the indefensible and you won't respect the families, you can leave others to it or try to change the narrative to deflect from a murderous British soldier. It's shocking some choose the latter.

• Advertisement

mikethecop wrote: »
    talk about manipulation of facts :pac::pac:

What 'manipulation'?

He has stated all crimes committed should be treated equally. Therefore the logical conclusion is that he doesn't think a 'state' should be held to a higher standard.

Pretty simple. He is welcome and has been invited to clarify but refuses to address a direct question with a yes or no answer. .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

'State crime' is a much more serious crime against democracy in my opinion.

That is just your way and the SF/IRA way of saying da Brits are to blame for the Troubles.

Ridiculous IMO.

If someone is killed by a British Soldier or an IRA bomb, they are both dead.
    Many an IRA man and Loyalist who murdered scores of people are walking the streets today, sure they sing songs and cheer them on, and give them plaques too.

They even have commemorations for their deeds....
    Weird isnt it!

No, I am ranking crimes blanch.

Funny, you have posted about 100 times when SF/PIRA came under scrutiny whey they killed babies and toddlers and women, that 'It was all wrong' and moaned about how people were ranking the victims. *

Now, of course, the shoe in on the other foot and you do your usual u-turn. You will be halfway to New Zealand soon enough with all the spinning.

*Fun Fact, the PIRA killed way more Nationalists and Catholics than the British Security forces did.

markodaly wrote: »
    That is just your way and the SF/IRA way of saying da Brits are to blame for the Troubles.

Ridiculous IMO.

Many an IRA man and Loyalist who murdered scores of people are walking the streets today, sure they sing songs and cheer them on, and give them plaques too.

Weird isnt it!

That's another one who thinks the state and paramilitaries are the same and should not be held to a higher standard.

I'm beginning to see why there is little to no condemnation of state crimes in Ireland. The first point of call when asked about this is 'but the IRA/SF....'

That's another one who thinks the state and paramilitaries are the same and should not be held to a higher standard.

Are you saying that the PIRA were worse than the British Security forces?
    Quite an admission Francie.

• Advertisement

Funny, you have posted about 100 times when SF/PIRA came under scrutiny whey they killed babies and toddlers and women, that 'It was all wrong' and moaned about how people were ranking the victims. *

Now, of course, the shoe in on the other foot and you do your usual u-turn. You will be halfway to New Zealand soon enough with all the spinning.

*Fun Fact, the PIRA killed way more Nationalists and Catholics than the British Security forces did.

No again Mark, I 'moan' when people 'exploit' a subjective list of some victims.

I have never ranked victims ever. And I have also been clear, what happened on this island was all wrong from the beginning. As usual YOU and others can not call out wrongdoing without offering the 'whatabout SF/IRA'.

Don't believe me? There has been a queue of posters on this thread doing just that, most recently, your good self.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnsae2231

Ridiculous IMO.

Weird isnt it!

The PIRA had some of the biggest funerals in Irish history and indeed the world.

There are memorials to them all over Ireland and the world from the middle east to the USA, there are framed pictures of IRA members in the Dail.

The IRAs political wing is now the most popular party both North and South of the border.

Not weird at all for one of the many resistance groups in Ireland to British rule over hundreds of yeara commemorated and rightly so.

Are you saying that the PIRA were worse than the British Security forces?
    Quite an admission Francie.

I am saying that the State' being involved in the murder of civilians worse. It is murder AND a dereliction of their stated and mandated (by those who elect them) principles of democratic rule.

Do you give the Irish government the right to kill civilians if the need arises and without any delivery of justice and accountability?

I would assume your answer is an emphatic No. Could you confirm that?

The reason why there is still bitterness in the North is that the main actors do not want to come clean about the saga.
    That includes the British Government and the SF/IRA Republicans.

Start at 13:50 and you will see an honest answer from Tony Blair about this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leURXzhKIk

I would caution anyone to look a bit deeper as to why SF are very against any Truth and Reconciliation movement, despite them pretending they are for it.

I have never ranked victims ever.

Yet you are keen to rank the murderers...
    How very convenient :rolleyes:

I am saying that the State' being involved in the murder of civilians worse. It is murder AND a dereliction of their stated and mandated (by those who elect them) principles of democratic rule.

So, you admit that the PIRA was both undemocratic and had no mandate for their murderous rampage across the island. They were not held to a higher standard nor had to be accountable to anyone because they were simply terrorists?

Again, quite an admission. Again, they did kill far more terrorists and Catholics than the British Security forces.

The reason why there is still bitterness in the North is that the main actors do not want to come clean about the saga.

I would caution anyone to look a bit deeper as to why SF are very against any Truth and Reconciliation movement, despite them pretending they are for it.

Ridiculous, what exactly do the IRA have to hide? The British are the only ones who have anything to hide mainly to do with the extent of which they controlled the loyalist paramilitaries.

Ridiculous, what exactly do the IRA have to hide? The British are the only ones who have anything to hide mainly to do with the extent of which they controlled the loyalist paramilitaries.

The IRA have lots to hide, especially where they buried people, many are still unaccounted for.

Never mind how many moles they had working for the British. I would say many embarrassing details would come out if such a Truth Commission was set up.

Modern-day SF would rather bury all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Often thought about the soldiers involved over the years. How do you live with yourself knowing what you've done? I don't think I could, surely Soldier F would have been better to turn himself in after the GFA. It must have overshadowed a lot of his life, I presume he's around the 70 mark now and until last week the case was live. Earlier today posters with his identity were taken down in Derry, I'm guessing he needs to be in something like witness protection.

I imagine he is a psychopath and doesn't have any problem sleeping at night. The reports of his conduct after his involvement indicate this. The photos of him in the immediate aftermath of bloody Sunday doesn't show someone weighted down with any guilt.

So, you admit that the PIRA was both undemocratic and had no mandate for their murderous rampage across the island. They were not held to a higher standard nor had to be accountable to anyone because they were simply terrorists?

Again, quite an admission. Again, they did kill far more terrorists and Catholics than the British Security forces.

What convinced you a paramilitary group was 'democratic'? I CERTAINLY never claimed it and always asked you and others to show me paramilitaries and revolutionaries who 'sought a mandate'. Their mandate could only ever be guessed at.

If they were democratic they would not have been paramilitaries.

Democracy did not exist either here under British rule nor in the sectarian bigoted statlet they allowed fester until it went up in flames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Those involved were known and should have been brought to justice a long time ago and not by the British.

Where does your bitterness stem from? Why can't you respect the families of Soldier F's victims rather than trying to make it about parties or organisations you don't like? There is a SF thread. Have some respect.

The IRA have lots to hide, especially where they buried people, many are still unaccounted for.

Never mind how many moles they had working for the British. I would say many embarrassing details would come out if such a Truth Commission was set up.

Modern-day SF would rather bury all this.

You are absolutely clueless, why on earth would Sinn Fein\IRA want to hide where they buried them people? What benefit would hiding them do? Why are Sinn Fein the only ones who are relentlessy calling for the truth and reconciliation if they are the ones who have so much to hide?

You are literally the most clear case of believing what you want to believe and ignoring everything to the contrary I have ever seen, you want to blame SF for everything and no one is going to convince you otherwise.

Cazale wrote: »
    Those involved were known and should have been brought to justice a long time ago and not by the British.

Justice was served on the 27th of August 1979.

Cazale wrote: »

We have had many cases where the British would use terrorist groups to carry out murders.
    I would prefer if FF/FG/Green spoke firmly on Soldier F the next time they speak to Johnson. The victims and their families are not part and parcel of any tit for tat agreements.
    If a British soldier murdered people in the East End of London he'd be locked up within hours.
    It seems the 'British' in Northern Ireland are not as 'British' as those on their mainland.

Shebean wrote: »
    We have had many cases where the British would use terrorist groups to carry out murders.
    I would prefer if FF/FG/Green spoke firmly on Soldier F the next time they speak to Johnston. The victims and their families are not part and parcel of any tit for tat agreements.

Unlikely when they won't even pressure for release of the files held by the British on the bombing of their own capital city and the towns of Monaghan and Belturbet.

This thread serves a useful purpose in understanding why this is. two of the posters here are, to put it mildly, ardent supporters of the power swap parties and probably reflect the FG FF view - the British state were only expected to behave to the same standards as paramilitaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

markodaly wrote:
    Yet you are keen to rank the murderers... How very convenient

Victims have no rank but murderers (and who those murderers represent) absolutely do.

Terror groups killing people is completely different to an elected government murdering its own innocent citizens with impunity.

Paramilitaries don't have any responsibility to protect the citizens of Northern Ireland. How do you not see this?

Unlikely when they won't even pressure for release of the files held by the British on the bombing of their own capital city and the towns of Monaghan and Belturbet.

This thread serves a useful purpose in understanding why this is. two of the posters here are, to put it mildly, ardent supporters of the power swap parties and probably reflect the FG FF view - the British state were only expected to behave to the same standards as paramilitaries.

Any real cross party progress toward justice and reconciliation or a UI for that matter is far less important than polls. Teaming up with SF in any regard or sharing their views is seen as politically precarious. Ministerial pensions are more important than the victims of British murder.
    As you rightly point out, they won't even allow a discussion on British Soldier F murdering innocent British citizens.

The PIRA had some of the biggest funerals in Irish history and indeed the world.

There are memorials to them all over Ireland and the world from the middle east to the USA, there are framed pictures of IRA members in the Dail.

The IRAs political wing is now the most popular party both North and South of the border.

Not weird at all for one of the many resistance groups in Ireland to British rule over hundreds of yeara commemorated and rightly so.

are you confusing the IRA and SF from the 20s with what exists today ?

not the same thing at all. not even close

• Advertisement

still missing quite a few bodies actually ......

lot of unprosecuted war cries on both sides too

Advertisement