Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehoming my dogs

• 02-07-2021 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on rehoming my 2 miniature dachshunds. This is not a decision I am taking lightly. I am renting, my current lease will be ending at the beginning of October and, despite looking since March of this year, I cannot find anywhere to live that will accept pets.

Please don't attack or abuse me about this. I understand that there are many people who will say "I could never!". However, I have already been looking for somewhere to live for 4 months and have not even been able to view one property.
    I have an excellent reference from my current landlord and have offered to pay a double deposit and I still can't find anywhere to live.

I am living and working in Waterford but am looking everywhere, no exaggeration, I'm looking in Waterford, Wexford, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Carlow and East Cork. I do not care where I am living, I literally have zero preconditions, as long as I can live with my dogs.

I am now having to face the reality that I may have to re-home my dogs. I am on a very low salary, my current rent is over half my monthly pay so there is absolutely no way I could afford to kennel my dogs even for a short period of time.

The only family I have is my sister and she lives in a one bedroom apartment in Dublin with her girlfriend and her 2 cats. I have no other family and I have no friends who could take in my dogs.

So, I am looking for advice on rehoming my dogs. Would I be best to try to re-home them myself via social media? Or, would I be better to involve a rescue, who would likely have far more contacts than myself?

The reason why I am looking into this now is because, my worry is, if I wait until my lease is up in October and I end up in an emergency sort of situation, would I end up having to hand them into the pound or something?

Again, please don't attack me, this is not a decision that I'm making lightly and my heart is already broken even at the thought of it. I love my dogs but the alternative is homelessness, which wouldn't be very kind to them either.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on rehoming my 2 miniature dachshunds. This is not a decision I am taking lightly. I am renting, my current lease will be ending at the beginning of October and, despite looking since March of this year, I cannot find anywhere to live that will accept pets.

Please don't attack or abuse me about this. I understand that there are many people who will say "I could never!". However, I have already been looking for somewhere to live for 4 months and have not even been able to view one property.
    I have an excellent reference from my current landlord and have offered to pay a double deposit and I still can't find anywhere to live.

I am living and working in Waterford but am looking everywhere, no exaggeration, I'm looking in Waterford, Wexford, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Carlow and East Cork. I do not care where I am living, I literally have zero preconditions, as long as I can live with my dogs.

I am now having to face the reality that I may have to re-home my dogs. I am on a very low salary, my current rent is over half my monthly pay so there is absolutely no way I could afford to kennel my dogs even for a short period of time.

The only family I have is my sister and she lives in a one bedroom apartment in Dublin with her girlfriend and her 2 cats. I have no other family and I have no friends who could take in my dogs.

So, I am looking for advice on rehoming my dogs. Would I be best to try to re-home them myself via social media? Or, would I be better to involve a rescue, who would likely have far more contacts than myself?

The reason why I am looking into this now is because, my worry is, if I wait until my lease is up in October and I end up in an emergency sort of situation, would I end up having to hand them into the pound or something?

Again, please don't attack me, this is not a decision that I'm making lightly and my heart is already broken even at the thought of it. I love my dogs but the alternative is homelessness, which wouldn't be very kind to them either.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Have you contacted your local animal rescues and ask them for assistance to rehome them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Many people in your position wouldn't mention the dogs to potential landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I went on local buy and sell Facebook pages and outlined my circumstances. I don’t drink or smoke or have kids which also helped but 4 or 5 people who didn’t mind a dog contacted me. I am now living in an old farmhouse with no double glazing. I will have to wait and see how much oil I burn through in the winter months but the rent is reasonable because of this and she doesn’t mind the dog. So far so good anyway.

If you really are stuck definitely go through a good rescue where potential homes will be thoroughly vetted. There is a massive shortage of rescue dogs at the minute so there should be little trouble finding a rescue space for them. Best of luck whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

I'm so sorry to hear about your predicament.

Could you reach out to some trustworthy mutual friends and colleagues for any suggestions?

They might know of a really good person who's looking for new furry additions.

Don't go the social media or pet pages/adverts because you just don't know where they'll end up. At least if someone is recommended personally you'll know more than likely they are genuine.

I hope you find somewhere to live and a new home for your doggos.

Sorry just to clarify, I meant I went on buy and sell pages to find a property to live in, not to rehome my dog. Never rehome a pet via social media!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

dachshunds, what are their temperaments like?
    Maybe someone could take them for a while and get them back to you when possible? rather than giving them up completely.
    Or maybe it has to be permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did you get them from a breeder? If so you should contact them, if reputable you will have signed a contract that they have to be returned if your circumstances change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did you get them from a breeder? If so you should contact them, if reputable you will have signed a contract that they have to be returned if your circumstances change.

What is this contract you speak of? I have bought a couple of pups from reputable breeders but never heard of such a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Car99 wrote: »
    What is this contract you speak of? I have bought a couple of pups from reputable breeders but never heard of such a contract.

Maybe my definition of reputable breeders is different to yours. Did they come with any breeding restrictions?

Car99 wrote: »

A sales contract is standard when buying a pup, all breed clubs recommend if not insist their members use them. No contract = not reputable, you shouldn’t buy a pup without one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ah sorry to hear this OP. We were in a similar position a while ago. At one stage I remember looking at Daft and when I filtered pets allowed and all of Ireland there were only about 100 properties :( in the end we've had to stay in a toxic living situation with family until we get sorted. I'd echo what other posters have mentioned about the seller taking them back, I'd forgotten that this is included (or should be).

Have you considered trying to have them fostered? There's a great foster network in Ireland and maybe if you contacted someone within that? I know it's usually foster with a view to rehoming but they might consider it?

Hope you get sorted, not an easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Hi all

I understand your predicament. When I moved to Dublin, most of the places I found for rent didn't allow dogs. In the end I had to pay 30% more for a place that was available and said ok. The steep living costs led us to move west after one year. Does your job allow you to move elsewhere in Ireland?

I might be interested in hosting your 2 dogs until you find a place to live. We have a 9-yr old miniature Dachshund and have had other dogs before.

How old are your mini? Do they like young children? Are they good with visitors?

Also check the Dachshunds in Dublin or Ireland group pages on Facebook as there might be people looking for minis there. You might not be able to keep them together but maybe you can keep them nearby so you can visit on occasion.

Is there a possibility someone through boards might be interested, Id be tempted to offer to mind them, I dont know how they would get on with my dog, although she is placid, so Id be more concerned about that. It sounds like there may be a more formal established fostering network? October is a long way off so something might work out in the interim. Is it possible to foster them and take them back or if that is started is it just a process of them being re-homed.

Hi, I might be able to help. I'll let the thread carry on and hopefully you might get some alternatives but I just said I'd put my hand up and let you know that if there is no other options available to you I can help out while you look for something more permanent. I may also be travelling later this year so I might be needing a house sitter. (I had a small dog until recently so my home is dog proofed and has a garden with lots of dog friendly things to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the replies, I really appreciate the help. I'll try to reply to all the questions.

Someone mentioned "just don't mention you have dogs" but, then, if a landlord was to find out, I'd be out on my ear on the side of the road and in an even worse predicament.

I don't have any family other than my sister, who lives in a one bedroom apartment in Dublin with her girlfriend and 2 cats. I don't have any friends who could take the dogs, even on a short term basis.

Thanks for the advice not to use social media.

The dogs didn't come from a breeder.

A couple of people mentioned fostering. I would have always thought that fostering preceded rehoming and that fostering is not a short term option. I'd also imagine fostering would cost a set amount per day/week/month and, wouldn't be free.
    When I'm speaking to the local rescue groups, I'll see if they have any contacts who foster and in what circumstances will they foster.

My dogs are 7 years old, neutered and brothers from the same litter. They do not like children. They're okay with visitors once they get to know them. They're not great with other dogs. They're walked twice a day. They're fed the best food. They're the only thing that has gotten me through the last 18 months of covid as I live on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you find somewhere on daft that might be suitable eg hard floors and good garden would you consider viewing it anyway and then discuss with landlord. A lot of ads say no pets because they don’t want place over run with animals but if they are mature and you’re prepared to look after the place they might not mind. We are bringing our dog to two no pets Airbnb’s this summer after checking with owners if it would be ok.

Hi, just said I'd leave you some details in the event that you can't find accommodation by October. I figure it's safer to communicate openly on the forum but you can dm me if you wish. I'm female and live in Waterford in a small two bed near the city. Until recently I had small dog who was my reason for going even on the bad days. I know it would be difficult to be separated from your animals so I'm happy to help while you look for alternatives. (I'm sure something can be found)

I'm planning on travelling between late August and early October, Covid permitting but that's currently the plan. I'd be happy to have you both stay during that time and there is a spare room so you would have your own space. I'd have no issues letting the room to you on a more permanent basis so you can stay with your dogs but as I rent myself I'd have to just let you stay as a guest for the duration at least (so I wouldn't be profiteering by charging rent).

I don't know if it would work for you but at least it might give you options while you seek something more preferable. With any luck something might turn up in the meantime. (I'm not a regular boards user but I think I'll be alerted if I get a dm) All the best.

fits wrote: »
    If you find somewhere on daft that might be suitable eg hard floors and good garden would you consider viewing it anyway and then discuss with landlord. A lot of ads say no pets because they don’t want place over run with animals but if they are mature and you’re prepared to look after the place they might not mind.

That's a good point. The place I'm staying had very strict rules on pets, dogs outside only, pick up poo every day, etc. In reality, the owners are very relaxed and don't care about all these details. I think the agent went overboard with the restrictions on the ad.

Obviously my dog is inside all the time!

Too bad your mini's don't like kids! I had convinced my wife already...

3 minis at our house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What an awful situation to be in but it's nice to see a poster here who might be able to help in August. Well done!

I remember how hard we found it 11 years ago trying to rent a place with our house trained springer. Impossible.

I eventually flipped it with an estate agent, saying that a well trained dog would do far less damage than a couple of kids. Now that I have kids and the same great dog I can verify that the kids do way more damage!

I'd think that (like us back then) you would have more luck with a place out the country.

Best of luck with your hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

rehome wrote: »
    Hi, just said I'd leave you some details in the event that you can't find accommodation by October. I figure it's safer to communicate openly on the forum but you can dm me if you wish. I'm female and live in Waterford in a small two bed near the city. Until recently I had small dog who was my reason for going even on the bad days. I know it would be difficult to be separated from your animals so I'm happy to help while you look for alternatives. (I'm sure something can be found)

I'm planning on travelling between late August and early October, Covid permitting but that's currently the plan. I'd be happy to have you both stay during that time and there is a spare room so you would have your own space. I'd have no issues letting the room to you on a more permanent basis so you can stay with your dogs but as I rent myself I'd have to just let you stay as a guest for the duration at least (so I wouldn't be profiteering by charging rent).

I don't know if it would work for you but at least it might give you options while you seek something more preferable. With any luck something might turn up in the meantime. (I'm not a regular boards user but I think I'll be alerted if I get a dm) All the best.

I'm going to cry:(

I moved out of a houseshare last year and the other person said from the start I was to bring the dog. 6 weeks of searching and I got nowhere. With 2 days left I took a notion to get a local paper and there were 2 ads for houses to rent in it. 1 was a large 4 bedroom and the other was a tiny 3-bedroom which I'm in now.
    Obviously I would never, ever suggest being complicit in doing anything that wasn't completely legal but off daft and so on there are houses to rent where it may be somewhat questionable if the landlords are fully tax-compliant. Landlords such as these may also be used to having bad tenants, from what I can gather from neighbours there were 3 tenants in less than a year before me. When I mentioned the dog to the landlord he just said "it's none of my business". I think once rent had been paid on time for a few months without hassle he was pretty relieved and has been responsive on minor things around the house and I'm happy to pay rent in cash.

There are other grey-market housing options. There are a lot of old council houses that are subletted with not much said etc. and it would be well worth checking out local lost/found dog pages, rescue pages etc. and maybe messaging an admin to ask if it's OK to put up a post outlining your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

Have you looked at houseshares? I've viewed quite a few places over the years that already had a dog and were open to more.

Not entirely helpful but does hold a torch to our disfunctional rental set up in this country, people might not think it, but it intrudes on peoples quality of life, and I place the fault squarely with the State and the Govts of the day varying between no touch, light touch and excessive knee jerk over-reaction.

I'm sympathetic to the OPs situation they find themself in on the one hand, and on the other for landlords, who's hands are tied imo, if they allow someone in with a dog and there is damage (thats what they will be thinking), they then have to deal with that, and if the tenant doesn't restore the place (it can be difficult to deal with problems at the best of times), then the landlord might have to resolve it themselves at their own cost. I'm not saying the OP wouldn't fix problems or that it would even occur, but for every person that would be good about it, there is as likely to be one who wouldn't.
    It will likely be seen for what it costs, ie a cost out of their pocket to fix, even claiming back against tax, doesn't restore the full amount.

imo the dysfunctional rental (and housing) market affects peoples quality of life in many ways.
    Should be allowed have blank slate houses that come with nothing, (but the legislation prevents it) maybe a fitted kitchen, someone even mentioned somewhere properties in some countries allow you to put in your own flooring, I'm sure I read somewhere that some either allowed or it was necessary for you to fit your own kitchen.

Anyway, it sounds like there are a few offers to help the OP and it seems like there is some time to deal with this, I'll still throw my hat into the ring still, but in Dublin area and would want my dog to meet to see how they got along.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Have you got sorted yet if not i would give your 2 dogs a good home for you i live on a farm in the west loads of space and fun. My mother bred daschunds in the 70's so i understand the breed very well. I odnt have kids and would foster them.

I’m not making any insinuations here but I’m going to state a bunch of facts.

A bit before I started modding here there was a user called mary123. mary123 rarely posted on thread but contacted people by pm. She collected a number of dogs put up for rehoming in this forum, took them and sold them on advert sites for a tidy profit. mary123 was in the west of the country.

I can see how someone like that might take advantage of the current prices dogs are going for combined with the disarray this site currently finds itself in.

Tread carefully OP, … just saying like.

Hi I offered to foster for her till she gets on her feet i dont want to own her dogs but i am familiar with the breed. I am not in need of money from dogs and abhor the selling of dogs for inflated prices i own only rescues so cherry blossom please be a little less dis trustful just because i am relatively new. I too, had many issues renting with my beloved dogs and often lived in shitholes in order to have them and was cold in the winters myself to accomodate having my dogs. Not everyone is a vicious exploitative c u next thursday.

I am called mary 2021 not mary 123. Mary is my dogs name and 2021 is the year we are in . I still leave my offer as i own my own farm now and have space & time its up to the girl who is having issues to reach out should she wish too. but I didnt find your judgemental attitude as a moderator very helpful. You can PM me if you need to see my garda references as i work with therapy dogs and am garda vetted not a knacker or a criminal or a dog thief just a dog lover seeing someone in distress and i to was there once & its not very nice.

Mary 2021 I appreciate that you feel aggrieved but try to see it from my point of view. As a moderator I have a duty to protect users of this forum from spammers and scammers. I am always wary of new posters making offers to rehome dogs. New posters have no history here so it is incredibly hard to judge if one is genuine or not, if they are are a rereg of a banned poster or just someone chancing their arm. I feel I am within my rights to warn posters to be cautious of all offers of help in situations like this. All I did was share what I know. I clearly stated I wasn’t making any insinuations. The site is in a bit of upheaval at the minute and I felt posting what I did on thread the best way of dealing with this issue at this time.

Boards is supposed to be an anonymous site. We don’t check references here or ask for Garda vetting. I just urge the OP to thoroughly investigate any offers of help themselves.

Please do not use the ‘k’ word in your posts here. It is discriminatory and offensive.

Thanks.

My apologies for using the k word but we all know they are the ones stealing and peddling the dogs in a supply chain of starvation cruelty abuse & misery. i wont use the word but we all know whats going on in the world. If you are involved in rescues you see it first hand they exist & while they are ethnically protected by Enda kenny's parting shot to the irish people (a gesture of contempt IMO ) well all know the vicious cruelty in ireland today starts there......

Thanks for you other few words of explanation. I will however continue to offer my help to any genuine animal lover in need as we do need to support each other in our efforts to be kind to all creatures. Have a good day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That’s so weird, I was only thinking of her the other day. She was in Portarlington at that time as I recall.

Advertisement