Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swollen iPhone X battery

Options
  • 02-07-2021 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for a little advice. My iPhone X battery has swollen to the point that the screen is lifting away from the body. I booked an appointment with Compub but after inspecting the phone they told me they cannot repair in store as it is a fire hazard and it has to go back to apple, understandable

On to apple chat for one of the most frustrating back and forths for almost 2 hours they insist that they cannot take an iPhone with a swollen battery and it has to go to the store for repair. I had to eventually walk away from the conversation before I blew a fuse but has anyone experienced this or know where I can get a swollen iPhone battery replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I had the battery in an iPhone X replaced earlier in the year for €75. Got them to send me a returns box, sent it off (to the Netherlands) and had it back to me a week later. I did have trouble getting to the returns box stage though, as they kept trying to send me to some place in Henry Street (and of course Belfast).
    You could try and download the Apple support app on your phone, and see if the option to return is there. I thought I was able to do it through the website eventually though if I'm honest (sorry I can't remember more clearly)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Problem is that there’s no courier going to accept a damaged Li-ion battery, as they’re a potential fire hazard.

Here’s what parceldirect.ie have to say on the matter

“If the battery is faulty or damaged it cannot be sent. Damaged batteries are more unstable and it could result in the battery overheating and exploding. Sending a faulty battery is illegal and can result in a serious fine.”

https://www.parceldirect.ie/blog/shipping-advice-lithium-batteries/

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Try fonfix, I've no connection but they did a good job on an android battery replacement for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Thanks for all the help, I’ve had apple on the phone saying I cannot ship it back to them so they advised me to visit a different service centre and were surprised CompuB wouldn’t touch it. They told me to bring it to a different authorised apple device centre and let them know if they refuse to do it too. If all else fails il try fonfix. The phone still works a dream but I’m obviously worried when the whole left side of the screen has lifted from the body. Restored it to factory settings when I thought it was going in for repair. Currently using my girlfriends old galaxy s7 and can’t cope with Android :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I had the exact same issue and the exact same hassle from Compub and Apple. My phone was out of warranty so I ended up just using Express Tech on Baggott Street for a battery replacement. Had it back in a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement