Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 8 Oyonnax - Le Grand Bornand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Phenomenal ride from Pogacar.
    Well done Theuns to win the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

The People: " We don't want Ineos domination of the Tour"

Pogacar excels

The People: "That's not what we meant"

I for one am happy to see Ineos relegated to an also-ran. I might stop watching the Grand Tours if they poach Pogacar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

RobertKK wrote: »
    That water bottle before the end could have been a disaster.

It was like a horror film just slowly rolling across. I literally screamed at the TV for Teuns to get out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Carapaz caught at the end again for the 2nd day in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

**** it I’m just going to take it at face value and believe we may have just seen the greatest individual performance on a bike of all time.

Certain vibes of Lance spinning up the Alp d’Huez though

• Advertisement

Carapaz caught and got nothing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I'll take Pogacar any day over the robotic Sky and Ineos train before their great eternal leader washing machines his way up a climb like Bambi on ice. Those were miserable years.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

happytramp wrote: »
    Shame on anyone doubting the credibility of this ride... I’m sorry for you. I’m sorry you can’t dream big and I’m sorry you don’t believe in miracles.

Yeah! And I was on my bike, busting my ass for 6 hours today!

I’m fairly sure Pog is legit

Now the performances of Bahrain in the last 2 months or so, that I’d have questions about

Ah Teuns talking about his granddad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Dodge wrote: »

Now the performances of Bahrain in the last 2 months or so, that I’d have questions about

How anyone who's followed cycling for any length of time could say that about anyone is beyond me... I mean, I could really want someone to be legit, I could even think someone is legit... but to be sure of it? No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Last year Pod had a couple of great days followed by days in which is seemed to struggle...if pod rides the same tomorrow as he did today...there will be questions from all quarters

happytramp wrote: »
    How anyone who's followed cycling for any length of time could say that about anyone is beyond me... I mean, I could really want someone to be legit, I could even think someone is legit... but to be sure of it? No way.

You can feel however you want but Pogacar (and Bernal before him, and the young Spanish lad UAE have just signed) have been signposted for years as a junior. They’ve been marked as special as soon as they got on a bike

They might not be legit but I’d believe them over most

Cycling fans are naturally cynical (through experience) but there’s no point in watching if you’re going to doubt everything good that happens IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gruppetto makes the time limit by about 2 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just to remind people. If you're going to insinuate any sort of doping/cheating without anything to back it up beyond feelings and history you'll be warned/carded or taking a break from the forum.

This is not because we're not aware of the various scepticism and cynicism that comes with following the sport, but it's, until shown otherwise, simply defamatory and it's beyond our control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

**** it I’m just going to take it at face value and believe we may have just seen the greatest individual performance on a bike of all time.

Certain vibes of Lance spinning up the Alp d’Huez though

Floyd Landis stage 17 in 2006 doped up or not was the greatest demolition job I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Last year Pod had a couple of great days followed by days in which is seemed to struggle...if pod rides the same tomorrow as he did today...there will be questions from all quarters

Don't remember those days where he struggled.

Hopefully Roglic is back with form next year and Bernal with a better back. We will then be better able to judge how good Pog is. And Remco, of course.

Ineos, except for Bernal, just aren't close to being good enough. Their domestiques aren't even as good as they used to be. What can they do with all their money? There is no young star that they can buy. I see a future for them as a better version of Movistar.

gruppetto makes the time limit by about 2 minutes

Froome rolling in with the sprinters. Has to be there purely because of contract terms but is robbing someone who could actually contribute of a place at the tour.

Road captain my backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Olliebond

Amazing how the oil money has taken over the TDF lately, not sure it is a good thing, bit like football, those with the most cash will win all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Olliebond wrote: »
    Amazing how the oil money has taken over the TDF lately, not sure it is a good thing, bit like football, those with the most cash will win all.

To be fair, this has always been the case. Much of the recent inflation has been driven by rider salaries which is no bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭griffin100

Seeing a GC rider putting that sort of time into rivals on what should have been a relatively ‘easy’ mountain stage doesn’t look good so a healthy scepticism is warranted IMO. We’ll know more I’m sure when we hit the high mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

griffin100 wrote: »
    Seeing a GC rider putting that sort of time into rivals on what should have been a relatively ‘easy’ mountain stage doesn’t look good so a healthy scepticism is warranted IMO. We’ll know more I’m sure when we hit the high mountains.

it's a pretty week field now considering the team leaders that were injured or out after the first few stages. and to be honest some those weren't showing the form you would hope rolling in to the tour.

happens every few years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Mark Cavendish is 4 minutes ahead of Chris Froome on G.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Don't remember those days where he struggled.

Hopefully Roglic is back with form next year and Bernal with a better back. We will then be better able to judge how good Pog is. And Remco, of course.

Ineos, except for Bernal, just aren't close to being good enough. Their domestiques aren't even as good as they used to be. What can they do with all their money? There is no young star that they can buy. I see a future for them as a better version of Movistar.

Stage with a gravel finish, Rog ghosted past him and I believe put 30seconds into pod, after jumbo visma bossed the majority of the stage, probably stage 17-18?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Now we see why Ineos sent the better squad to the Giro. I’d say they were fairly sure they wouldn’t be able to compete for the win with UAE & TJV who have had awful luck so far with all bar two riders looking spent for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't say with any certainty any professional sports person is "legit".

But then to question the Bahrain performances? All individually stand up as much as today for me, by the same logic of the riders palmares, history, initial expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

y u no trust Team Lampre? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What was Dan Lloyd thinking comparing his pedigree to that of Lance Armstrong!!:rolleyes:

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Stage with a gravel finish, Rog ghosted past him and I believe put 30seconds into pod, after jumbo visma bossed the majority of the stage, probably stage 17-18?

Roglic is the only one who can touch him and he’s not in it this year because of the injury. The most Roglic was ahead of Pogacar last year on any hilly stage was 15s. Wouldn’t call that struggling

As others have said for a variety of reasons, some that could possible challenge Pog this year are either not in the race or injured. That’s going to contribute to his winning distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Panrich wrote: »
    Floyd Landis stage 17 in 2006 doped up or not was the greatest demolition job I can remember.

Pantani on Oropa was something to behold. Froome on Finestere was outrageous too

Advertisement