Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 8 Oyonnax - Le Grand Bornand

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Mark Cavendish is 4 minutes ahead of Chris Froome on G.C.
    Yeah, Froome has only gone backwards as this season (and last) has progressed. Obviously, his injuries from the crash in 2019 were horrific, but he's not being real to himself if he thinks he can return to anything like his previous level.

He's been in quite a hurry to get a lot of endorsements on side lately, so he may have an eye on calling it quits before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lumen wrote: »
    y u no trust Team Lampre? :D
    Both them and uae have roots in Lampre.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Dodge wrote: »
    Roglic is the only one who can touch him and he’s not in it this year because of the injury. The most Roglic was ahead of Pogacar last year on any hilly stage was 15s. Wouldn’t call that struggling

As others have said for a variety of reasons, some that could possible challenge Pog this year are either not in the race or injured. That’s going to contribute to his winning distance

Even a fully fit Roglic wouldn't have had a hope today. Pog smashed the rest of the field and didn't even look that tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Over before the first rest day . Pity but that’s brilliance for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Pog keeps this up, he'll end up lapping some of the field on the double Ventoux stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dr. Bre wrote: »

At least for now he is still a novelty and not just spending the whole tour watching the chosen Ineos man

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

happytramp wrote: »
    How anyone who's followed cycling for any length of time could say that about anyone is beyond me... I mean, I could really want someone to be legit, I could even think someone is legit... but to be sure of it? No way.

I’m sure of it. He’s been doing that since he was a chisler.

He’s been a phenomenon since an early age, no sudden improvement.

Let’s also temper the hype here. His 2 biggest pre race rivals were 20 min down because they were injured the in first week. Who did he really beat yesterday that you wouldn’t expect him to beat? I like Carapaz, but he’s not in the same league as Pogacar, Roglic and Thomas.

Could he have done that to fit Bernal? No chance. I want a fit and well Bernal versus a peak Pogacar in the tour next year. I still think Pogacar would win, but they’ll be close.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Last year Pod had a couple of great days followed by days in which is seemed to struggle...if pod rides the same tomorrow as he did today...there will be questions from all quarters

What days did he struggle? He lost time when he missed a split in the first week. He beat Roglic or finished with him on every mountain stage. He was sensational last year.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The yearly expectation of a close fight on GC is a very close match to your regular Irish person's expectation of a dry warm summer; way more often than not it's a damp squib

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I see Rog has abandoned according to cyclingnews

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I see Rog has abandoned according to cyclingnews

I have huge respect for him that he finished yesterday. That was a more impressive feat than Pogacar in many ways.

I hope he goes home, heals up and goes head to head with Bernal at the Vuelta.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Makes his showing in the TT even more impressive, 7th on the day in the shape he was in.
    Surely Thomas will pack it in now as well?

Vuelta is Yates's turn for Ineos, maybe with Bernal/Thomas as Plan B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Matthew gone as well

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Brian? wrote: »
    I have huge respect for him that he finished yesterday. That was a more impressive feat than Pogacar in many ways.

I hope he goes home, heals up and goes head to head with Bernal at the Vuelta.

Any chance of Pogacar racing the Vuelta?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Olliebond

Bloody eck tough one today, good job they got a rest day.

Raymzor wrote: »

Doubt it

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Is there an overall combatative award? Wouldn't Rog be a shoe in for continuing after the crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dodge wrote:
    Now the performances of Bahrain in the last 2 months or so, that I’d have questions about
    Yesterdays stage to Tignes was the first time I've really raised an eyebrow from a Bahrain performance tbh.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Both them and uae have roots in Lampre.
    I'd forgotten that Gianetti was Saunier Duval! Team Management of contradictions with the medical side a history of anti-doping, the sports side dodgy as f*ck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Raymzor wrote: »

He is on the startlist - https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/vuelta-a-espana/2021/gc/startlist = of course that could change but you wouldn't put it past him wanting to add that notch to his belt. Roglic would be delighted to see him there but I would enjoy a Bernal (also currently listed) vs Pogacar scenario ahead of next season.

Advertisement