Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra Crash

Options
  • 03-07-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys,

I was involved in a collision this morning on the bridge by the canal at Drumcondra, as you pass the Red Parrott pub and head out of town, at around 10.40. A silver car, I think it was either a Volkswagen Golf or Polo, swung across two lanes trying to do a u-turn and smashed into me. They then proceeded to leave the scene, illegally turning right onto Whitworth Place in the process.

I was just wondering if anybody by any chance was in the area at the time, and might have some dashcam footage they could give me? A long shot I know, but you never know.

Thanks!

Comments

Hope you're ok. That area is heavily covered by CCTV. You might get some luck going from business to business telling the manager what happened and asking to see the CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dashcamplz

whatnow! wrote: »
    Hope you're ok. That area is heavily covered by CCTV. You might get some luck going from business to business telling the manager what happened and asking to see the CCTV.

Thanks, I'm fine but the car is pretty smashed up. That's a good idea, I'll try doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

dashcamplz wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was involved in a collision this morning on the bridge by the canal at Drumcondra, as you pass the Red Parrott pub and head out of town, at around 10.40. A silver car, I think it was either a Volkswagen Golf or Polo, swung across two lanes trying to do a u-turn and smashed into me. They then proceeded to leave the scene, illegally turning right onto Whitworth Place in the process.

I was just wondering if anybody by any chance was in the area at the time, and might have some dashcam footage they could give me? A long shot I know, but you never know.

Thanks!

Nasty. Hope you're OK?! Are you getting the time and location mixed up by any chance?! We were strolling the canal at 11:40 and heard a motorcyclist knocked off his bike outside the Crossguns pub....

raheny red wrote: »
    Nasty. Hope you're OK?! Are you getting the time and location mixed up by any chance?! We were strolling the canal at 11:40 and heard a motorcyclist knocked off his bike outside the Crossguns pub....

Yeah, I'm alright. No actually, just a coincidence! I was down at the other end, and about an hour ealier.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

• Advertisement

James 007 wrote: »

Camera at that junction surely:rolleyes:

Yeah hopefully. Any in particular that you're aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Is that not a camera on top of the galvanised pole in the link I sent you:rolleyes:

James 007 wrote: »
    Is that not a camera on top of the galvanised pole in the link I sent you:rolleyes:

Could be yeah, cheers. Will give DCC a ring about it.

Any particular reason for all the eyerolling? You could have just said about it in the first place instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The Guards might need to request the footage? Did you go to them? They would/should be interested in a hit and run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Hey guys,

Thanks!

If you happened to notice any busses passing you could ask the Gards to ask Dublin bus for the CCTV footage from any passing busses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Could be yeah, cheers. Will give DCC a ring about it.

Sorry to hear about this OP - mind yourself - you might find your running on adrenalin that is masking a muscle/ ligament or disc injury.

I’d +1 for going and having a look for cctv. You can be sure the gaurds won’t do it. Lots of businesses and apartments have doorbell cameras now - you’d be surprised what they pick up - even if you emptied your phone and went asking people might let you video their footage from your phone as you wait.watch. I had someone knock on my door
    the other day & wanted to see what had been going on outside their door. I’ve done the same myself for various things - people are always very helpful when its a direct human they can relate too and you can get it done and out of the way quickly before they think too much about it.

Wheety wrote: »
    The Guards might need to request the footage? Did you go to them? They would/should be interested in a hit and run.

Yep reported to them. I've been given a Pulse number but seemingly it hasn't been assigned to an officer yet so haven't heard anything since.

Ideo wrote: »
    If you happened to notice any busses passing you could ask the Gards to ask Dublin bus for the CCTV footage from any passing busses

That's a good idea actually, cheers.

Sorry to hear about this OP - mind yourself - you might find your running on adrenalin that is masking a muscle/ ligament or disc injury.

I’d +1 for going and having a look for cctv. You can be sure the gaurds won’t do it. Lots of businesses and apartments have doorbell cameras now - you’d be surprised what they pick up - even if you emptied your phone and went asking people might let you video their footage from your phone as you wait.watch. I had someone knock on my door
    the other day & wanted to see what had been going on outside their door. I’ve done the same myself for various things - people are always very helpful when its a direct human they can relate too and you can get it done and out of the way quickly before they think too much about it.

Thanks man. I'm a bit shook alright it was pretty shocking. I will indeed try to get some details from the cameras in the area, hopefully I can get the guy's licence place at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Yep reported to them. I've been given a Pulse number but seemingly it hasn't been assigned to an officer yet so haven't heard anything since.

What about dash cam footage from other vehicles.

Ask the Guards to make an appeal , especially as it was a hit and run job.

Did you get even a partial reg number from the car that hit you?

Just looking at the map, if the direction of travel was down Whitworth Place, then he was bound to head down Russell Avenue onto Jones Road.(Croke Park)

At that junction there is a Dome CCTV camera facing Russell Avenue, its belonged to Croke Park.

Ask the Guards or ring Croke Park security directly, try and find out the camera number.

kravmaga wrote: »
    What about dash cam footage from other vehicles.

Ask the Guards to make an appeal , especially as it was a hit and run job.

Did you get even a partial reg number from the car that hit you?

I didn't, unfortunately. But I will ask the Garda that when I'm speaking to them, tomorrow I hope. I'd have thought that one of the other cars nearby would have had dashcam, but they actually didn't even stop so I've no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I just edited my last, try and work out all options on direction of travel, with a little bit of detective work you may even get a partial reg.

Cant believe no one stopped, especially as it was a hit and run.

I just edited my last, try and work out all options on direction of travel, with a little bit of detective work you may even get a partial reg.

Cant believe no one stopped, especially as it was a hit and run.

Thanks for that, that actually is really good advice! I'll be sure to ask them to check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Ask the Guards to make an appeal , especially as it was a hit and run job....
    The Gardai won't make an appeal for what is essentially a 'material damages' hit and run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The Gardai won't make an appeal for what is essentially a 'material damages' hit and run.

Which is why essentially these toe rags get confident and do far worse later. A hit and run should be considered extremely dangerous as the assailant obviously has other issues to hide and had no consideration to innocent persons. Odds are they would hit a pedestrian and still continue on.

They need to be caught, if the gardai made it their business to follow up on these types of criminal acts the public would be far more likely to be helpful to them and have more support for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Traffic cameras don't record anything. They can't from a legal point of view. They provide live pictures to traffic control.

Businesses cannot hand over CCTV either unless gardai request it.

Some might, but unlikely.

I presume that the gardai are involved, though unlikely they will be arsed to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Darc19 wrote:
    Businesses cannot hand over CCTV either unless gardai request it.

Not so sure about that, if a business is filming a public place and you are filmed i think you can request the footage and they have an obligation to hand it over.
    Business's will sometimes mask public area so to not have to deal with this request

Any particular reason for all the eyerolling? You could have just said about it in the first place instead.

@James 007 is on the case. Though if you look up his posts pretty much everything ends in ":rolleyes", which is a bit cheesy even for the Timothy Dalton years. Maybe it's a new weapon Q has developed, but my guess is Blofeld won't be too worried.

A silver car, I think it was either a Volkswagen Golf or Polo, swung across two lanes trying to do a u-turn and smashed into me. They then proceeded to leave the scene, illegally turning right onto Whitworth Place in the process.

@dashcamplz - lousy thing to happen. If there's any consolation it's that the other person committed a serious crime by leaving the scene of an accident. Keep in close contact with the Gardaí and insurers; you're already the injured party here.

Consider going to a solicitor first thing on Monday morning to get a paper-trail going. They may (or may not) be able to go legal on securing CCTV footage where a layperson might hit a stone wall.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Which is why essentially these toe rags get confident and do far worse later. A hit and run should be considered extremely dangerous as the assailant obviously has other issues to hide and had no consideration to innocent persons. Odds are they would hit a pedestrian and still continue on.

They need to be caught, if the gardai made it their business to follow up on these types of criminal acts the public would be far more likely to be helpful to them and have more support for them.
    I was hospitalised following a hit and run in 2013 while cycling. Left lying on the side of a road at night while the learner permit driver who was unaccompanied sped off. The Gardai just went through the motions and ticked a few boxes and seemed more interested in the colour of my clothing. I doubt they'd have any interest in a non-injury incident. (BTW the driver was 100% at fault - I did nothing wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Gerry T wrote: »
    Not so sure about that, if a business is filming a public place and you are filmed i think you can request the footage and they have an obligation to hand it over.
    Business's will sometimes mask public area so to not have to deal with this request

I assure you I know.

You may be mixing it up with a written data request for images of yourself caught on CCTV. But you have no right to images of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Darc19 wrote:
    You may be mixing it up with a written data request for images of yourself caught on CCTV. But you have no right to images of others.

You just said what I said.

Advertisement