Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are paperbacks so unwieldy

Options
  • 03-07-2021 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Big ugly briquettes.
    Coarse paper, you have to break the spine to keep them open, they weigh a blasted ton, you can’t bring them anywhere with you unless you have a huge handbag or backpack, they fill up your bookshelves too quickly, the font size is 12 I’d say, like we are all going blind.
    I feel like a big baby with these massive tomes.
    Do the publishers have a deal with some big forestry company that they can churn out so much paper? They say they are sustainable but it’s still a waste.
    Remember when you could slip a book into your coat pocket and pull it out to read on the bus? You can’t do it anymore. Thank god for kindle and mini iPad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Is a paperback really any more unwieldy than a hardback? Do they use less paper??? I doubt it. I find I generally have to break the spine on hardbacks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Totally agree. I read Hamnet recently & it could easily have been printed on a smaller font & 100 pages fewer. It's like publishers think they can charge more & sell more if it's a door stopper of a book. I guess only option is to use libraries or Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Hard backs are bound in sections. I’m not sure it is possible to break the spine of a hardback. At most, one side of the spine cover may detach from the front or back cover and flap about.
    The nicest books to hold in your hand are the Everyman ones.
    Yes, I get most of my books from the library and download too.
    It’s like the book itself is the product not the writing within.

Advertisement