Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon and "unmarked" planes

Options
  • 04-07-2021 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi, I live in North Kerry so under the Shannon flight path. I heard a plane passing over this morning (Sunday 4th July, 8:14) but seemed louder/lower than normal so said I'd check it, as I often do.
    But it didn't show up on any of the normal websites.
    I presume it was a US Army plane. Is there any site that gives info on them? I understand it won't give flight paths etc but even model of plane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Damokc wrote: »
    Hi, I live in North Kerry so under the Shannon flight path. I heard a plane passing over this morning (Sunday 4th July, 8:14) but seemed louder/lower than normal so said I'd check it, as I often do.
    But it didn't show up on any of the normal websites.
    I presume it was a US Army plane. Is there any site that gives info on them? I understand it won't give flight paths etc but even model of plane?

It's not necessarily US mil. Anyone can tell FR24 they don't want their aircraft's identity being displayed on the website, many celebrities do it for example to hopefully reduce media attention when they are travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

HTCOne wrote: »
    It's not necessarily US mil. Anyone can tell FR24 they don't want their aircraft's identity being displayed on the website, many celebrities do it for example to hopefully reduce media attention when they are travelling.

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Damokc wrote: »
    Ah, gotcha. Makes sense.

ADS-B is your friend, personally havent used FR24 for a few years seeing as they actively block aircraft.

ADS-B Pretty much shows all.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ErnieG

It was B737-700 HZ-MF1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Psychlops wrote: »
    ADS-B is your friend, personally havent used FR24 for a few years seeing as they actively block aircraft.

ADS-B Pretty much shows all.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Like the C-130 thats on the ground in BFS that just came from Kuwait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

ErnieG wrote: »
    It was B737-700 HZ-MF1.
    which is blocked by company request on certain websites.

But why did it appear lower and louder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,481 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, it can just be atmospheric conditions that make it seem lower and louder than usual, especially if your judgment is based purely on hearing it (and not seeing it). Or, it could for some operational reason have been flying at a lower altitude than usual, though I can't think off-hand what that might be.

It's not a desire to be discreet, obviously, since it made the plane more noticeable to the OP (and anyone else on the ground) and it wouldn't have made it any less noticeable to ATC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It's not a desire to be discreet
    it was definitely done for security reasons.

Yep perceived noise can be very different to actual noise, and I’m sure that a B737-700 loaded for an Atlantic crossing would be noisier than a Ryanair heading to London due to the takeoff and climb ratings combined with the lack of climb rate.

Advertisement