Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from navy to army

Options
  • 04-07-2021 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all, friend is in a bit of a pickle at the moment. He really wants to join the army but is 25 so too late. He said he would join the navy and then ask for a transfer to the army as his home and relatives , etc are all back in Dublin . Anyone know how long you have to serve to ask for a transfer? Would it be straight after recruit training you could ask for it or would you have to serve a year or 2 on top of that before asking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Hi all, friend is in a bit of a pickle at the moment. He really wants to join the army but is 25 so too late. He said he would join the navy and then ask for a transfer to the army as his home and relatives , etc are all back in Dublin . Anyone know how long you have to serve to ask for a transfer? Would it be straight after recruit training you could ask for it or would you have to serve a year or 2 on top of that before asking?

Not sure what the upper age limit is for joining the Defence forces but Id have said it is the same for specific categories,

ie I believe it is one age for enlisted persons, I think it may be another for Officers AND I think the higher age limits are for Degree holders or more specifically DI (OR what we used to call direct entry Officers).

The DF limits for age are outdated and very limited imo

Also the Naval service appears to be one of the most understaffed of the services, I would be astonished if transfers were possible and by the time you find out, it will be too late.

Is the Army not recruiting at all? I thought they were low on people too. Does this person have any qualifications that might enable them to join by other means (direct entry) as in do they have a degree or specific qualification? or trade?

For such a small DF, I'm perplexed that Basic military training is not all done in one location (even more advanced stuff), if not for cost, then to comply with a set standard. Possibly with later training occurring at the place where the person is stationed.

They should even be looking at taking on people for technical roles that doesn't involve military training. For the most part I think even in my forties I could do most of the physical stuff again still, although I'm carrying some injuries, I just wouldnt want to do it again or go back to the bottom of the heap as I looked at a recent thing where a specific technical qualification was required, but you were started at the bottom of the payscale and in terms of rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

1874 wrote: »
    Not sure what the upper age limit is for joining the Defence forces but Id have said it is the same for specific categories,

ie I believe it is one age for enlisted persons, I think it may be another for Officers AND I think the higher age limits are for Degree holders or more specifically DI (OR what we used to call direct entry Officers).

The DF limits for age are outdated and very limited imo

Also the Naval service appears to be one of the most understaffed of the services, I would be astonished if transfers were possible and by the time you find out, it will be too late.

Is the Army not recruiting at all? I thought they were low on people too. Does this person have any qualifications that might enable them to join by other means (direct entry) as in do they have a degree or specific qualification? or trade?

For such a small DF, I'm perplexed that Basic military training is not all done in one location (even more advanced stuff), if not for cost, then to comply with a set standard. Possibly with later training occurring at the place where the person is stationed.

They should even be looking at taking on people for technical roles that doesn't involve military training. For the most part I think even in my forties I could do most of the physical stuff again still, although I'm carrying some injuries, I just wouldnt want to do it again or go back to the bottom of the heap as I looked at a recent thing where a specific technical qualification was required, but you were started at the bottom of the payscale and in terms of rank.

See he's 25 and army you can join at max age of 24 while navy is max age 27. Hence why he wants to go that route. Problem with him is, he said he doesn't want to wait years and be away from family for years at sea before getting a chance to join the army. He's only worked in warehouses and call centers so wouldn't have a trade and Im fairly sure he didn't go to college after school.

In terms of staff , the whole PDF is majorly understaffed and the age limit should be increased to 27 years old all across the board not just the navy. Maybe then there wouldn't be such an issue with them being understaffed.

See he's 25 and army you can join at max age of 24 while navy is max age 27. Hence why he wants to go that route. Problem with him is, he said he doesn't want to wait years and be away from family for years at sea before getting a chance to join the army. He's only worked in warehouses and call centers so wouldn't have a trade and Im fairly sure he didn't go to college after school.

In terms of staff , the whole PDF is majorly understaffed and the age limit should be increased to 27 years old all across the board not just the navy. Maybe then there wouldn't be such an issue with them being understaffed.

I didnt know what the age limits are now till you said, I think the age limits are ridiculousIf it's 24 then it would seem thats it for joining the Army direct, could apply and see if they dont notice?? but if thats what they are? maybe try joining the army and take a case on age discrimination when they refuse?? laws may not apply to the defence forces though (many dont).

Maybe he might be the guy to change it all?

OR join the navy and see if he can get overseas missions, but just cant see how he would get out of serving in the Navy if he volunteered.

Outright, my opinion is, if he doesnt want to be in the Navy, then there is no point even applying, unless he can take the whole being away from the family and time at sea, because the Navy is going to involve that for years.
    Thats probably in part the reason they dont want to take people who are older. They have families and it adds difficulties the PDF is not willing, prepared or wants to deal with. Also it may be easier to get younger people to accept poor conditions and pay.

I didnt know what the age limits are now till you said, I think the age limits are ridiculousIf it's 24 then it would seem thats it for joining the Army direct, could apply and see if they dont notice?? but if thats what they are? maybe try joining the army and take a case on age discrimination when they refuse?? laws may not apply to the defence forces though (many dont).

Maybe he might be the guy to change it all?

OR join the navy and see if he can get overseas missions, but just cant see how he would get out of serving in the Navy if he volunteered.

Outright, my opinion is, if he doesnt want to be in the Navy, then there is no point even applying, unless he can take the whole being away from the family and time at sea, because the Navy is going to involve that for years.
    Thats probably in part the reason they dont want to take people who are older. They have families and it adds difficulties the PDF is not willing, prepared or wants to deal with. Also it may be easier to get younger people to accept poor conditions and pay.

It's not the fact of being away from family for a while, but within the army he would be based closer to home and would be home a good few weekends and evenings. Where as the navy he would be home 2 weekends every 6 weeks. 4 days every month and a half with your family is a bit tough for anyone. I know I wouldn't be able to do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It's not the fact of being away from family for a while, but within the army he would be based closer to home and would be home a good few weekends and evenings. Where as the navy he would be home 2 weekends every 6 weeks. 4 days every month and a half with your family is a bit tough for anyone. I know I wouldn't be able to do it anyway.

Sounds like its the wrong job to pursue to be frank about it . Be it army of navy he could be required to go on deployment for several months at a time.

Its not a job to be considering if your worried about getting home each evening and weekend.

• Advertisement

I was in the PDF, I could not have been in the Navy, never wanted it, would not have been for me.

Sounds like its the wrong job to pursue to be frank about it . Be it army of navy he could be required to go on deployment for several months at a time.

Its not a job to be considering if your worried about getting home each evening and weekend.

Still, I think the Navy is different, it would have a more significant impact on a persons life then being in the Navy. Im sure it is ok for some, but I understand where the OP is coming from.

I still suggest attempting to join the Army, see what they say, if they decline the worst thing that can happen is they say no, or maybe they are so stuck they will make allowances or miss it until it is too late.
    If the still have refused, and he is an able and capable person then I think this may be the person that could change it, why not try fix the age situation.
    The army would look very foolish turning down someone who is 25 when they have a personnel numbers problem imo.
    Put the boot in for an age discrimination and try fix it, thats the kind of on your feet initiative you need to get along, I know it seems like complaining, but its trying to fix the situation, by doing something.

I think (but not 100% sure) the age limits were disregarded when they needed people to join in the 70's when the troubles was in full swing, so there is precedent for it and the Army cant hide it if its true.

I was in the PDF, I could not have been in the Navy, never wanted it, would not have been for me.

Still, I think the Navy is different, it would have a more significant impact on a persons life then being in the Navy. Im sure it is ok for some, but I understand where the OP is coming from.

I still suggest attempting to join the Army, see what they say, if they decline the worst thing that can happen is they say no, or maybe they are so stuck they will make allowances or miss it until it is too late.
    If the still have refused, and he is an able and capable person then I think this may be the person that could change it, why not try fix the age situation.
    The army would look very foolish turning down someone who is 25 when they have a personnel numbers problem imo.
    Put the boot in for an age discrimination and try fix it, thats the kind of on your feet initiative you need to get along, I know it seems like complaining, but its trying to fix the situation, by doing something.

I think (but not 100% sure) the age limits were disregarded when they needed people to join in the 70's when the troubles was in full swing, so there is precedent for it and the Army cant hide it if its true.

Exactly the fact navy has 4 ships sitting in the bay due to lack of staff sums it up.

Also to reply back to the previous poster. Nobody is expecting to be home every evening and weekend but more than 4 days in 6 weeks.

Advertisement