Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 9: Cluses - Tignes (145km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mloc123 wrote: »
    I know Froome had the accident and leg break etc... But how has he declined to the point of rolling in over 30 minutes down on the stage winner?

I think ISN are going for name recognition rather than current ability.

It's a strange team...
    Michael Woods is officially their 'GC hope' but he only has one GC Top 10 from the Vuelta in 2017.

Am I missing something?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Zwift . Where fun is fast."

But Geraint is not fast. Therefore Geraint is not fun?

He looks like the kind of guy who thinks he is a mad laugh though. Bit like Wiggins

Inquitus wrote: »
    Indeed it's usually a nominal(ish) Green Points deduction. In 2011 Cav got docked 20 Green Jersey points for being OTL along with 87 other riders on the Galibier Stage 18.

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour-de-france/time-cut-penalty-puts-rojas-back-into-green-jersey-battle/

That year half the peleton would have been gone so it was different and an exception was made. Different when it is just a few riders.

I think Bahrain are gonna try drill it like Bora did last year on a stage or two. I hope not though as I rather the green jersey being won by the rider 1st over the line not over the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That year half the peleton would have been gone so it was different and an exception was made. Different when it is just a few riders

Aye if you read above my whole point, in various posts, it is that if the Ventoux stage is like that, the riders will likely game the system in that very way, it's been done a lot more than just the once!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye if you read above my whole point, in various posts, it is that if the Ventoux stage is like that, the riders will likely game the system in that very way, it's been done a lot more than just the once!

Ah fair enough. Its a dangerous game to play though but one card Cavendish has is to make sure Ala is with him. TdF won't kick Ala out of the tour if they can find any little excuse

• Advertisement

I'm thinking it's happened more recently than 2011 that a large number were OTL and they had to bend the rules. 2015 or 16 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That year half the peleton would have been gone so it was different and an exception was made. Different when it is just a few riders.

I think Bahrain are gonna try drill it like Bora did last year on a stage or two. I hope not though as I rather the green jersey being won by the rider 1st over the line not over the mountains

Is sagan even attempting for the green jersey this year? Only time ive seen him is when he crashed with ewan.

Merlier, Coquard, Demare all gone. Only green jersey contenders are cav, matthews, colbrelli, maybe bouhanni, sagan and pog

retalivity wrote: »
    Is sagan even attempting for the green jersey this year? Only time ive seen him is when he crashed with ewan.

Merlier, Coquard, Demare all gone. Only green jersey contenders are cav, matthews, colbrelli, maybe bouhanni, sagan and pog

I think there are simply too many straight forward sprinters stages for Sagan to mount a real challenge this year, and he doesn't seem able to regularly place in the top 3-5 even on those stages. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've always had it that it is part of the logic of the grupetto - stick together to attempt to make the time limit, if they don't make it, there's too many to kick out.

2016 Vuelta there were 70 off outside the time limit. There was early splits iirc, most of Team Sky didn't even make the Froome group, and effectively sat up and saved energy (which is what made it more controversial than it otherwise would've been). I think Froome would've been the only sky rider left!

A few days ago he said he was still going for it but not looking good and I don't think he is up to it. Bora gonna need to try something soon if they don't want to end up being completely anonymous in this tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A few days ago he said he was still going for it but not looking good and I don't think he is up to it. Bora gonna need to try something soon if they don't want to end up being completely anonymous in this tour

Keldermann will suck wheels the whole way to Paris and finish 9th or something

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've always had it that it is part of the logic of the grupetto - stick together to attempt to make the time limit, if they don't make it, there's too many to kick out.

2016 Vuelta there were 70 off outside the time limit. There was early splits iirc, most of Team Sky didn't even make the Froome group, and effectively sat up and saved energy (which is what made it more controversial than it otherwise would've been). I think Froome would've been the only sky rider left!

Was that one of the amazing Nairoman ambush stages ?

Keldermann will suck wheels the whole way to Paris and finish 9th or something

If he can stay on his bike.

Uran is also well set up to ninja his way to another podium

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think ISN are going for name recognition rather than current ability.

It's a strange team...
    Michael Woods is officially their 'GC hope' but he only has one GC Top 10 from the Vuelta in 2017.

Am I missing something?

Woods said in an interview after their TdF team was announced that he was really just stage hunting, even though the team named him as GC leader.

A team probably gets more TV exposure, interviews etc. if they have a GC rider so maybe that's why ISN picked someone from the team

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

He hurt his knee in the crash with Ewan. He keeps mentioning it on Instagram saying it is causing him pain still.

Wonder would WVA have any interest in going for green? Surely he’d be a good shout to do well in the hilly stages and also contest the sprints?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Uran is also well set up to ninja his way to another podium

Don’t think I ever seen Rigo go on the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bryan Coquard, Loïc Vliegen, Arnaud Démare, Jacopo Guarnieri, Stefan De Bod, Nic Dlamini, Anthony Delaplace all outside time limit

Edit: apparently dlamini is still on the course, well over an hour after O'Connor has finished! Poor guy crashed earlier, been alone for the whole day

https://twitter.com/richardmoore73/status/1411731947928313863

Dlamini ended up finishing 85 minutes after O'Connor, and 40 minutes outside the time limit. Fair play to him for staying on the bike because he probably knew a few hours before he finished that he was going to be OTL and disqualified from the race. Chapeau

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nic-dlamini-misses-tour-de-france-time-cut-by-40-minutes-but-fights-to-reach-tignes/

https://twitter.com/friebos/status/1411732562855276552

I saw this as it came up in relation to that tweet above and another man who finished OTL

https://twitter.com/StefandBd/status/1411614917552132104

Dlamini ended up finishing 85 minutes after O'Connor, and 40 minutes outside the time limit. Fair play to him for staying on the bike because he probably knew a few hours before he finished that he was going to be OTL and disqualified from the race. Chapeau

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nic-dlamini-misses-tour-de-france-time-cut-by-40-minutes-but-fights-to-reach-tignes/

https://twitter.com/friebos/status/1411732562855276552

Fair play. There was a similar lad a few years ago who refused to give up in Roubaix even though the trucks were out taking up the barriers. He even got 2 punctures and got them changed to finish the race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Fair play. There was a similar lad a few years ago who refused to give up in Roubaix even though the trucks were out taking up the barriers. He even got 2 punctures and got them changed to finish the race

I think that might have been yer man Siskiviscus (?) from Latvia? It was getting dark and they were packing up. He must have left his car keys in the changing room... been that soldier myself the odd time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was that one of the amazing Nairoman ambush stages ?
    Yes. Well more of a Contador ambush, Nario tagged on for. It was the Formigal stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

After years of watching the incredibly boring sky train dragging Froome and Thomas up hills, it is great to watch some proper individual racing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think that might have been yer man Siskiviscus (?) from Latvia? It was getting dark and they were packing up. He must have left his car keys in the changing room... been that soldier myself the odd time!

I think by the time he got to the velodrome it had been closed up and everyone was gone home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/got-velodrome-gates-closed-extraordinary-story-final-finisher-paris-roubaix-376090

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Don’t think I ever seen Rigo go on the attack

He did attack, but he's a ninja so we didn't see it happen!

velo.2010 wrote: »
    He did attack, but he's a ninja so we didn't see it happen!

He attacks when the rider in front of him attacks and stops when the rider in front stops :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement