Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 9: Cluses - Tignes (145km)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I think that might have been yer man Siskiviscus (?) from Latvia? It was getting dark and they were packing up. He must have left his car keys in the changing room... been that soldier myself the odd time!

The best thing about this story is that he came back to roubaix the following year and finished 9th

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/paris-roubaix/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

mloc123 wrote: »
    After years of watching the incredibly boring sky train dragging Froome and Thomas up hills, it is great to watch some proper individual racing again.

I stopped watching during the Sky train years. Started watching ITV's highlights again recently and thought "fuk me, Gary Emlach's gotten old :eek:".

I guess it's actually been that long since the Tour hasn't been this dull, predictable procession. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Inquitus wrote: »

That's only a valid comparison if the leaders main rivals had crashed out in previous years too.

Pog wouldn't have 6 minutes on a race-fit, unbroken Roglic

Had Froome crashed out by that point in 2014?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's only a valid comparison if the leaders main rivals had crashed out in previous years too.

Pog wouldn't have 6 minutes on a race-fit, unbroken Roglic

Or if Bernal was there or Thomas hadn’t crashed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I stopped watching during the Sky train years. Started watching ITV's highlights again recently and thought "fuk me, Gary Emlach's gotten old :eek:".

I guess it's actually been that long since the Tour hasn't been this dull, predictable procession. :eek:

Last years Tour??

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Brian? wrote: »
    Or if Bernal was there or Thomas hadn’t crashed.

I don't think Thomas ever had a hope. Bernal is the only chance Ineos have to beat Pog

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Had Froome crashed out by that point in 2014?

Yes- crashed on the cobbled stage, I think it was the first Thursday

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't think Thomas ever had a hope. Bernal is the only chance Ineos have to beat Pog

I didn’t say he could beat Pogacar. In peak form he wouldn’t be 5 minutes behind him though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yes- crashed on the cobbled stage, I think it was the first Thursday

Yep, was stage 5 I think, a great day's racing that was on the cobbles in miserable conditions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Some of those years, most I think, didn’t have an individual time trial in that first week either

The first days’ crashes may have robbed us of any semblance of a GC battle (Roglic, Thomas and more) and a sprint battle (Ewan, Demare and more)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Some amount of whingeing out of Cav and Kennaugh over Bike Exchange putting pressure on in the gruppetto in the mountains. Any goodwill at a stab at green gone for me now. Hope he's eliminated tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Some amount of whingeing out of Cav and Kennaugh over Bike Exchange putting pressure on in the gruppetto in the mountains. Any goodwill at a stab at green gone for me now. Hope he's eliminated tomorrow.

Cav looked destroyed rolling over the line, I can't see him making all the cutoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cav looked destroyed rolling over the line, I can't see him making all the cutoffs
    I'm probably overstating the extent of the whinging, but they both brought it up. Completely legit tactic imo, don't get why they'd mention it. If the wind blows today and it splits, and cav and dqs make the front and Matthews doesn't, are they going to sit up? That still wouldn't be winning it in the sprints, which is what his problem with the bike exchange tactic was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think he really only has tomorrow to worry about, the Pyernees don't look as bad as Sunday gone and the double ascent of Ventoux

retalivity wrote: »
    Think he really only has tomorrow to worry about, the Pyernees don't look as bad as Sunday gone and the double ascent of Ventoux

I don't think he has to worry about the Ventoux stage. They'll tip over it slowly the first time IMO.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't think he has to worry about the Ventoux stage. They'll tip over it slowly the first time IMO.

Yeah, I'd be amazed if anyone 'cept the escapees go at any pace up the first time. They'll all be bricking it for the second ascent.

Advertisement