Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting 5 or 10 mil Rebar cut into pieces in Dublin

Options
  • 04-07-2021 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Want to buy a length and get cut into about 2 ft lengths - Anybody know a place that would do this - need for stakes in garden. Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

https://www.proweld.ie
    Custom cutting of steel, not sure if they stock rebar but worth asking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Some of the builders merchants will lend you a disc cutter if you ask nicely.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might be as well to buy a DIY 4inch angle grinder and you'll have it for other projects in future.

Get googles and gloves as well if you do decide to buy one.

Also put something on top of the rebar when you stick it in the ground. It can be hazardous especially with kids or pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can buy 2' rebar in some builders providers - I got some about 12 months ago.

Slightly off the question, are you sure you need rebar? its very unforgiving to have 2' (well 1ft by the time you have it in the ground) lengths of metal sticking up around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

elperello wrote: »
    You might be as well to buy a DIY 4inch angle grinder and you'll have it for other projects in future.

Get googles and gloves as well if you do decide to buy one.

Also put something on top of the rebar when you stick it in the ground. It can be hazardous especially with kids or pets.

Thanks elperello - that thought occurred to me and I should buy one - and I know how dangerous they are sticking up - I have put plastic bottles etc in other cases. Thanks.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    You can buy 2' rebar in some builders providers - I got some about 12 months ago.

Slightly off the question, are you sure you need rebar? its very unforgiving to have 2' (well 1ft by the time you have it in the ground) lengths of metal sticking up around the place.

Thanks looksee - do you remember where you bought it?

And yes it is nasty - but I used it last time to bolt to sleepers and drive it down until flush with sleeper - brilliant job and haven’t budged in about six years - similar use this time to hold some logs in place that I am putting as boundary on pollinator patch at end of garden - will drive down to level of logs - have used plastic bottles and tennis balls in the past to top things like this and bamboo canes that would take your eye out when you stoop down. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh it was in Tramore in Co Waterford, McCormacks. Long trip from Dublin for some bits of rebar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

loco-colo wrote: »
    Want to buy a length and get cut into about 2 ft lengths - Anybody know a place that would do this - need for stakes in garden. Thanks,

A hacksaw will cut it handy enough if you're not looking to do hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

A bolt cutters will go through it, I've a lidl one and I've cut plenty of rebar with it

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭al2009

12mm threaded bar would nearly be as strong, easier to cut (hacksaw), available in most electrical wholesalers? Drill through the logs, push rod through and into the ground, should be stable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

italodisco wrote: »
    A bolt cutters will go through it, I've a lidl one and I've cut plenty of rebar with it

Don't know what you call rebar but I have a pair of professional quality Record bolt cutters and while they would just handle 10mm rebar I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks everybody - have several options now, Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

loco-colo wrote: »
    Thanks everybody - have several options now, Cheers.

Rather than buying, you could just hire a grinder in your local hire shop. Probably only cost 20 odd quid including a new disc.

Or as someone else said, bring the bars with you and chance your arm if they'll do it for you or let you use it for a few mins out the back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based?

Advertisement