Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daisy Chain 2 x Monitors with Laptop

Options
  • 04-07-2021 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I have the following setup:
    For home use, a Desktop PC with 2 x Dell U2717D Monitors. I have the monitors set up as a Daisychain and it works perfectly.

What I would like to do is when I am WFH with my laptop, I would like to connect my laptop to the two monitors so I essentially have 3 screens (1 laptop + 2 X Dell U2717D). My work laptop is an X1 ThinkPad Yoga 3rd Gen. The laptop has HDMI out and Thunderbolt 3 (for which I have this Adaptor). Does anyone know how I would do this with the current hardware that I have?

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

HDMI and display port cables to either monitor, and the other ends into the adapter.
    Usb c on the adapter to the the laptop.

3 Screens connected, need to go settings to configure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Depend on work tasks, but i found inconvenient to work on multi-screen setups with significant size difference. Personally can't stand "jump" from 27' to anything less than 21' - sore eyes after few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have a Dell 2720DC screen, and am looking for a second dell, maybe something like S2722DC.

I am wondering if I will be able to daisy chain. I think the P2720DC will be compatible, but can I run USB c/thunderbolt from laptop to it, and still daisychain on? I really like that the USB C can charge my laptop, and I am extremely keen to minimise cables as my laptop does leave the desk frequently.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Me on HP ZBook with G2 dock on x3 27"(laptop closed)

Proper docking station - one USB-C(+power in my case) connection to laptop and all the rest stay static on the dock.

Yes , it will cost, but this is convenience and productivity vs mess.

I don't mind getting a dock to be fair. I guess that would allow two independent screens?

bit mad we can mirror tablet and iPad screens wirelessly across a room while monitors have countless different connections and technologies and settings and still can't be convenient.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

This is the solution. I work two days in office and three from home. All i have to do is plug in my USB-C/Thunderbolt cable in either site and I'm ready to go. WFH, I literally have the setup OP is looking for. Desktop uses the same monitors as the laptop. Desktop uses the HDMI inputs and the USB-C/Thunderbolt dock the Displayports. Monitors will switch to the most recent active source. I have a Mac and prefer to use dedicated Apple wireless keyboard at home as well in the office but you could very easily get a USB switch and share the mouse and keyboard to reduce clutter. Anything else is messing.

Edit: I might add that basically it's also completely interchangable with any laptop that has a Thunderbolt connection. A friend of mine and his wife use a USB-C dock interchangeably with a Dell and M1 Macbook with no issues. Same here in work, we have a mixture of Dell and Apple devices and it's fine.

Apart from the Dell docks. Those are horrible for anything else but a Dell laptop but are you really surprised :)

So i discovered some people at work are using dual monitors, on a daisy chain, their laptop us not using a separate charger and is only using a USBC to monitor 1. They do not seem to be having issues, but I am not sure why or if there has been any modification, as so many forum threads seem to suggest the USBC setup to dual monitors cant handle the bandwidth and charge requirements? A dock is obviously the safe bet, but considering my screen has lots of USB, hdmi, DP ports etc, it is effectively a dock, and id rather keep the 100 quid cost of a dock, if its not gaining me something i dont already have.

😎

Advertisement