Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDS GOLF SOCIETY FOTA ISLAND JULY 24 11AM.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And probably in use when he gets to it!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I’ll fight ya for it…joking I’ll be robbing the OH’s diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Great day in fota thanks Break80. Going along steadily with 17pts on the front but fell apart scratching the last 3 holes (putting it down to the savage heat). Great golf by jarietta in our group taking 2nd place. Steady golf but Golfnut with out any luck loads of birdie putts but just couldn't get anything to drop. Think WoodyG hurt his should half way round and that didn't help his game. Fota as always was in immaculate condition and a challenge and joy to play on a day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sun shining, great company, OK golf.

As always a grea day out with Boards. Myself and the missus treated ourselves. Staying in the Harrington suite in Fota, so figured I must be on to a winner.

Meant I could get up and get set at a leisurely pace. Was able to pop to the driving range and get properly loosened up so was feeling in good shape starting off.

And I started well with a straightforward par on the first. Game was downhill from there. Got through the front 9 with no scratches on the card, but only 15 points. Few too many 1 pointers.

Really struggled off the tee all day. And really struggled to make a putt too. The golf in between was pretty solid, with irons working well and hit a lot of really nice half/three quarter wedges.

Game slipped on the back 9 with 3 scratches in there. I finished well though.

On the practice range before I'd managed to get a good swing thought in my head with the driver. However I completely forget it and only remembered it again on the 18 tee. Proceeded to hit a great drive on 18. A testing par 5, decided to have a swing with my 2nd, even if water is in play around the green. Hit a great second and came up a yard or so short of the front of the green. So managed to finish with the highlight of my golfing day, even if I still only made par.

Had the company of Snackbox20 and a new member, Aleynaa, on the day. 2 nice steady golfers. Snackbox20 was generally straight as an arrow all day off the tee, and putted very well. He had a day of contrasts, either 3 pointers, or scratches.

Aleynaa had the joy of being in the first group of her first ever Boards outing. A few nervy tee shots, but can see why shes in demand on classics as can get it well out there when she connects off the tee. Despite thinking she was playing terrible, she kept the scoreboard ticking over with a great par on the index 3 for 4 points, and a few nice 3 pointers mixed in between.

Looking forward to the next one. Cheers again folks for making it another great day out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Super weather but got a little intense for the last 4/5 holes I thought. Great company with Seve and Tiger, some serious distance from Seve, think he could have won LD on a selection of holes. Golfing Gods decided to abandon Tiger, we've all had one of those days.

Having not golfed much this year delighted with the round, I'm an unashamed fair weather golfer so welcomed that heat, decent off the tee and putter was behaving so happy with the score but didn't think it was a win so dashed off. Given the effort put in behind the scenes was happy to make it back to carpark to give the Capitan the respect for his efforts.

Also happy to see an EV driver clean sweep.

Roll on next outing.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Really enjoyable round with Benny79 and Concerned2 today. Course was in great condition, and the facilities are superb. Weather was amazing as well, but it got pretty stifling at times. Definitely takes its toll after a while out there.

27 points for me, and I was a bit all over the place. Driving was either superb (won the longest drive! :D) or absolute shite (:(). Some decent iron play in the middle, and some really bad putts. I actually 4 putted one one green, which was pretty embarrassing. As always, really enjoyable round, and great to see everyone out and enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aleynaa

My first outing and it was very enjoyable. Thanks to SpaceCoyote and Snackbox20 who played fairly steady golf and were great company. Apologies, I had to leave before the prizes as I got a phone call, to say I won the men’s captains prize to the ladies at home and I had to rush back for the presentation. It made up for the very shaky golf that I played today!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...meant to say, greenside bunkers need about an inch of sand

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Agreed, I only hit one of the greenside ones, and they were too bare.

Perfect level for the fairway bunkers, which I found a lot of

@Aleynaa congrats on the home win

Post edited by spacecoyote on

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Finally getting time to gather my thoughts and just in off my 3rd days golf, home course Sunday comp, shot 41 Pts and 79 strokes delighted but now bushed 😁😁

Absolutely enjoyed yesterdays outing, huge credit and massive thank you to Break80 for organising the outing and also for getting a chance to play on a host course of an Irish Open.

When I arrived at the course, I was like 😲😲, will I be able to play this?? I'm glad I spent that earlier time at the range tuning up my 3 wood and practicing some chipping.

I had great company on the course, delighted to finally get to play with SpaceCoyote and it was great to meet Alleynaa on her first outing. Great golf played by you both (btw congratulations Alleynaa on your win at your captain's day) Space, your shot on the 18th was super and Alleynaa you were so consistent with your hybrid off the tee.

As space mentioned it was a day of contrasts, pars and scratches, I will need to restock or try find some new golf balls. I have donated so many in the last days to so many clubs.

Looking forward to Castlecomer, congrats to Slave1 on your win and all others who won prizes yesterday, jarrieta, kilth, and Alan, apologies if I forgotten anyone.

Thanks again for a great day

• Advertisement

I first visited Fota about 10 years ago and fell in love with the place, it is an amazing location. I never got to see any of the golf course though and my first experience of that was when I went to the Irish Open in 2014. The golf course blew me away and when I was captain of the society the following year, it was a very easy choice to host my Captains Prize. I'll never forget playing the last 3 holes in the dark.... nearly cost me the GOTY! 😨 I've only been lucky enough to play it once since then so was really looking forward to getting back.

Well we dumped the kids and myself and the missus made a weekend of it. Unfortunately there was no room available at the inn so we had to slum it in Fawlty Towers up the road. That's another story! 🙄

Was fortunate to have the good company of Tigerwood and Slave1. Tiger was not on his game this weekend and I think the sun might have gotten to him but as usual the banter was great with him. Slave hit the first shot straight up the middle and wasn't far from doing the same with every strike on the day. A really solid golfer, not to much trouble found and made some fantastic up and downs. He deserved his win, congrats.

My own game was pretty good I felt. However, not really knowing the course meant on occasion I was taking wrong lines and leaving myself blocked out. Ball striking was solid, but did suffer from a few hooks and duffs with being a bit rusty. Putting on the day killed me. I had 4 3putts on the front 9, all of which should have been handy 2 putts. Thankfully the putter did work on 11 and I drained a nice 20 footer for the only 2 of the day to take home the spoils.

Found the back bunker on 3 and the only criticism of the otherwise fantastic golf course I would have was the greenside bunkers were lacking in sand. It was always going to be difficult for me to hold the green and of course my ball rolled out into the water. Had a similar bunker experience on 16. Two scratches then for me on those two holes was joined by another on the 5th when I pulled my drive into the trees left, but after finding it, my knock out recovery was not executed as it should have been and rebounded off a tree and right now a monkey is probably rolling it around his enclosure 😀 Yet again I pulled my second on 8 to loose yet another ball and the trend took a pause till the 18th when I did it again with my tee shot to loose another ball! Loosing balls was all to easy on Saturday and after flushing my drive down 10 to leave 167 to the pin and deciding 8 iron was the club but it turned out to be to big and it too went swimming. I donated about half a dozen balls to the good people of Cork and it was a case of what could have been for my score! still 32 points was not a bad haul after so many mishaps. With 4 3putts and 4 scratches it was just frustrating knowing that I had better in me.

Well done to all winners on the day and it was great to see a decent turn out for what was a long drive for a lot of you, many thanks for making the effort. Big thanks to Captain Break80 for organising another great Boards event. Not sure I can make the next one unfortunately, but I'll see yiz soon. Will stick results up shortly

Official Results

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Hi Golfers.

Round 2 of our adventure's this year brought us to my home club Fota Island.

I am glad ye enjoyed it and thought it worth the trip. Congrats to the top 3 with nice steady rounds. I should have mentioned the greenside bunkers in a post earlier. It seems to be some type of policy in the course. I have seen plenty of machinery used in the bunkers and they look very well presented but they are always very compact. You really need to get the club open and well through the ball. No sexy flop shots in this course. Members always mentioned this but never any change. The fob you are given is linked to a live system in the proshop which can show serious hold ups on busy days and the ranger can get out to speed things up quickly.

Next roadtrip is Castlecomer Co Killkenny. This is a real hidden gem which ye will enjoy. West Waterford later in the month which is still going at present.

That's about it for now Ladies and Gents.

Talk soon.

BREAK80

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Course in great condition, pity it was way too hot out there, for me hard to get going in that heat. Thanks for the effort organising this, really appreciated, mostly this year (also last) with the uncertainty at all levels

Really nice the food and drinks in the balcony too.

Very surprised getting on second place after too many silly mistakes, very happy. Unfortunately I am going to miss the next two outings and hopefully will be able to play Enniscrone, I love that place

Thanks for the good work again

Official Results

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Concerned2

Had a very enjoyable round with Kiith and Benny79 , both great guys and much better golfers than myself. All aspects of my game had been trending downwards in the past couple of weeks so my expectations were pretty low for the day. Turned up a bit early to get a bit of confidence in my swing at the driving range (amazing facilities with a grass range and a lovely green to practice chipping/bunker shots) but couldn't even get the pitching wedge working consistently I knew it was going to be a long day ! The course is really lovely, every hole is challenging and you would really need your A-game to clock up a decent score there. Only my 2nd outing with the society and both days were scorchers, its amazing the organizers can guarantee such weather for these outings 😉 Thanks Break80 for the work you put into this, it's one of the top courses I've ever played .

I think you'll need to give me a few lessons Jarrieta, scoring 35 and finishing second on a day when you can't get going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

First of all Id like to thank my playing partners Kilth and new member concerned 2 good bit of craic was had and made a very enjoyable round. Another big hitter in Kilth my god he sends it! Something I am lacking at the moment.. But have to say Fota island is up there with one of my favourite courses plus I have fond memories of the Irish Open which I travelled to on my own and a course I won on in a holiday trip a few years back..

33pts for me and a bad one at that! Didnt feel my game is there at all! and I am putting in serious work! If there was a blemish to the course is was as people have stated the bunkers and mainly the fact I found a lot of them! lol.. My sand-wedge was just bouncing up and thinning it! but make no mistake, it really is just a case of knowing how to play them as Break80 alluded too.

I have to say it was fantastic to see so many travel down to the 2ND Capital :D as I know Break80 puts in some serious miles along with a select few! So hats off to everyone who make it! and Gave Break80 a rest! You really are blessed calling that place home.

Cant wait for Castlecomer really is a hidden Gem and the reason I love boards when it takes you to courses like these.

B

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Was looking forward to returning to Fota for a long time, enjoyed it last time and Saturday it lived up to every expectation. While I didn’t play brilliantly, I played steady and played it one hole at a time. If a green was difficult, I laid up, chip and a couple of putts for bogey and off I went. Thankfully my driver was working well for me (except the 2nd) and I launched a few over the 230m mark with the best being 245m. I only found two fairway bunkers all day so no experience of the green side ones except for seeing my playing partners struggle once or twice. A silly scratch on the 12th and a few three putts cost me a decent score but was still delighted with my final score.

It’s all well and good playing a top course but it’s all the more enjoyable when the company is top drawer as well, alanm, roadrunner and captain break80 made the round for me. Super bunch of lads and ladies in the society and every day out is a great day.

Was a long day for me as I left the midlands, drove 2:40 to get down to Fota, play the round and the head to Dublin for my mini birthday staycation, was well worth it though.

See ye all again in a few weeks.

Advertisement