Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Thomas - An eyesore in the heart of Limerick

• 05-07-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but if Limerick City Council had any small notion of what they were at, just minimum standards or any bit of backbone they'd direct Brown Thomas to make some sort of an effort with the outside of their bleak, drab, cheap and nasty tenement-style building.

Seriously, half-blind architects in the darkest slums of Soviet Russia would vomit at the sight of the place.

I also think its relevant that they are high-end retail and supposedly earning one of the highest revenues of their chain in the Country. Presumably an exterior renovation would be a drop in the ocean out of their profits over the space of a year or even a decade.

They obviously couldn't give a damn and in this case somebody should make them care.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You forgot to say "rant over" there at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Hoboo

A strongly worded letter to that effect should settle the matter. If no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire, The A-Team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been brought up before, but if Limerick City Council had any small notion of what they were at, just minimum standards or any bit of backbone they'd direct Brown Thomas to make some sort of an effort with the outside of their bleak, drab, cheap and nasty tenement-style building.

Seriously, half-blind architects in the darkest slums of Soviet Russia would vomit at the sight of the place.

I also think its relevant that they are high-end retail and supposedly earning one of the highest revenues of their chain in the Country. Presumably an exterior renovation would be a drop in the ocean out of their profits over the space of a year or even a decade.

They obviously couldn't give a damn and in this case somebody should make them care.....
    I think you need to read up on the powers that the council actually possess. The building isn't derelict or in disrepair. They can't force anyone to refurbish their private property for aesthetics reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

I think you need to read up on the powers that the council actually possess. The building isn't derelict or in disrepair. They can't force anyone to refurbish their private property for aesthetics reasons.

In fairness there's a few buildings that could do with demolition-I'd put Penneys in that category too.
    But the council don't have any powers to do that as has been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That building is of it's time - there's a few more like it around the city-centre, e.g. Sarsfield House by Rutland Street, and BT's isn't the worst of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Jesus I've seen a lot worse. A bit dated now but dont look that bad

To a certain extent I'd have some agreement that the building doesn't look particularly nice when it's held up against the more traditional Georgian style architecture in the old city centre.

But WTF is your point? I mean realistically, what do you genuinely think Limerick Council can do in the year 2021 to correct something that was built in the 1970's, especially considering the amount of money and employment that's been generated by Todds/BT for the city over the decades?

I mean fukc it, even the bus stop outside the place was the starting point for half the pubs and restaurants in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Paddico wrote: »
    Jesus I've seen a lot worse. A bit dated now but dont look that bad

Have a look at what was knocked.'ll acknowledge that it's not quite Hawkins House in Dublin but not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Jesus, the council playing hardball with BT would be some move,
    If they packed up you might as well just leave the tumbleweed blow through the town

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

No cant blame them for Todds, they've made a dogs arse of the street in the last 50 - 60 years though, some lovely buildings were pulled down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks for all of the replies Folks.

I do absolutely understand the collective sentiment on here which obviously is not at all in agreement to my initial gripe!

I would however be curious as to what influence or enforcement local Authorities have at their disposal in other Countries. Now, obviously I'm talking about attractive, pleasant City Centre environments where the buildings look smart, impressive and well-maintained.

Also - It's just a plain fact that if people have low standards and low expectations combined with no desire to see change for the better then they might just get exactly what they deserve...and be overjoyed with it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

In fairness , the original building burned down ,so the 'modernist' new building was probably a quick fix in a way. Its not the worst building on our main street. The buildings across the road have no character whatsoever. You would almost long for the days when Dunnes had a store there.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

The one that struck me as hideous is that Eir building / telephone exchange on Roches Street.

Yeah, direct your ire at what Dunnes are allowed to do with an abandoned building for years.

BTs are almost single handedly keeping the city centre alive. Its already a shadow of what it was, although plenty zombie activity in the later hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"It was like that when we got here"

The building dates from the early 1960s. It was built for Todd's of Limerick to replace their previous store on the same site, which burned down in 1959. Brown Thomas didn't acquire the Switzer Group, which by then included Todd's, until 1991, nearly thirty years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

They're up for sale now. Maybe the new owners will see this thread and do it up a bit

Advertisement