Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Should a irish ship be going near anywear like north africa without air defence or a air search radar fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Depends where in North Africa you are talking about. As a rule though for EUFOR missions in the med, the threat is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We already have, on a few occasions.

But I wasn't posting the Red Sea mission as a suggestion, just as a development of interest in western naval operations.

That is very much a job for full-fat destroyers and frigates, maybe an Amphibious Warfare Ship or a Carrier, if the option to counter-strike Houthi ground positions is taken.

The Seychelles are only involved for geographical legitimacy, in reality their ships and military aircraft are less capable than ours.

We have entered a wierd place in time when the UK Defemce Journal is quoting Sinn Fein on Irish Defence Matters.

Well this is a different way of going about recruitment

• Advertisement

It all helps.

But, the Government and the Defence establishment will have to get much more serious and far more creative about the quality of the career they are offering.

Happy Christmas to all my fellow Military Forum regulars.

Looks like the rangers will have some fun in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I can't read this. Can anybody post the text please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Naval Service needs investment if Ireland is to patrol Atlantic like the Russians, says Eamon Ryan

Green Party leader says State’s internet connectivity will be ‘less at risk’ if there were more undersea cable connections with continental Europe and possibly even Japan

Eamon Ryan said the Naval Service to be expanded in order to protect Ireland's underwater infrastructure

Cormac McQuinn

The Naval Service needs investment and the ability to patrol the Atlantic like Russia does, Green Party leader Eamon Ryan has said.

In a round-table interview with reporters, Mr Ryan said there was no specific threat to underwater infrastructure nor does he have any evidence that Russia is interested in Ireland’s energy plans but he added: “They do patrol the Atlantic and we have to be able to patrol equally well.”

He was responding to a question about the security of fibre-optic cables and future offshore renewable energy i the wake of Russian naval activity off the south coast of Ireland.

The Minister for the Environment and Communications said that in general the security of internet connections will be “less at risk, if whatever warship wants to cut one” if there were backup connections to other European countries and possibly even as far away as Japan through the Arctic.

“That sounds a bit ‘science fiction-y’ or a bit mad, but that’s actually within reach,” he said.

[MOD] Snipped article after the first few paragraphs. We could do without copyright violation problems.[/MOD

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting Blind...

AGS have tender out for helicopter maintance. In the tender it notes that a H145 will be joining the 2 EC 145s in 2025.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Where did they come up with the 11,500 figure from anyway? I would presume that the Army is going to be restructured away from the 1970s type conventional combat light infantry brigade structure to something more suited for whatever the Government thinks the Army should be doing. And that restructuring is probably going to result in a different required headcount, likely of different job description ratios

In regards to the Army they have already made appointments of senior advisors with backgrounds in military to the Army Force Design office. These people will set the the roles, formations unit sizes and base locations in the next 6 months

Its already in the CoDF implementation plan. Some changes already in place at organisational level, but the entire ORBAT needs to be updated in line with modern (NATO) formations. 11500 is the entire DF. the weightings toLand, Air and Sea have to change given our geographic reality. Its currently 6:1:1. Naval Infantry anyone? Air Defence regiment under the Air Force?

I don't even think it was 1970s, it was a 1940s ORBAT based in part on UK doctrine, expanded in the 1970s to have more infantry units based on the border (without actually having them at full strength) modified slightly in the 1990s to an all arms light infantry with armoured and artillery supports, as well as combat service supports. In reality, the entire organisation revolves around guard duties and ATCP, and this has to end. Its an inefficient use of costly military resources that is not mirrored anywhere else in the EU. At least the tourists get to see the folks doing public duties in the BA. All ours are behind locked gates.

Apperently the older boys in green are in for some shock for the new layout of the army. Its going to be designed for purpose. One of teh questions is do we need a cavalry corps and if so for what? When was the last time they deployed as cavalry overseas and the same goes for other support corps. I know your joking about naval infantry but as you say we are an island nation. It will be interesting to see if the curragh fights back.

The other major interferance is political with elections coming up. I dont think some of you in the south and dublin understand the anger still in towns like cavan and mullingar about the closure of the barracks.

There is very intense lobbying going on to have them reopened. One TD even suggested that since the south has got a HEMS helicopter that O Neill barracks should be reopened and 112 relocated to it.

Either way Fun Tines ahead

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Right, it's in the CoDF implementation plan, but surely it would make more sense for the group to finish their deliberations, announce the new orbat, and then figure out how many of what sort of troops they need, instead of just saying right now "We're going for 11,500" and ending up with 1,500 of the wrong type of troop.

I see the Spanish Army have established a brand new type of brigade formation...The King Alfonso Brigade? Might be the type of thing the Irish need. Seeing as they are down to only two brigades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

To be fair, the 11,500 figure is for the end point of LoA2, and will be a challenge even then, any deliberations on a new Orbat are going to be well done before we hopefully see any meaningful increase in strength.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the political backlash in the Barracks towns, thats already been priced in a few elections ago, and only a fool would claim to see a way to having ancient Barracks reoccupied as 21st Century military installations again.

My guess is that the announcement of the Army Headquarters will be withheld until after the general election which must be held by late Feb '25 at the latest.

And really options for it are pretty limited, as we have previously discussed.

The most important activity now is to see the shakeup being active, energetic and ambitious, both from the point of view of slaughtering a few sacred cows, and keeping the DF in the media as an exciting prospect for a stimulating career and a good life.

• Advertisement

There are still a few elected dumbasses suggesting Army HQ should be in Mullingar, even though the DoD no longer own the barracks there.

Actually they do still own the land it has not being signed over to the LDA yet despite the money the LDA have spent on design teams. A lot of LDA land around the country has not actually being signed over to them yet.

The 1st sacred cow i would be slaughtering would be the Equestrian boys in mckee . Send them to the curragh or the national stud or even better P45s and use there space in Mckee to build good accomadation for the younger men and women base there

Preach, Brother.

The greatest waste of Defence Money is the pony club.

If any of them picked up a weapon and did a 24 hr I might have some respect, they don't even carry out a ceremonial role. Absolutely no military tradition of horses in the Irish Defence Forces, except for the Blue Hussars.

These are not the Blue Hussars..

However, they are an important element of competitive equestrian success in Ireland. I wouldn't be inclined to feck the baby out with the bathwater.

The music school and equine could all be put under a single command and expand the horses into a ceremonial presence with the bands.

Like it or not, horse sport is Ireland's one truly world class presence.

I dont think they should be taking up valuable space in McKee where no one outside of the Army know they exist.

They have zero inpact on the irish horse business unlike willie mullins.

If they are to stay part of the defence forces they should be in the national stud where the public can see them

I'm inclined to agree with my old mate Larbre on this and feel that the horse element of the DF should be enhanced to include ceremonial duties. Parades etc....

Horse racing, yes. A huge industry bringing billions to the state annually. Showjumping no. Different type of horse. We have actual horses based in the DFTC that have not set one single hoof on the Curragh Racecourse on the other side of the M7. They would be as out of place there as a Jack Russell at Greyhound Racing.

The equestrian school is a relic of the days of landed gentry, when Lord Inbred-Fairwealthy III roamed his property on horseback, chasing small wildlife and peasants through the hedgerows, with their top hat, red coat and boots polished by the same unfortunate who's job was to polish the saddle.

It has no place in modern or even historic Ireland, who's people used Cobs to plough the land, and donkey & cart to get about. Ireland bred hunters for the Crown forces to subjugate the rest of the empire. Its not something we should celebrate. (We still do, you'd be surprised how many Irish bred horses participate in the Trooping of the Colour).

Did Mary Lou & Crew get to you over christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

On a bit of a tangent, but I've found myself having a look through some of the Foreign Affairs Archives online for some reasons, and its frustrating/amazing to see the same fecking discussions today happening nearly 100 years ago. From 1926 for example:

Of course, a prevalent misconception appears to prevail about the question of neutrality of nations generally, apart from our peculiar position in the British Commonwealth. It must be remembered that neutrality depends on force and not declarations, and that if it suits other powers to violate any country's neutrality, they will do so with impunity unless it can put up sufficient force to make it awkward for them to do so. When the European War started, Belgium and Greece declared themselves neutral, and did not mobilise, while Holland and Switzerland also declared themselves neutral, but backed their declarations by mobilisation of all possible military and naval resources with the result that their frontiers were respected.

https://www.difp.ie/volume-3/1926/coastal-defence/740/#section-documentpage

Advertisement