Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Leo doesn't have a clue is what I'm going with!

In not unrelated news, the Chairman of the NATO Military Committee was in town today for a meeting with the CoS. Admiral (OF9) Rob Bauer is a former Netherlands Chief of Defence, and chairs the CHoDs committee which sits under the North Atlantic Council of Heads of State and Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Remember a few months back Varadkar was asked about fighter jets for the AC and his response was: " We could only afford 5 or 6 and that wouldn't make any difference. Now I see the government has announced 800 million to be spent on a road / a stadium and various other infrastructure projects in the 6 counties! Priorities all wrong.

We've actually got the money to do it all. Its a lack of political will and strategic thinking, not cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

If he was I’d expect something a bit more accurate.

• Advertisement

The irony of a Mirror columnist bemoaning lefties is something else.

But despite the total lack of actual journalism, the thrust of it is nothing we haven't all discussed on here for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

"As Matt Carthy told me last week"

I lost interest after that. Maybe he should speak to someone In the defence forces?

Some of the troops in the Golan Heights got to go on an interesting Road Trip Yesterday

A long overdue addressing of an important aspect of recruitment and retention. Lets hope its implemented thoroughly and quickly.

Oh FFS, this is just embarrassing, does the Government really think that when the EU is trying to take defence matters seriously that a candidate from a nation that isn't would get a position like this?

https://www.thejournal.ie/sean-clancy-in-running-for-top-european-military-job-6318236-Mar2024/?utm_source=twitter_short

• Advertisement

They were full sure the Previous DCOS would get it too.

That said, other states couldn't spare a General. Ours haven't much on the calendar at the moment..

A lot of force restructuring and transformation meetings I daresay.

Maybe a non-aligned Chair is exactly what the EUMC needs, to highlight a bit of distinctiveness from NATO.

I'm sure the CoS wouldn't have let his name go forward unless there was at least a fighting chance of success.

It could be the back-scratch from the occasion V.Adm Mellett didn't get it .

On a political level you would never know whats going on and it could be the EU doing the government a favour as not only the COS but also 10 senior Staff would be required.

If they leave for the EU it opens up a lot of promotions at home and also might make the new command structure easier to fill with a fresher broom.

Given our stance on defence I find it hard to think the other members might be interested in doing us a favour in the area. I mean pretty much all of them are ramping up defence spending and we have Leo being stupid at Munich. Defence is escalating in the EU and looks like it’s going to only increase and we are still playing silly buggers about the wonders of neutrality.

I just can’t see why it would go to the General?

Its not really a military command. In fact it isn't at all. Its just an administrative chairmanship that requires military knowledge, and obviously experience enough to gain the respect of the Council.

Its more a diplomatic position, just like any of the civilian Councils attached to the EU, so its not really about the size of the military the candidate is coming from, its whether or not the Member State can kiss enough babies to swing it.

The Generals in the Defence Forces must have been chatting with there collegues in AGS over pay considering the issues AGS leadership is having

• Registered Users Posts: 3 falloutintrees

Age is going up to 39 years of age as of the 29th of March.

I'm curious to see how many between 29-39 will go for it.

I dont even think SIPTU would come out with such a statement below

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41364301.html

I met him once before and had a chat with him. He sounded very resonable i dont know whats happened him over the last 18 months

• Advertisement

It all went wonky after his trip to Qatar, where his views on the LGBTQ community suddenly became very vocal and right wing. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/04/06/gerard-craughwell-amends-seanad-interests-to-include-pre-world-cup-doha-trip-funded-by-qatari-government/

Independent Senator Gerard Craughwell has amended his statement of interests for 2022 to include an all-expenses paid trip to Qatar in advance of the World Cup in December.

Senator Craughwell flew business class from Dublin to the capital Doha and stayed for four nights in the five-star Ritz Carlton Hotel. The trip was paid for in its entirety by Qatar’s National Human Rights Committee which is funded by the Qatari government.

Senator Craughwell was part of a delegation of 16 parliamentarians representing the Geneva-based International Labour Organisation (ILO). They were brought to Qatar to be shown the working conditions for migrant workers there.

New stadiums

The Gulf state has come under sustained criticism for its treatment of migrant workers who were brought in to build the seven new stadiums, as well as a new airport, roads, hotels and infrastructure for the tournament. The government there has claimed that no more than 50 workers died during World Cup construction and a further 560 people suffered life-changing injuries. But the figures have been disputed by international non-governmental agencies that put fatalities at approximately 6,500 during the 10 years of construction.

Senator Craughwell told The Irish Times on Thursday that he had asked the organisers about the cost of the trip and was told that all the flights and hotels had been discounted. He said the cost of the hotel was €200 per night or €800 in total. He said the cost of the business-class flights was €1,000 each way, or €2,000 in total.

Upon returning to Ireland, Mr Craughwell did not include the cost of the flight or accommodation as a registrable interest. However, he amended his statement last week. In an amendment published on March 31st, under the Travel Facilities heading, he has stated: “Return Flights to and from Qatar, four nights accommodation and meals.” He added that the facilities had been supplied by the National Human Rights Committee, Qatar. He also noted that the “completion of this heading is entirely voluntary”.

The Senator said he was not aware he was required to include the trip among his interests. Following media reports on his trip he made inquiries to the Standards in Public Office and then to the Clerk of Seanad Éireann. He was ultimately directed to the Committee of Members Interests for the Upper House.

Its chairman, Senator Shane Cassells, informed him that the committee’s recommendation was he should make a return as the trip had been paid for by the Qatari government and could not be regarded as part of his Seanad role.

“They told me that when you travel on a trip on behalf of some organisation, you need to disclose it,” said Senator Craughwell.

He added that he had been on another ILO trip to Qatar in the past and the Qatari Human Rights Commission was anxious to bring European parliamentarians to Doha to show how the treatment of workers had changed.

Migrant workers

The delegation was brought to accommodation where the workers lived, visited medical centres, and was briefed by the Red Crescent. He said the Qatari government had made “serious inroads” compared to the past but the situation remained far from ideal. He said that each “city” of migrant workers comprised 60,000 men and they were completely segregated from women and the cities were patrolled by armed security personnel.

He accepted that access was controlled during his visit. He said he managed to speak independently with migrant workers during one afternoon in Doha and was left in no doubt “it was a tough place to earn a living”.

Senator Craughwell faced criticism from other politicians for travelling to Qatar for a trip funded by its government and designed to cast its treatment of workers in the best possible light. Fellow Senator Malcolm Byrne noted that Qatar treats homosexuality as a crime and also for its poor record on human rights. The Senator later said the authorities in Qatar had led the delegation “on a merry dance” and had tried to dupe it on the issues involved.

I see in the Times today the defence forces are 60% short of manpower for the EUBG because the DOD will not pony up the cash. I know its not the same as been deployed to a warzone but times has changed.

Its like last week i was with a client in the North West and he was bitching that he cant get staff and his longterm staff were leavinig him. Turns out dumbass is not paying the going rate and he wonders why he has no staff, Its the same with the DOD.

Whatever happened to orders in the Military?

Yes I realise forcing the issue would only compound existing retention issues, but the State has an obligation here, and when push comes to shove, its an Army, you're going where you're ordered.

If anyone has a sub to the Irish Times there is an interesting story about a irish company made up of Former defence forces and AGS members and the Libyian National Army. Very Important to note they are not doing anything wrong as its just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

According to the IT article what they were/are doing is in breach of a UN arms embargo - I'm not an expert on military legal matters so not sure how accurate this statement is :

"The provision of military training to forces in Libya has been banned under a UN arms embargo since 2011, which forbade “technical assistance, training, financial or other assistance, related to military activities” in a bid to stop the violent breakdown of the oil-rich country as it was torn apart by rival armed factions after the toppling of former leader Muammar Gadafy." (Source: Irish Times)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭vswr

Kind of ironic, Libya provided illegal training for Ireland, now Ireland are doing the same.

One thing that is off about the story is the payments. There is no way a professional would be going out to libya for just €300 a day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's worth pointing out that the Libyan National Army is not the army of the UN recognised government but rather the russian backed gov in the east of the country

But it is backed by our 3 leading export partners in the arab world Egypt, Saudi & UAE. We as a nation can not keep picking what we are morally outraged by as we say nothing because some of these nations are buying bulk loads of baby milk and beef but yet some of these are the worst nations with human rights abuse.

They also have LE Aisling i wonder did the any of our ERAs go out to show the locals how to work her.

Not that its right, As bad as it is every country in the world as former military working in PMCs and we cant expect people from this country to be no different.

A certain Military commentaor that is usually called by media to ask about situations like this is very quiet today. Would it be because he works for them?

• Advertisement

There is no functioning government in Libya. If there was, there would be no need for Eufor Med, and there would be no Med refugee crisis.

Advertisement